• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2008 Fish Spearing/Garbage removal contest entire year - Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
If it's ever Close- you should take it to a "Registered" scale (grocery Store) (Hardware Store) and have them weigh it and you would also need a Witness. More than likely your scale is off by a few oz if not a pound. It would of been something to check out. - oh well, now you know.

Yeah I thought about that, but then I was just wanted to get them out of my van cause they were getting kinda nasty, but if we knew that it was that close we probally would have got it weighed somewhere. :head

well record or not there are bigger ones out there so give me a couple weeks and we will have another deeperblue convo strikingly similar to this one :t

I havent really seen much on here in the way of garbage removal, so I figure Ill post some stuff up.

Ive hauled out:

13 Golf Balls (Jacksonport, Door County)

1 Traffic Cone Light (Plover River)

1 Retro Coca-Cola Bottle (Plover River)

4 Random Assorted Beer Cans (Sunset Lake)

1 Pair of XL whitey tightys (dont worry they were extracted via spear tip) (Sunset Lake)

5 Baits (Plover River and Egg Harbor DC)

1 Bait Box, with baits (Round Lake, Waupaca)

1 Rapala Bait (Egg Harbor, DC) I kept this one.

100 Pounds of scrap metal/train parts (Plover River)

And TONS of other stuff. This is all I can remember right now, so thats all Ill put down, but mike and ethan can tell you that I am the TRASH KING! LOL.

HAHA yeah you are! Man we should go back to that part of the plover, and pull out more of those steel train parts... Everything from brakepads to railroad ties!:blackeye

I thought you needed to post a picture of the fish you shot for them to count?:confused:

If not, I want to enter my 135 pound carp that I shot just this morning while my kids were taking a nap.rofl

Jon ;)

Yeah- Next years contest will be slightly different- A few things i can think of now are:

- Carp - Common Carp Only- possibly Mirror, grass ect. but not buffalo as they are native spieces.

- will probably Start in April, 2009.

- will have different categories: MOST, Largest - possibly: Ugliest
If you don't want to compete in a cetain category- don't.

- ALSO, some sort prize for collecting Junk -

These are all in the works- and will be explained in more detail Next year before the contest starts.

If we don't need to pull them all out or, photgraph them, then I know that Unirdna has kicked all of out butts this year- and last.

I just think if you can take the time to take a picture of the deer running acorss the road by the lake you could take a picture of the fish that you say that you shot- or have a witness. The hand cuaght fish they I got I wasn't going to count until others said that I should- and i do have photos of it.

I know that getting rid of a bunch of carp is a pain in the butt and the main reason I haven't shot more is that I ONLY shoot them when Scott has his truck around to haul them away. Maybe a one day, most fish, contest would be a better way to do that.

If we eliminate Buffalo from next year's contest then we should eliminate gar as well.

Jon

Reactions: ILDiver
Non-Member's are only allotted so much space. (There's only so much room for pics) and I am usually up close to my limit. But here you go anyways...Three more carp...Whooptie frickin do!

I love that saying! Whoopie frickin' do. :) It's best done with your index finger spinning in the air over your head, as well as a bug-eyed facial expression. rofl

Dan, I host all my photos on photobucket.com, then link them to DB. Then you don't have to deal with quotas. Create an account, upload the photos, then copy/paste the

Reactions: ILDiver
I'm only reading some of the posts here (ignore list and all)....but is there really that much controversy over the current rules? Seems simple to me, shoot the fish and record it with a picture to verify. Scott, will next years still have pan fish categories or just carp?

Jon, I have a grainy photo of bigfoot, does that count for any prizes :)

I wish I could spearfish in a lake we just did a scuba class in. There was a NICE crappie in there.

Seems to me there are two way to have a contest.

The first would last ALL year long- from Januray 1 to December 31. A photo and a scale that has been registered, or at least calibrated against the other scales that people are using, would have to be used and a photo taken of it.

The second way, and my prefered, would be for everyone who wants to enter to show up on a single day and compare their catch side-by-side. This ensures a fair contest for all.

Still, I'm sure that someone would still complain because so-and-so has a better gun/wetsuit/mask/fin/breath hold/whatever.

Jon

Yeah, I was trying to talk Scott into a single day tourney at some point in the year. That seems like an easier contest to manage. You don't have to rely on people being trust worthy or not. I'm not saying people can't be trusted, but it saves the hard feelings if someone thinks another person is willing to cheat weather they do or not.

Since our total prizes are under the $500 we could have as many divers as we want to show up on that day and not have to get a permit from the DNR.

That would also allow everyone to use the SAME scale and the SAME measuring tape.

Fred (fjohnson) was in a freshwater meet in South Dakota last summer and was headed back again this summer. He and his partner, Roland, took a third and a fourth overall- as the only freedivers competing against scuba guys!

They were allowed to shoot walleye and musky out there, as well as carp and rough fish. I think they said they passed up on "the most carp shot" because it was too much work to drag them around and just concntrated on largest fish shot.

Maybe he will post a link on here to his winning fish- I saw it once.

Jon

I was kind of hoping the "cook out" would be a small tourney too.... M.C. Whopperhead, what say ye sir?? Cash prizes? $499, Scott will post the prize $ for the comp :)

M.C. Whopperhead, what say ye sir?? Cash prizes? $499, Scott will post the prize $ for the comp :)

LOL!!!! :hmm you know.....I would post the prize $ but.........I'm buying a house on Friday and will be Poor from there on out.

Initially I thought OUR YEAR totals - could come from our monthly Events - the more you come to the better chance you have of winning-something. The only fish that would count would be those shot at the events. Start at April's event and end in October.

as far as this years prizes- they total OVER $500 so, we have to had to of done it over several days in multiple lakes. (was that in english?)

The Cookout- is October 11th- fish count towards the contest - till Oct 10th. Diving at the cooking is mainly for fun and I plan on shooting some Panfish. We could do a small side tourny for that day only- not sure on the prize - I'll see what I have left. Cause I think As of right now I have like 4 of the 6 prize picks- :D so, well see- I'm sure I'll probably donate back to the small tourney. still a month and a half to go- alot could change by then.

Numbers on Carp- yeah they do matter to me- I hate what the carp have done to our lakes and streams- If some year, I can shoot 500- I will be happy, tired but happy. I also think having a "Most Carp" Category looks good incase the hook and line guys are peeking in our forum- I personally don't care what they think of what we do- we buy a fishing license like everybody else- we have the same rights.

I'm still interested in maybe just doing a ONE DAY or WEEKEND Contest/Tournament - And that would be it.

I too like the phrase "Whoopie Frickin Do!" :friday

Last edited:
Going into the Last Week here are the results........So Far:

Most Roughfish: Whopperhead 109 (112 unoffically)
Largest Roughfish: bgill score of 82.something ****
Largest Crappie: unirdna 14.25"
Largest Bluegill: Whopperhead 10.75"
Largest Perch: Whopperhead 15 1/8"

I believe these to be true and accurate- if not send me a PM and I will edit them.

what about smallest fish LOL that gar i shot was pretty small

i did but i forgot to take a pic of the tape so ill have to just get another lol

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT