• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2008 World team championship - Sharm el Sheik

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cebaztian

Oct 3, 2003
Lets start talking about the upcoming WC.
Who is coming?

Sebastian

PS. Can some DB authority put a "Sticky" on this?

Last edited:
Well, I'm coming. And so are annamaria and daveking, not sure about the DB names of all the others. :)

I'm coming as well.

But can someone explain me why is the depth discipline the first one to take place??? :confused: It somehow in my view defies all the principles for safe diving with gradual increasing your depth up to the competition level and so on... As the comp is 2 weeks long, there are many athletes who just can't take a one month vacation just like that to do the proper depth training. Static and dynamic takes no preparations at all, you just can jump out of the plane into the pool... So I don't understand why these are the last ones and not the depth discipline.

Safety. You don't want athletes to be tired for CW because unlike the pool events, once you're at the bottom there is no bailing out. I suppose it's also easier to allow for the weather if you put CW at the start as it could push the other disciplines back a day or two if necessary. You can't do that it CW is at the end of the comp (unless you extend the comp).

Well safety is surely an argument, but the comp is 14 days long. Having the first discipline in the first days, you could have cca up to 5 days between the two other disciplines... If you make it 3-4 days (don't think you need more to recover from a static zzz), there should be also room for weather related postponing.

I got quite prone to having my trachea squeezed this season, and need to spend some days in water before doing any deep diving. That's why I'm picking on this :). I'm not very experienced with competitions though, so I don't feel like knowing it better, but am just curious about this :).

Reactions: island_sands
Teams?
Which teams? Display your colors.
Lets get nationalistic :)

I would say CWT is safer later, because aclimatization (to heat and germs) will take time. Its bigger factor than the "tiredness" (from STA/DYN) spoken of. But I guess the weather argument is the best, therefore CWT at the start.

DUDE. Simple solution to your problem: dive shallower.

Sebastian
SWEDEN

Teams?
Which teams? Display your colors.
Lets get nationalistic :)
So, what's about the Swedish Team (M & F)..?!
Will you gonna coach them again..?!

That's what I know about the French team (AIDA French National selection) :
for the women:
Berangere Duclos, Julie Gautier, Francine Kreiss, Solenn Launay

for the men :
Christian Maldame, Guillaume Nery, Morgan Bourc'His, William Winram

.../..

Last edited:
That's what I know about the French team (AIDA French National selection) :

for the men :
Christian Maldame, Guillaume Nery, Morgan Bourc'His, William Winram
William in the French National Team? Sounds strange! Did he ask for a political asylum in France?

William in the French National Team? Sounds strange! Did he ask for a political asylum in France?
They probably bought him. I Think those are the kind of methods they feel needed to do something about this:
1. Sweden - 1,197.9
2. France - 1,189,7
3. Canada - 1,129.7
4. Finland - 1,113.8
5. Russia - 1,083.4

Which was the last WC team 2006 results.

Sweden will be coming en force:
Weine Gustavsson, Johan Dahlstrom, Tobias Nilsson.
Lotta Ericson, Annelie Pompe, Isabelle Larsson.

And I am the nanny, making sure they go to bed early, take their vitamins and drink water e t c.

Sebastian

UK Team - (probably, not sure its official yet)

Female - Sara Campbell, Liv Philip, MT Solomons, George Miller
Male - Dave King, Tim Money, Stuart Bond, Steve Millard

I'm not gonna be there this year but possibly Deepest Bear will be along if you promise to look after him better than you did in canada!

S

Finland is also coming. Unfortunately we have only men's team. Team is Timo Kinnunen, Mikko Pöntinen and me

Good Sweden! You seem to have a pretty strong team for the WC, both men and women.

Like TheDude I was also hoping to get little bit more training tiime before the cwt competition, but what can you do.

Antero Joki

See you all soon in Sharm.

to sebastian:
var isabelle larsson med förra team mästerskapet oxå? samma för tobias..
e bara lite nyfiken..
annars e de ju andra toppen!!
andrea

I am stuck in a new job on the other side of Africa, and that's a great thing, but stilll a little sad about not coming to Sharm...

Have a great WC :martial :ko rofl :thankyou :chatup:friday I am looking forward to hearing about it

My favorites are the NZ male team, if they will compete with their strongest team (Dave Mullins, Ant Williams, Kerian Hibbs)?!

2nd place goes for team France, 3rd place for Denmark....

Balázs

Sweden will be coming en force:
Weine Gustavsson, Johan Dahlstrom, Tobias Nilsson.
Lotta Ericson, Annelie Pompe, Isabelle Larsson.

Sebastian

Any reason why Per Westin wont be comming? He surley must be good enoughe to have a spot?

I was originally in the team and was planning to go. My situation changed however and I had to turn it down just some days ago...

...now Tobias is taking my place and I am certain he will do a great job!

Go SWEDEN!

My favorites are the NZ male team, if they will compete with their strongest team (Dave Mullins, Ant Williams, Kerian Hibbs)?!

2nd place goes for team France, 3rd place for Denmark....

Balázs
Kerian Hibbs won't be there, but I'm sure we can still field a good team...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT