• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2015 LUNOCET PRO

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipswim

May 4, 2011
The 2015 LUNOCET PRO can be identified easily by its unique center link in its peduncle hinge:
IMG_197663968340224.jpeg
MG952014052595112539156.jpg
2015-PRO-PED.gif

The promise of this Lunocet is to open the production phase for Ted Ciamillo's creative biomimicing monofins.

To date early adopters and self appointed test swimmers like myself have taken quite a ride including hundreds of hours in the water..... Swimming in the "think tank" you could say.

The LUNOCET PRO is just emerging from the molds looking to be submerged with you in some beautiful destinations.

Testing and first impresssions are SO positive! It is time to open the new and likely the most defining chapter to date on the efforts for humans to imitate marine mammals!

HERE WE GO !!!

I was under the impression that Neurodoc and yourself would be getting the first examples of the fin. Hope they will be with you shortly to hear your impressions...

Reactions: Fredd
I'm reading that as a positive sign!

I think it's a race in the freight.

Thinking if there is one there has to be more right behind!

today top speed with the LunoPRO15: 1.3m/s
all i`ve gotta say... and of course curious watcher...
If someone is looking for a good way /place to keep...here it is ,use a guitar wall mount looks nice and it´s safe

Attachments

• DSC05825.JPG
    DSC05825.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 338
Reactions: sakina z
Kick-glide, kick-kick-glide, or continuous kicking?

Was it over a 50m length, or the width of the pool?

Neat idea Marco. They are suitable for framing!

A young woman who is a sculptor came skiing with us this week. I showed her Noa's 2014 pro. Of course she saw the Beauty in it.

Until now I've considered a monofin as a wall ornament, it looks great, especially because it is a real tool - not a mock-up.

1,3m/s is rather slow for a monofin underwater sprint:

With my old rather soft hyperfin I can do about 2 m/s.

The lads in this video went about 3 m/s:

Reactions: denian and Chipswim
That's amazing to watch Kars. Thank you for putting it up. I have seen and marveled at such videos before. I also wonder if sprinters read here? Divebike? You asked about speed.... Is that your world?

I'm thinking it takes a decent athlete to go from seated on the starting block to standing on the starting block wearing a monofin! Got my respect right there and they weren't even wet yet.

Cycling shoes might make diving into the pool from the blocks a risk. Some sort of slotted non skid pad might be required on the starting block to accommodate. Has anyone done or even contemplated this sort of event with a Luno? It doesn't seem like the target audience... More depth or distance than raw speed, but faster is often more fun!

It would be interesting to get an impression from any one of those "lads" Kars.

Last edited:
hEY DUDES,
I´m not a proffesionel sprinter as in the video. but i want to get on this speed, for shure...
I am 39years, did Kitebuggy driving for some years and want now to get back in form...
tonight i got it to 1,45m/s.... not over the distance of 50m just 25! I need to work on my condition seriosly
I will try to start from the blocks tomorrow...
by the way m/s is m/s if you are able to get it over 50m is fine, but it depends on your form, speed is the same...

Thanks Marco. So far you are our window into that world with the new Lunocet. I think gains will come quickly at first as you are experiencing. The experts in here will get you in a suit that adds efficiency and suggest weights to counter your lung buoyancy. Then they trim up your position and stroke so what was once max becomes common for you..... Tricks to every sport ! I'm guessing we will get good at Luno tuning too.

Be careful on that first start from the blocks.... There is concrete on three sides if you slip or tip over!

Last edited:
Great find Marco! That demonstrator is incredibly lean and flexible! I would think those are terrific images to have in your head while monofinning. Actually imagined them while swimming this morning. Thanks!

I think there is a valuable trait of the Lunocets I've used to be pointed out here. If you put that demonstrator in the water along side myself he would appear to be a beautifully flowing strip of bacon...... Compared to my whole market ready hog...... Frozen in one awkward position!

The beauty of the Lunocet is that it still works great for me too. I've found it to be remarkably forgiving of imperfect form when it comes to getting propulsion and having an enjoyable swim.

As more people who don't yet resemble the previous two videos try the monofinning sport on for size their success during their very first trial swim becomes quite valuable! I want monofinning to earn a second look and hopefully a new enthusiast. Guessing the future may be populated by a wealth of enthusiasts with a sprinkling of very gifted monofinning athletes.

Noa's dream of commercializing monofinning adventures for folks seeking a water vacation becomes more likely too.

Reactions: noa
Great find Marco! That demonstrator is incredibly lean and flexible! I would think those are terrific images to have in your head while monofinning. Actually imagined them while swimming this morning. Thanks!

I think there is a valuable trait of the Lunocets I've used to be pointed out here. If you put that demonstrator in the water along side myself he would appear to be a beautifully flowing strip of bacon...... Compared to my whole market ready hog...... Frozen in one awkward position!

The beauty of the Lunocet is that it still works great for me too. I've found it to be remarkably forgiving of imperfect form when it comes to getting propulsion and having an enjoyable swim.

As more people who don't yet resemble the previous two videos try the monofinning sport on for size their success during their very first trial swim becomes quite valuable! I want monofinning to earn a second look and hopefully a new enthusiast. Guessing the future may be populated by a wealth of enthusiasts with a sprinkling of very gifted monofinning athletes.

Noa's dream of commercializing monofinning adventures for folks seeking a water vacation becomes more likely too.
Well said...
Actually I see it very little as "commercializing" and much more as sharing. Sharing an activity that is close to my heart.
Through all the time that I have used monofins, there has never been anybody that has seen me with a fin (even without ever seeing me swim...) that has not shown interest.
The damn things have magic imbedded into them : ). And then when they see it in use, the enthusiasm usually goes through the roof ! Plus, the way the Lunocet looks, all this is exponentially multiplied.

Now i have guided numerous people, young and old, in their first steps with monofins.
They where not all freedivers (actually most where not), or swimmers, or even particularly great in water. But they just wanted to try this...
This is to say that I know first hand what works and what not in someone's initial stages, and I would love to have a fin at my disposal that allows people a glimpse into this magical world, without having to spend eons of time trying to learn with non user friendly equipment.

Last edited:
I ordered right now new swimmglases, nose clip and a midhead snorkel include a water stop system...looks really funny
gotta say make a fool of myself... but what i was reading...must be really good...

image.jpg
Think you'll like the center snorkel.

Although also think you'll most enjoy swimming single breaths totally submerged.

In this crowd if you don't look strange you are not normal.....

Reactions: Fredd
A midhead snorkel is indeed really useful in combination with a kickboard to rest your hands on. Swimming on the surface is a bit more challenging, and it makes faults in technique really apparent. Underwater almost any movement makes you feel going fast and gracious.

One general beginners mistake is to only use the lower legs for propulsion. When you learn to kick the ass up, you'll notice a great increase in speed and glide. So instead of kicking the fluke down, rotate the hips forward, straiten legs and push your ass up high.

Having a video of yourself is also really helpful because things often feel very different compared to how they actually are.

Stunning photo Chimpswim! Great colour, composition, lines, contrast, expression! - can I have the full resolution version please?

I also liked it and picked it up elsewhere..... Maybe from Ted's Lunocet face book. I thought it might be of him?

As you predict swimming the surface is more difficult for me. .... It's the sunken behind issue.

Hadn't thought of it as a way to improve my form. Perhaps the snorkel will get out of the locker as a training tool.

Surface swimming helps to learn to balance, gain flexibility, gain endurance, gain strength, gain streamlining, gain a better rhythm.

For warm-up and flexibility I always do a 100m back crawl with long deep strong strokes, going from slow to very fast at the end. This really helps the shoulder flexibility a lot, and is a nice and quick (!) overall body warm up.

It's good to see the Lunocet 2015 getting its own thread, though I must say that I'll miss the previous one a bit. The Lunocet 2014 thread was very interesting - we saw news about the development of the fin there as we discussed it, gave advice to each other and vented frustrations. Great to see some of the regulars here, Noa, Chipswim and ApneaAddict, whose postings were prolific and insightful, not only for those of us who were curious about this topic, but were useful to Ted, who took the feedback on that thread seriously. I occasionally had a few things to say, though hopefully, in this new thread more of us will be reporting upon our experiences with the 2015 model in the water. In the meanwhile, I've resolved to just train and wait for it to come to me in its good time.

I'm glad to see this thread starting with posts about training and technique, because without these you really can't get the most out of any monofin, the Lunocet included, no matter how well Ted designs it. The video posted by Marco is excellent, showing an experienced finswimmer demonstrating both good and bad techniques. Kars gives great advice on pool training and is absolutely right in suggesting that someone make a video of you swimming with a monofin in your best form so that you can correct your errors.

Good technique is not just something for the athletes, it makes the experience of using a monofin more enjoyable whatever you use it for. In apnea, when you are holding your breath and clearing your mind, your body wants to do things that come naturally to it, so good training is also about motions that we are less conscious of, or in other words, good training techniques can also be a way of replacing counter-productive automatisms with productive ones.

For those wanting to improve their technique by pool training, I suggest getting your hands on the book Learn the Monofin by Mike Maric, Valter Mazzei and Stefano Figini. Aside from giving a fascinating history of the monofin and a detailed, though accessible, analysis of techniques, most of the book is a training manual with instructions and photos. The book has been very useful to me, not only helping me to improve my own technique, but in training other freedivers - from beginners to competitive ones. The three-day monofin workshops given by Mike Maric to our apnea club here in Montreal in 2013 and last spring showed many of us the value of these exercises, and we continue to practice them.

The book takes a lot of the guesswork out of training and techniques, which tends to proliferate online, and when followed right it can make champions. Stefano Figini is a decorated finswimming legend in Europe and Ilaria Bonin, who is coached by Mike Maric, continues to break world records in women's DYN (237.8 metres!) with an intense training regime that includes these techniques. Even some of our own "mutants," as we have nicknamed some of the athletes who train with us, are putting up some impressive numbers in Canadian competitions after having taken part in Mike's workshops and incorporating his book into their regimens.

I've discussed this book before in the Lunocet 2014 thread, so I hope that some of you guys will forgive me for what must seem like shameless promotion, but I think it's worth a look to anyone who wants to improve their experience of any kind of dolphin-inspired swimming gear. This is more "sharing" than "commercializing" in any case, and as the 2015 lunocet pros start hitting the water, I just wanted to let some of those who will be checking out this new thread aware of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT