• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2015 LUNOCET PRO

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ chip....
fish`s swarm.... nemo.... (y) sorry, european human metric system.... le big macce... you know?

Reactions: Chipswim
My experience with getting a Lunocet from UltimateSwimFin has been pleasant, I'm sorry for everyone who's had trouble. I've read through many pages (not all) and I'm looking for some help assembling my fin. It looks quite simple, but I'm not technically inclined in the slightest. Those who have received their fin seem to have had no trouble putting them together so I feel as if this is the right group to ask for assistance. How does the fin, plate, shoe stem sandwich go? (Sorry for the not-technical verbage) And I believe that the shoe screws into the shoe stem but tell me what those O-rings are. Washers? I'm an avid swimmer and I got a Lunocet for strength training in the pool and free diving in our local oceans so I'm not familiar with these sorts of products. I have one more question about tension. I'm a small person and I'm starting with just one pin, for the least amount of tension. What part of the shoe stem has the spring and is supposed to give? Or is it not supposed to bend at all. I'm trying to become familiar with this device. If this subject has already been covered, I apologize for the repetition.

Ningyo!

Welcome!

It's great to see you've had a positive delivery experience through www.ultimateswimfin.com !

I hope your post indicates improvement has arrived and is more of the tone going forward.

OK..... I think your Lunocet arrives assembled with the center section complete.

On one end you add shoes. On the on other you bolt the flukes.

2015-Pro-Ped-700x305.jpg
luno_blue_4_grande.jpg
IMG1793.jpg

You will notice the pads where the shoes bolt on are slightly curved on one side to match the curve of the toes of your cycling shoes. On the opposite side of those same shoe pads the holes have a recessed hole cut larger than it is drilled all the way through. That allows the heads of the bolts to not stick up as much.... So the three bolts for each shoe go in from that side. Your shoes may allow a little adjustment forward and backward before you tighten them all the way.... That makes your distance from your feet to your fin slightly adjustable. Since you are smaller and just starting I suggest keeping the fin distance from your feet as short as possible. This will make it a bit easier / gentler to move in your swimming motion. Likely the small muscles on the tops of your feet will get sore during the first week of swimming getting used to their new job!

On the other end of the spring assembly.... Bolt on the flukes. This takes a little patience because you are holding the pieces in place while starting the nut on the bolt. If you travel a lot and know you will be taking your fin apart to pack.... I suggest glueing the nuts in their recessed holes. It makes it much quicker and easier to reassemble from then on.

Now you have your fin ready to swim. You may like wearing low rise socks to protect your toe tops from rubbing blisters.

When adjusting your spring tension it is all about making it feel and swim as you wish it to. Your expectation that the softer setting may be just right for you is logical.

If it is too soft you'd feel like there is no fin back there and you can't get ahold of the water to get going.

If it is too stiff it feels like there is too much resistance to your swimming movement because the spring is not bending to set the angle of propulsion. We say the fin is "stalling" instead of flying as it is designed to do.....

If Your fin is just right it does fly! Each swimming movement large and small leads to propulsion. You get that perfect sensation just like Goldilocks!

Don't be afraid to experiment!

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: neurodoc and Ningyo
Thank you so much for the amazing help Chipswim!! I also got e-mails from Jeff at UltimateSwimFin.com and he personally helped me along as well. He didn't have to go out of his way to help me so promptly but he did and I'm very grateful to both of you. Not many companies would be so proactive after a sale to keep their customers happy but Jeff was. He is dedicated to growing the Lunocet customer base and keeping current customers satisfied. I believe he is working extremely hard to set everything right. I'll let you all know how my first swim went, I'm off to the pool!

Personally I'm so happy with my Lunocet! but have not gotten to swim in 2 weeks. I'm in Maine, house hunting for a big move in the next month. Sorry to be so scarce, but not as much to report on my part. I will be breaking in a new pool soon, and hope to do some freediving as well though I may need a wetsuit (ocean is 57 F here!)

Reactions: Ningyo
So, I've been swimming with my Lucocet for about a week and I adore it. What I like most is how it does seem to force me to use proper technique. When I get tired, I can definitely tell that I'm slacking because I don't move as quick and it can get a little wobbly. Once I strengthen my kick and use proper undulation, I just fly right along. I did get sore the first few days and took one day off but that's great because I know it's working muscles that I don't use with swimming alone. It's super comfortable and I can't wait to get back in the water tomorrow morning! We're going for a dive next week and I'm hoping to get it nice and broken in because I'm looking forward to bringing it along.

Re: durability, there have been some product improvements since the 2015 Pro was first launched that improve the spring durability, spring action and also the case of the core tip poking through the fluke.

Finsailor: you know how to get your warranty parts from Ted. I am not involved in that. Your call. I DO know that they will be shipped out as soon as received and the new parts will make your fin perform MUCH better...

No, Jeff, I do not know how to get parts in a fair way.

I've been promised publicly through this forum twice the replacement vertebrae parts, first by Ted and then by you. Just scroll back in this thread.

Now when second issue with flukes emerged, you raise your hands up and ask me to send defective parts to Ted and saying that NOW you don't have any role in this warranty part business.

I have also proven the defects with videos.

As my Luno is so far my only fin, I will not break it apart, send parts to Ted and start waiting without a fin.. for how long? I'm not that into training only DNF.

As I explained in PM to you, given history with waiting business, it would be only thing to do right to send me warranty parts first.

I'm really waiting that I could finally start just enjoying my Luno without constant worry and troubles with it.

And in case you forgot: This is how the flukes are:
Vimeo presents: Structural weakness in Lunocet 2015 Pro flukes

Hi Finsailor,

One objective of the '15 flukes compared to '14 was to be lighter.... Thus thinner....

After extensive use neither of the '14's I'm using punched through at the end of the internal aluminum skeleton.

I have punched through there in the past though on my "classic". I just noticed a drop of water exiting there after taking off the fin to go home. It didn't get worse and didn't seem to effect performance.

I decided to let the fin dry a few days then bent the tip to open up the damage like you did in your video and used a tube of adhesive called Goop to force some into the opening. I still use those flukes on a fore fin and it hasn't opened again yet.

In the past I experimented with attaching the two flukes together thinking I might get extra power by joining the two flukes together in the center.... So the split between them couldn't spill water while swimming. That did not seem to add power so I don't recommend that joining process but I learned that a normal tire patch bonds well to the flukes. You could try that if you wish. I used truck tire patch because they are much tougher. These ideas have helped me keep going well. I did eventually wear out that tire patch! I did not need to use a patch out where you are discussing now. The Goop solved the problem.

I agree with you in not sending your flukes away for that problem. Swimming wise it is a non factor.

It has been my thought while watching '15s go through the water that the rubber out beyond the skeleton.... Out beyond the split you show flexes enough that it may not be adding as much as it could to propulsion. I think there is something good available to be gained out there.

Longer term I think you and I are the first to show that a split can occur out there on the tip where the rubber flexes over the aluminum. I've also pointed out the issue and know it's being addressed as the design evolves.

Last edited:
Got my new Spring ,i put between the peduncle small pieces of PA
( in front 0,4mm each side/ rearside 0,2mm each side) to adjust the slack in Y ... no more slack ...
the new Spring seems to be really good, as always new parts are strong so i use it just with one pin, but it`s like you`re really having a kind of trully Spring behind there working... without suit i could dive 25 meter just with 3- max 4 "batch/ turns"
I´ll try to do some vids...got to find a buddy here who`s doing the same crazy kind of sport....

Hi Guys,

Incredible but true i managed to get a Lunocet 2015! I have been really lucky to find a lunocet on ebay that saw the water only a dozen of times used by a guy in Melbourne (Aus). This guys was selling all his freediving gear because he could not practice the sport anymore due to some medical condition.

So far all I can say is that the fin looks amazing! In these days I am looking for the right pair of shoes and I hope to try it in the pool very soon! Too bad it is winter here so I will wait a couple of months before trying it in the ocean.

A couple of relevant notes for the community:
1) The guy that sold me the fin bough it from ultimateswimfin.com in January 2015, Jeff guaranteed me that the warranty is now tranferred to me and I won't have to deal with Ted for any issues. (that was my main concern)
2) Ted had a wake up call and after 3 months he realized that I won the paypal dispute... without even apologizing he told me this "I have your unit ready to go Global Express Guaranteed. Please send Ultimate Swim Fin $499 ASAP. "
WTF?! @Ted Ciamillo I am not a customer service expert, but let me tell you that this is not the language to use with pissed off customers...

Congrats, Pan!

However, regarding your concerns about warranty, please be cautious with "Jeff guaranteed me that the warranty is now tranferred to me and I won't have to deal with Ted for any issues.". Sorry to be pessimistic, but expect worst.

In my warranty case that was exactly opposite. I still have broken flukes and no warranty part, Jeff washing his hands and no response from Ted.

Do you have 'early' Lunocet Pro 2015 or 'late' version? Jeff claims that design/quality issue with flukes have been corrected in latter one, but in 'early' version you can expect this.

Congrats, Pan!

However, regarding your concerns about warranty, please be cautious with "Jeff guaranteed me that the warranty is now tranferred to me and I won't have to deal with Ted for any issues.". Sorry to be pessimistic, but expect worst.

In my warranty case that was exactly opposite. I still have broken flukes and no warranty part, Jeff washing his hands and no response from Ted.

Do you have 'early' Lunocet Pro 2015 or 'late' version? Jeff claims that design/quality issue with flukes have been corrected in latter one, but in 'early' version you can expect this.

@finSailor Thanks for the advice. Sad to see that you are still having issues with warranty...

@Apneaddict here has his opportunity to provide evidence to the community that with him in control of customer service things changed for the better. I hope that he will be smart enough to make the effort to make every customer happy. This could really be the difference between a bright and long or a gloomy and short future for the Lunocet.

Time will tell!

I have today again requested the warranty parts. This is my final effort to build future with Lunocet. Should this fail, I shall take next steps.

Thanks for the update, Stephan. I have wondered if this has gone anywhere since we last heard from you. I had hoped it would have. I think you're doing right by the community in dealing with it in this way.

Myself, even since I received my Lunocet this summer, and finding quality issues with the flukes, was promised shipment a number of times for replacement flukes (received a tracking number that never went live, and was promised a second that I never even received). On the one hand it could only be a benefit to me to get a little use out of flukes with moulding/questionable structural issues while they do swim as I wait for an unknown period of time to receive new ones that do justice to the "artisan" reputation, but on the other hand in the back of my mind I can't help but wonder if the replacements are less likely to come as more time elapses.

I continue to enjoy my lunocet, but have my sights set on a hyperfin for the get-up-and-go that was part of my reason for getting a monofin to begin with--it's appropriate that the Lunocet has been distanced from its original stated goal of enabling breaching, because it really does lack the power, and the mechanical dead-space caused by the spring unavoidably defeats acceleration beyond a certain point. I continue to explore any possibilities in steady/cruising speed, but I've found that it's pretty easy to top out the acceleration, and the mechanism wants too much undulation distance to be conducive to high speeds, IMO. I spend hours at a time at 20+ feet in Lake Michigan just diving and swimming for the enjoyment of it. My goal in a monofin is high mobility in the water--distance travel and a fair amount of speed when I want it. I do not expect to find anything more comfortable than the Lunocet...

Don't negotiate with terrorists! Good luck and I wish that all will turn out well for you. This has been going on for too long, I keep my fingers crossed and hope this situation will be resolved once and for all. For the sake of everyone involved...

Reactions: AMk3
So, Ted can't afford to pay his advertising bills to DeeperBlue, but he can afford to pay a lawyer to fight you???

One could infer that he is either bluffing, or he owes Deeper Blue quite a bit more than what it would cost to hire a lawyer to carry through on these "legal threats".

Good luck with this battle, @Stephan Whelan. I'm sure that it would be easier to just walk away from all this and eat your losses. I think Ted's probably counting on that. At this point, it would be a hard sell to convince me that has not done similar to others and just gotten away with it.

If no one ever makes a stand for what's right, those who wrong, will be free to continue to do wrong without impedance or restraint. I hope these efforts are not in vain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT