• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

200m deep down

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will Patrick make the 200m barrier?

• Yes he will, and everything will be ok !!

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • Yes, but with big problems...

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • No, he will "chicken out" and cancel the dive.

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • No, he did a try... but not really.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • No, No, No...

Votes: 20 18.3%

• Total voters
I remember a few years back there was a German or Austrian called Heimo Hanke (?) who trained using a recompression chamber before doing his dives in a cold winter lake. He was doing 4 minute statics at very heavy pressures, then doing safety stops on 100% O2.
I think.
Maybe Patrick is doing the same?
Cheers,
Erik Y.

@neoprenelove

quote:
I don't understand why he don't want any judges there???????? AIDA or CMAS could be good.... but NO!!!

seriously, who cares? the man provides data of his dives and so far noone has any reason to doubt his performances. why should that change? comedians and liars are disualifying themselves anywas sooner or later.

ifhis buddy is the judge that's fine by me. i'm also more than happy to believe him if he just posts that he did it. a bit of honesty and faith in your fellow freediver would be a nice thing, no?

cheers,

roland

btw, where are you from?

You are correct, of course. Yesterday,he made it to 172m!!!!!!! Everything went smoothly. So keep your fingers crossed.

immerlustig said:
seriously, who cares? the man provides data of his dives and so far noone has any reason to doubt his performances. why should that change? comedians and liars are disualifying themselves anywas sooner or later.

ifhis buddy is the judge that's fine by me. i'm also more than happy to believe him if he just posts that he did it. a bit of honesty and faith in your fellow freediver would be a nice thing, no?
It's ok because we are talking about no limit but I don't agree at all for the over disciplines.
:hmm

any computer worth its salt should be more accurate than measurement of a stretched rope on land. the computer that Pipin used for his records (designed by Kim McKoy i think) sounded like it was state-of-the-art and very accurate. i'm sure Eric's F1 is already very accurate or at least has the potential to be with further tweaking.

i don't think measuring rope on land is a particularly good way to measure depth. you have to soak the rope yes, but it dries out as soon as you take it out of the water. you have to get exactly the right tension, get the rope pefectly straight, and you can't take into account gradual creep of the rope under tension... there are so many factors. the scope for error is enormous.

and even if you did manage to measure it accurately the whole thing goes out of the window if you have a small current running. this isn't an issue when using depth gauges. it's definitely time we moved into the 21st century when it comes to measuring depth. :)

neoprenelove said:
To just use computers are very stupied!!!!!

It's the line that is importent, real meters.

This is the thing!

:mad:
:confused: WOW...

Anyhow... at this rate it looks like he may reach 200m in 2 or 3 more dives! AWESOME!!

Last edited:
Both methods of measuring depth have their problems:
Rope: As Alun has said, currents introduce a big problem in verifying depth with a rope. In a dive to 200m, I wonder if Patrick will let out extra line to allow for some shortening on the distance due to possible current pushing on the rope (which causes it to bow out, thereby shortening the vertical distance). How annoying if he goes for 200m in front of all the sponsors and media and makes it successfully only to see the gauge read 198m (if the gauge survives, that is). At the Worlds in Vancouver last year, Kim McCoy gave a fairly detailed presentation about the problems of measuring depth. Measuring the rope is the most primitive method of verifying depth. You can stretch the rope all you want on land, but I think it stretches even more when used in the water, especially with big weights on it. Add a side current and your careful stretching and measurement goes out the window.
Gauge: An ideal depth gauge would measure the changing salinity and temperature throughout the dive, since these two factors can introduce considerable variance in measurements. I don't know much about the thermoclines in the Red Sea or how cold it gets at 200m, but I would hope that the D9 measures temperature and salinity and uses them to correct the depth calculation. Is salinity fairly constant in the Red Sea? Here in Vancouver it isn't due to considerable run off from mountain streams and rivers. We have thermoclines and haloclines galore. That's why breaking no limits records by only one metre seems so silly. How do you know for sure you actually broke the other person's record? You may have reached the end of the rope, but a slight current may leave you 2 metres too shallow.
I imagine that the media doesn't really care about these things. I wonder if the D9 will survive. I thought it was rated to 225m?
I really wonder if Patrick will share his methods with the freediving world after the record is done. It seems hard to believe how quickly he is leap frogging over Pipin, Audrey and Loic. Mind you, we've seen this before with people like Martin Stepanek in constant weight disciplines and Tom Sietas in static and dynamic.
I guess we'll just have to wait. The suspense it killing me. :duh

I hope he'll make it, that might mean that he has something revolutional to teach us.
laminar said:
I really wonder if Patrick will share his methods with the freediving world after the record is done.
That will be the sign of true sportsmenship. :king

I'm pleased that as he get's deeper he is taking time off to recover from each dive day and I hope that he continues with that approach as he is entering uncharted waters now......good luck Patrick

neoprenelove said:
About the rope, the weight at the bottom should be soo heavy that it guarantee that the rope is straight, I think you find this in the rule of aida.

In a tiny current, no amount of weight can ever make the line straight. As an example, if you look at electric powerlines around your house, they are in tension, but no amount of tension (even infinite) would ever make the powerlines 'straight' and 'flat' parallel to the ground. This is because of a simple trigonometric relationship.

So, there is no such thing as a 'straight' descent line. There is only more straight or less straight, depending on the current and ballast on the bottom etc...

Good stuff Patrick! It's looking very hopeful!

I've been against rope measurements for years and am still amazed that they are used. Hence, why I'm keen to see some more on the F1.

BTW - Eric there is an answer to your balloon and sphere model - there is a maximum pressure that a cell membrane can withstand. From my increasingly untrustworthy memory it is somewhere around 22 atm. All the relevant concepts are presented in the scientific literature on how Nautilus' and Cuttlefish maintain neutral bouyancy at depth.

Cheers,

Ben

Patrick is going like a rock! <maybe a nice freediver expression, LOL>

Wow, I'm growing in confidence he'll be able to keep his 200m promise!

Maybe it's time for a little adjustment of my slogan:

Deep Love, Deep Peace and Deep Water :)

Kars.

if Patrick reaches 200m, which i'm sure he will, then we can add it to the list of big "barriers" in freediving that have been broken in the last 2 years or so....

.... 200m dynamic, 100m constant, 100m FI, 10min static, 80m CWNF and now 200m NL. next on the list will be 150m VW i think.... that's definitely on the cards in the next 2-3 years. maybe 200m DWOF (hasn't TomSietas already done this in training?)

i think you might have to wait at least 5 years for that, maybe more :)

that's just my guess at how long it will take. i don't see anyone doing it within 5 years. 100m CWNF is a pretty tall order...

O' he of little faith. :)
I think that if the top athletes today put their mind and effort on doing it can happen in less than 5 years.
But even if not, I think we both consider this as a practical goal. :)

Of Alun's list of barriers, only the 10-min static hasn't been done officially (yet). Even 9-minutes hasn't been done officially!

Nonetheless, in addition to 150m VW, I think that a 300m DYF and 300m in no-limits will be accomplished in the next 10 years....

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT