• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

You can make gumbo out of anything!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
lol i'm not 100% sure it was "teriyakat" .. maybe it was dog..in that case.. geeze i feel like a traitor.. sssh.. don't tell my dog.

i'd still like to think it was cat.

spaghetti said:
SAY WHAT??!! :vangry

Yes, yes, I realize that Batray was being culinarily incorrect and apostate but do remember she, too, is a native Californian. Here we have no problem with Udon noodles al buro though we do get funny looks in the Chinese market. One has to be constantly on guard so that the cultural weirdness of the place doesn't get out of hand but a little adventure now and then is a good thing. I even put cilantro and lime juice in my piri-piri and no African worth his/her salt would dream of such heresy.

:rofl

BatRay said:
Mmm jambalaya is one of the greatest things on earch. It's good over pasta too.

:confused:
That's weird: I don't remember writing that. I think I meant that it's good over rice. I've never had jambalaya over pasta. Must've been thinking about pasta at the time. Mmm, pasta...:inlove

Reactions: Oldsarge
BatRay said:
:confused:
Mmm, pasta...:inlove
Spaghetti is here to stay, darling...:inlove

However, you guys made me curious about this exotic stuff: I'm open to new experience and may give it a try.
My curiosity to Sarge: did you ever try gumbo or other recipes with horse or donkey meat? I think this may sound inacceptable to many americans, but for example we italians do eat horse meat (and it definitely does NOT taste like chicken...).

Hey if you wish, I can send you my sister's recipe for chicken jambalaya. It's delicious beyond words. No pasta though; rice is the ticket :D

Horses and donkeys, though....no thanks. The dewormers and medications given to horses make their meat potentially carcinogenic. Besides, ugh...

I never have made an equine gumbo but I must allow as how zebra on the barbecue is absolutely top drawer. Actually, I expected it to be perfectly edible but the chrome yellow fat was a little surprising and I wasn't sure it would be really good. It was.

I'm afraid that the American reluctance to eat horses is due to the British influence.

Of course, the Koreans wonder why we're so opposed to eating dogs and cats . . .

Just because you can make gumbo out of anything doesn't mean you should, perhaps.

Last edited:
Send, please Bat Ray: I trust your taste if you say it's so delicious.
While for the other thing, I'm afraid that everything we eat is potentially carcinogenic. But maybe this is not the moment to discuss such a sad issue: my fat tuscan Christmas food marathon is on the way. Duck ragout, wild boar in every fashion, fried mushrooms, pork liver fried in its own fat. Colesterhol, here I come. And Merry Christmas to Deeper Blue.
Edit: Oldsarge, a special Merry Christmas to you. I don't know if you believe or care about the religous aspect of it, but I know you're going to have a great, outstanding supper. Cheers my friend.

Last edited:
Agreed, Spaghetti :) I'll talk to my sis and send the recipe soon.

Your feast sounds like it's going to be amazing. They say Italians have very low cholesterol, too! Hey I wouldn't mind eating like that especially with the excuse that it's healthy :D

Christmas is very important at this house. Tonight I'm even having to dine alone as the Mrs. is eating at church where they are decorating the sanctuary tree and then having a council meeting. I haven't decided whether to do the Chinese meal I brought home or to just eat the leftovers . . . which aren't bad in themselves. Merry Christmas to all and to all the best of culinary New Years!

Merry Christmas to you and Mrs. Sarge, the whole Sarge Battalion!

This has been a fascinating thread. Did all these dishes (gumbo, jambalaya, potjie) begin as ways to hide leftovers or food that was starting to go bad?
When I was growing up, the older the leftovers got, the more spicy the dishes got.

Old Sarge, you and Spaghetti should have a show together on the FoodNetwork. I usually only get to watch cable TV when I'm travelling and staying at the hotel, but if you guys had a show, I'd get cable, 'cause that would be MUST SEE TV!!!!

It certainly would be fun! How to electronically coordinate such a thing from nearly opposite sides of the world would be challenging, perhaps, but not impossible.

Somehow I don't see "leftovers" as an understandable concept until the advent of refrigeration. More likely such things were sort of like boulliabaise or cioppino, a I-wonder-what-this-will-taste-like-if-I-put-some-of-this-ahyere-in soup. Or a this-is-what-I-caught-today or a what-I-have-left-after-market stew. Add in the concept of big, Catholic, French or Italian families and a dinner cooked in one huge kettle out of everything that comes in reach makes perfect sense. Pour it over rice and it's not only balanced but healthful, as well, so long as you are working as hard as a Cajun!

Leftovers I love um, the only trouble is I’m never aloud to get to them. What the kids don’t have my lovely lady wife gives to the cat and what the cat leaves the dog has a go at even the stale bread gets given to the bloody squirrels at the top of the garden. I love stale bread makes the best toast or croutons with a dribble of good olive oil.
No sir by the time I’m aloud to get to the leftovers the only thing there is brown banana skin, which to my knowledge nothing will eat.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT