• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Ireland 2014

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Keep us posted... I'm making do myself in Cork,bass is fine but I like a mixed bag. Here is last evenings catch :)
10509651_10203913264889330_6138202079659813554_n.jpg

Yes, turbot, sole, plaice, bass lobster, spider and some flounder/plunder in the sink. Couldn't carry any more on the banks board :)
That is an awesome catch mate, jealous!

Last Sunday have seen and killed one Trigger fish in Dingle.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

It was a p.b Trigger for me too 2.1kg gutted. I've no problem sharing the spot with anyone I've met personally. But after what happened in west cork with Rentass and Co I won't be posting it. I think this could be a good year for triggers my Aeris was reading 17c consistently over the weekend. Can anyone tell the easiest way to tell golden grey from grey mullet? Sure I found a small shoal of golden on Fri. Thanks

Reactions: bobdonny
Well done on the Triggerfish Cp... I haven't seen a golden mullet personally but from pictures it looks like they have a golden spot on the gill plate. Looks like there's no Giltheads about this year :(, they were only around for 3 weeks last year and gone by mid July.

These guys had a very pronounced spot on the gill plate and were brighter bout 1-2 pounds each. Mouth was different shape too. Thanks Derek. Heading down to Kerry 16th August for my usual spearing fun down there. Hoping to find a shoal of triggers again it's some sight. Sorry bout the bream keep trying though it could be there just arrived bit later this year.

golden greys have no warts on lip, concaved pectoral fin and are super slimy! and tge gold spot...but a few greys will also have a gold spot.

Golden greys are quite common where I live & I can normally id then underwater but the main difference is... GGs are edible! :)
Fantastic Trigger fish, big one too, they are a bit like giltheads in that the flavour can vary from one fish to another - never had a bad one though!

Golden greys are quite common where I live & I can normally id then underwater but the main difference is... GGs are edible! :)
Fantastic Trigger fish, big one too, they are a bit like giltheads in that the flavour can vary from one fish to another - never had a bad one though!
The filleting procedure's very similar too and so is the texture of the fillet in my opinion. They are probably my two favourite fish to eat (of the ones I've a chance of catching anyway!)

Reactions: foxfish
Thanks everyone , with Lee's and Derek's description I'm pretty sure they were Golden Greys I just didn't want to shoot what were small Mulllet compared to the rest swimmimg by. Ah well I know where they are for next time. Triggerfish are my favourite to eat but I've never got a Gilty hopefully one day I can make the comparison. Filleting them is ok once you get through the tremendously strong skin just glad I have a new knife. I weighed mine when I got it home gutted and dead 40+hours at 2.1kg I was very happy then I found this http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/fish - triggerfish.htm .............. . I know it's a rod caught record but its the closest we have here to the BSA to pit ourselves against.
I made a stock as I was running low with the frames of the 4 Bass and Trigger I took over the wknd I love when you know you've made a good one when it sets like pure jelly. I kept the heads and steamed them over lime leaves and various other flavourings in a bamboo steamer. The amount of meat in the heads is something I think we can be guilty of wasting especially the cheek meat in both fish but especially the Trigger. There was enough for a nice batch of fish cakes.

Nice one mate :)
I had 2 a month back just over 2lb..but really tasty. I posted the pic but someone was offended by what they figured were tiny grey mullet.

fish ID can be difficult to the untrained eye. often flounder and dab get confused. I still struggle with salmon vs sea trout, but not an issue as they're both no go anyway :)

Thanks Lee. I see lots of salmon and sea trout in one spot very curious both of them come right in sometimes personally I think the head is slightly different but it could be just me. But I honestly could not tell between dab and flounder I just make sure it's a decent size. The Trigger was in much deeper water than I have encountered them before maybe their slow to come in this year? Going to a hotspot for them in two weeks we'll see then. Have you seen any gilthead ? Personally a red mullet is top of my list but I've never even seen one.

strangely I've seen the gilts throughout may...but only one since, then again I haven't specifically been targeting them.

I'm planning on a dawn raid early Saturday for gilts, then over to a spot with the triggers to see if they're in yet.

Keep us posted... I'm making do myself in Cork,bass is fine but I like a mixed bag. Here is last evenings catch :)
10509651_10203913264889330_6138202079659813554_n.jpg

Yes, turbot, sole, plaice, bass lobster, spider and some flounder/plunder in the sink. Couldn't carry any more on the banks board :)
What a haul, you had some serious feed out of that!! :)
Whats your technique for getting the lobster ,i was finding it very hard to find them and harder to get them out :(, Been in the usa since june but home soon and would love to get one.

Sound thanks, Is there anything in particular i should be trying to identify around the entrance to know there's a lobster there or is it just a case of diving down and and having a close look?
Best of luck with the app can is it available for download yet? i'm a former CIT student myself

often you will just see long redish/brown antenna protruding out from a hole. I tap my spear on the floor just in front and when he comes out for a look I stab my spear into the gound just behind him to block his entrance....now with nowhere to go he's yours@ dive down and take a firm grip around it's carapace DO NOT grab by claws as they will shoot them off in a last bid for freedom.

you can use your spear to tease him out and block him etc....but no stabbing :)

I'll give it another try when i get home, knowing my luck the weather will break as soon as i step foot back in Ireland:(

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT