• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2014 lunocet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah - the million dollar man was low def had cheesy music and sound effects...

The above video is high-def and features music of Zamfir's pan-flute! ;)

This one has some real-time footage:
[ame]https://vimeo.com/74114130[/ame]

Already saw that video and although the fin shots are still very short, it looks like it certainly works. The movements and undulation of the fin are visually spot on.
Actually using the fin will confirm this, but it's getting more promising...

...although the fin shots are still very short, it looks like it certainly works...

All the Lunocet models worked. The question is; how well? I suspect that this model works better than the 2012 model, but you cannot tell from any of the videos if this is true or not. It could very well be that the goal here is to make something that looks like it should work better, and people will assume that it does.

Ted is not going out of his way to prove any performance metrics. If anything, it appears that Ted may be structuring his videos to hide the fin's performance. It brings doubt to my mind when I see this.

When I look at the Lunocet legacy, I see the following pattern: Make it look good and sell as many as you can before anyone knows how it works. Then come out with something new and do it over again. Repeat as often as necessary....

I'm not trying to bash Ted or his products, and for full disclosure, I have not used any of his products. I am just observing the information disseminated by others who have used the Lunocet monofins and sharing my personal impressions of the situation.

Peace

PS - It was a very good artistic video though. I did enjoy watching it.

... and you are a competing producer ;-)

Yes. I tend to think that is common knowledge from all my active forum threads, but I should have clarified that. So, thank you.

Please keep in mind that I am also an active freediver who has represented at multiple World Championships. I think I probably like this stuff at least as much as you, and I like to talk about it. I have to try to strike a balance between being someone who makes monofins and someone who is an active member of the freediving community who is very interested in anything monofin related.

in his marketing it looks like he has moved away from marketing it as a freediving fin so i would imagine because it probably isnt gunna dominate current high end monos now its advertised as a hydro touring fin i think revan was smart in setting records himself with his fin and getting some of the worlds best to use it dont see anything like that with this fin yet may be a fine recreational fin tho

All the Lunocet models worked. The question is; how well? I suspect that this model works better than the 2012 model, but you cannot tell from any of the videos if this is true or not. It could very well be that the goal here is to make something that looks like it should work better, and people will assume that it does.

Ted is not going out of his way to prove any performance metrics. If anything, it appears that Ted may be structuring his videos to hide the fin's performance. It brings doubt to my mind when I see this.

When I look at the Lunocet legacy, I see the following pattern: Make it look good and sell as many as you can before anyone knows how it works. Then come out with something new and do it over again. Repeat as often as necessary....

I'm not trying to bash Ted or his products, and for full disclosure, I have not used any of his products. I am just observing the information disseminated by others who have used the Lunocet monofins and sharing my personal impressions of the situation.

Peace

i do agree with your arguments. to go even further in this logic, with a previous incarnation Ted had actually had the fin tested here on DB with a story on it. a great deal of hype and expectation surrounded the fin at the time but it all turned when the fin did not deliver as wished.
perhaps Ted does not want to repeat the experience...
having said that, i would like to believe that the man is not a con artist just making beautiful fins for unsuspecting and unknowledgable buyers, but someone who has been trying to achieve a certain outcome and has taken some time to get there.

like i've been saying from the begining, only when someone with substantial monofin experience tests the fin, will we be able to understand more about how it compares to the current crop, and your market leading X20 fins.

an important point that was made clear by monkeyhatfork, being that these fins are now intended mainly for hydrotouring. so i guess they should be regarded and used with that in mind.

...an important point that was made clear by monkeyhatfork, being that these fins are now intended mainly for hydrotouring. so i guess they should be regarded and used with that in mind.

Yes, we should always look at the whole package, so to speak. The competitive fin market is limited and there is a real need for good recreational monofins. The Orca demonstrates that high-end hyperfin level performance can be reproduced in a fin design that is comfortable and practical enough to be used for recreational activities like Ted's Hydrotouring. Doing this within a recreational budget is far more difficult, and so we keep on trying to do better. I have spent the past year trying to figure out how to make my fins better (either in performance or in lowering cost). Even for an experienced engineer, it is a difficult path fraught with many disappointments.

Yes, we should always look at the whole package, so to speak. The competitive fin market is limited and there is a real need for good recreational monofins. The Orca demonstrates that high-end hyperfin level performance can be reproduced in a fin design that is comfortable and practical enough to be used for recreational activities like Ted's Hydrotouring. Doing this within a recreational budget is far more difficult, and so we keep on trying to do better. I have spent the past year trying to figure out how to make my fins better (either in performance or in lowering cost). Even for an experienced engineer, it is a difficult path fraught with many disappointments.

Very true words again.
We have talked about this subject in the past and I unfortunately repeat myself too often : )
The freediving world is so very small and the number of people that want a super high tech fin that will take them über deep is an almost negligible market.
Not that this segment should not be taken into account, but the commercial and development potential probably lies elsewhere.

Like you said with a good recreational fin. And when I say good, I mean one that can offer performance, versatility and ease of use, at the same time.

A fin with which one can comfortably and with decent speed swim several miles at a time. Either to cross a large bay, to explore a stretch of coast, swim to a nearby offshore island etc... Along the way to be able to freedive down and explore the reef, rock formations, marine life and other.

You're probably thinking that the X20 fits that bill quite well and I'm sure it does. However, (and here comes the tricky part for an engineer) the way it looks scares a more average person not used to the look a high tech equipment. A fin like the Lunocet is much more "inviting" visually and emotionaly. Forget if it works or not, that will come after.

I have shown pictures of your fins to several people and have gotten similar reactions. Very futuristic, high tech and complicated looking.
Metal frame full of sharp angles, screws, protruding bits and pieces... Do you get my point ?
It looks like pure performance but it does not attract the layman. All function, little form. And the form, or esthetics that it has, is very "techie" and engineer feeling.

Then look at your website. It looks like it was made from an engineer for other engineers. Full of numbers and technical explanations.
Look at the Lunocet website. Full of exotic and beautiful pictures that make people feel and express "wow", "I want that fin, I want to do that...".

Recreational monofining, hydrotouring, or whatever else one would like to call it does not yet exist as a whole. There is a market there, a potentially big market.
But the right product has to be made (I guess a fin that looks more like Ted's but works as well as your's) and once the right product exists it needs to be marketed right and given media exposure.
That is where I think Ted has a distinct advantage. He has figured this out and is on the right track in creating this new discipline and market. If it turns out that his fin actually works, then I believe that he's on to something.

On the other hand, we know that you have already figured out how to make amazing fins. All that would need to be done is tweak them a little to make them more inviting for a larger audience. After that it's all promotion and media work to show what can be done with this fin and how, and why it's an attractive thing to do etc...

Reactions: Markaveli
Interesting Video. The dolphins apparent reaction to the fin was quite different from what I experienced with a Dol-fin. For me they went nuts as soon as the fin started stroking. Same species. Why? how the film was cut? They had seen this type of fin before? curious.

Second question: With both the Orca and this version of the Lunocet, the diver is essentially balancing on a single narrow shaft. For the Orca that leads to the need for better technique than is required for the x20, which, with two shafts, is inherently more stable. That could be a big issue for anybody with an uneven kick(personal experience). I wonder how it affects the lunocet?

Last edited:
Unless I'm mistaken, the Orca also has two shafts. They are however close together giving the impression of being one. And yes, that type of architecture does require cleaner technique than with two shafts. It also makes it more hydrodynamic and efficient.
Always a game of give and take...

Any new info?
The special $349 with free shipping until Halloween sure makes one think ...

image.jpg image.jpg
I got 2014 Lunocet, last week.
I ordered it in middle of August($399), it arrived in October 17. Shipped by USPS, from Georgia to Tokyo for ten days.
I will test it next week in Okinawa.

When broken down, it appears that it can EASILY be transported via carry-on!

You could even fit a monofin, wetsuit, mask, snorkel, a towel, some shorts and a toothbrush and be set for the week! :D

A backpacker could travel light with this, a mask / snorkel and a foldspear for food! :D

Very little chance of it getting damaged in shipping from the manufacturer as well.

Last edited:
I've had one for a little while now and will be posting a detailed review in the next day or so...

Hint:
I'm going to the pool tonight and can take any of 6 fins in my basement and it's the 2014 Lunocet that I'll be taking.

Reactions: wtu2000 and tak_seo
I posted movie to YouTube, "2014 Lunocet How does it work?"

I tested it at Okinawa, Miyakojima.
I am not good at swimming. But it's so fun.
Please do not laugh, even if you see this.

Seo-San, Thanks for the video!! It looks awesome!! I can't wait to get mine~

here's a little swimming technique for your reference. I have not tried it yet, but would imagine how well it will work with the Lunocet 2014!

Reactions: tak_seo
Seo-San, Thanks for the video!! It looks awesome!! I can't wait to get mine~

here's a little swimming technique for your reference. I have not tried it yet, but would imagine how well it will work with the Lunocet 2014!

Thanks Tu-San!
I'll retry it next month. Want to be good swimmer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT