• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

83 Cnf - New Wr

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Very well said Deron!
My thoughts exactly. It si a big relief seeing that things are going in the direction that should be going.
Aleš

This certainly restores one's faith in AIDA. I'm glad sanity prevailed in the end, though i'm sorry it took this much stress for all involved to begin with.

I echo everyone's thoughts. This is good news for our sport, and adds credibility to all past and future records. Well done, AIDA, and well done Will T for sticking to your principles and seeing this through on behalf of yourself and everyone competing in freediving.

Has AIDA made a statement about any rules changes resulting from this though? I'm interested to see what will happen now....

well done aida and thnks chris for the constant updates and handling the flack on here on bahalf of aida

I am glad to see the decision. Of course it is somewhat sad for Martin, but I think he would have felt guilty holding a record in different conditions anyway.

However, I am still disappointed that it took such long arguments & protests to find the simple answer. The fact is the error had to do with the performance of the athlete, it was extremely simple.

I personally would like to see the clause 'special circumstances' removed. It gives people unlimited power to bend the rules.

There was a lot at stake here, so I'm not sure that it did take too long. Additionally the clock did not start for assessing how long it took until the AIDA procedure of lodging with the DC occured. I would be very interested to know when that was and therefore how long resolution for this really was.

My view
Will's dive - WR performance and huge respect from me
Will's conduct - not quite as impressive

Martins dive - Not a WR by the rules and now confirmed by AIDA
Martins conduct - World Champion as usual, staying away from the noise

There was a lot of discussion about how big an impact the poor decision could have on our sport but somewhere we lost perspective on the impact that this 230+ bickering thread could also have on an outsider.

Will's conduct was indeed impressive! With so much at stake personally, professionally and ethically he conducted himself in the manner of a true champion. Big kudos to him for the way he has handled it. And it seems his actions have contributed to the rightful decision being reached at the end of the day.
In contrast where was Martin? It would have been nice to hear his side of the story. Champion? That is rightfully and officially Will.:)

Reactions: Will
Agreed. Will well done , you fought for all our rights the way a true champion should. Just with facts and good reasoning without stepping down to the childish behavior of some. If you had not done this I am sure it would have still gone the other way. Only to someone who stands for something in the freediving world the powers that be will listen.
And the absence of martin is NOT a sign of a true champion. A true champion would have stepped down himself honoring the old record gaining lots of respects for his fellow freedivers. Or at least explain his view in some way or form , even if it is outside this board.

Wills conduct was perfect imho. we cant really say anything about martin, he was not here so we must assume he was unaware of this thread or was too busy to respond. we should also keep in mind that his was still a fantastic dive tag or no tag

Martin has been extremely admirable during this dispute that has been ongoing since this record dive, the majority of you participating in this thread have not. I view this incident as a dispute between AIDA and William Trutbrige. Unfortunately you all seem to have overlooked the very important facts that Martin completed a record dive - within the rules as stipulated by the onsite AIDA judges at this event.
It is very disappointing that AIDA has not taken full responsibility for this incident and due to a very vocal Trutbridge the crowd backed ‘he whom yelled the loudest’. By totally getting caught in emotions of this forum you blatantly missed the fact that again :AIDA is solely responsible for this incident. Martin did not ‘cheat’ or try and ‘bend’ the rules, I am sure he would have brought up 10 tags; if that was what was asked of him but no he was asked to touch the plate as he had done in all his previous cnf dives.

Will AIDA apologize officially for this incident; you say they have done an admirable thing retracting this record for the 3 or 4th time???? Come on, admirable behavior is making a decision and sticking with what you believe is correct within your rules, not being influenced by ‘peer pressure’.

Have there during this time (nearly 2 months now) been any official adjustments made to the current rules and regulations that have been involved in this dispute?

Have the judges that were onsite made any official apologies? Have they been reprimanded? No one seems to have complained they haven’t been active on this thread!

Will Martin receive reimbursement for the cost of the event, considering when he left - he was a ‘World Record holder’ ? I am sure this ‘new decision’ will be difficult to explain to sponsors and future Freediving sponsors.

This incident is very sad, but it has never once swayed my opinion that Martin Stepanek is the best in the world, has been for the past 6 years, and will continue to be in history an admirable and charismatic world class athlete and instructor.

Congratulations Martin – Worlds deepest dive Constant No Fins 83 metres!!!!

AIDA Board would like to inform you ALL of our recent and final decision regarding Mr. Štìpánek record in CNF. As you all know there has been a great deal of controversy related to this record. On first review the decision was to uphold Mr. Štìpánek record at 83 meters. Upon further review by the Disciplinary Committee and an additional vote by the board, it has been decided to reject Mr. Štìpánek 83-meter CNF record. The lack of a tag and the failure of the judges to enforce this regulation have caused the board to decide that Mr. Štìpánek record is not valid.

This decision was not easy for the board to make. And AIDA would like to apologize to Martin, his organizer and his sponsors for this really bad situation. The judges that represented AIDA at the dive have received appropriate disciplinary measures.

Bill Strömberg
AIDA President

Reactions: trux
AIDA Board would like to inform you ALL of our recent and final decision regarding Mr. Štìpánek record in CNF. As you all know there has been a great deal of controversy related to this record. On first review the decision was to uphold Mr. Štìpánek record at 83 meters. Upon further review by the Disciplinary Committee and an additional vote by the board, it has been decided to reject Mr. Štìpánek 83-meter CNF record. The lack of a tag and the failure of the judges to enforce this regulation have caused the board to decide that Mr. Štìpánek record is not valid.

This decision was not easy for the board to make. And AIDA would like to apologize to Martin, his organizer and his sponsors for this really bad situation. The judges that represented AIDA at the dive have received appropriate disciplinary measures.

Bill Strömberg
AIDA President

Bill, have the AIDA rules been updated so they are consistent worldwide?
Will the AIDA be announcing publicly how they will keep their judges informed of new changes/on-going updates?

Has the AIDA decided to consider seeking the consul of the athletes who compete, as the best course for determining whether the rules for tags or other criteria should be adjusted or not?

It is fine to make apologies, and expected. It would be even better if demonstrable action (to prevent the mis-hap from occurring again) was manifested in the AIDA's actions or communications.

It would show the freediving community that AIDA really wants to be fair and is willing to improve the process.

Inquiring minds wanna know.

cheers,

kp
(francesca koe)

Hi Francesca,

The rule about the tag have been there since late spring 2005, and when there are new rules or any changes our Members and Judges are the first to know as always. We use our Assembly mailing lists and website for this.

The rule about the tag will stay, and any AIDA member is welcome to send ideas to our Technical Commission about changing our freediving rules. We already trying to make sure this is not happen again, we are in the middle to make ONE set of rule that include both record and competition regulations. BUT mistake will always be hard to remove 100%, but we do our very best. I am deeply sorry for our judges failure.

Then I have a personally note to DIVEFREE@&:
As you for sure know, this decision was a very hard one to make and it is not easy to find the best way and to please everyone when something likes this occurs. Martin is the deepest freediver in the world without the tag, no fin, BUT the AIDA rules require the tag to be broth up from the depth. And in Constant Weight No Fins, CNF, the AIDA record holder is William TRUBRIDGE with his 82 meter dive. This will stay until next athlete bringing up a tag from a deeper dive in this discipline.

/B

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT