• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AERIS F.10 User Feedback

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ptoot its not possible with current technology to make a computor that can log horizontal distance for example in dynamic so no point in having the function (not that i am aware of anyway).

as for the lighting system personally i would find it a little to difficult to set up with all of the asked perameters but thats justb me as far as turning the light on at depth all you gotta do is Tap the bottom right botton and it will turn on for what ever you have the preset duration set at (adjustable) so no having to hold a button down!

i understand the want for so many options for count down before OT, training tables etc but i personally think this would make the computor far to difficult and cluttered to use not to mention require greater memeory etc along with other items that would require an increase in cost to still make the unit profitable for Aeris. mindyou i am biased as i am affiliated with the company.

i'm interested why you would want the light to come on under so many conditions when you can just tap the button, it would be like being in a Nightclub if the light was to go on and come off when:

-i reach depth A
- Depth B
- Depth C
- Mouth fill depth
- EQ issue (descent spee slowing down)
- at target depth
- at the turn

so many lights and distractions. but again just my opinion.

DD

@DD: I realise that the watch won't be able to record the distance, but the user could enter it manually, as a comment to a dive.

ahh so dive time 2:30 at 1.6m for example and you would like to enter on the unit that this is a Dynamic dive? is that what you are after?... dont mean to be rude but why?

i'd download the dive schedule onto you laptop which will show each dive then in the comments section you can write what ever you want.

-fin type
- time of day
- wetsuit warn
-which pool '
- style of dive DNF, DYN etc.

i would have thought that a dive that goes for an extended time at a shallow depth such as 1m would be pretty obvious as a dynamic when scanning through a log book?

ma i'm getting defensive... no more commenting on this thread for me tonight!

DD

as for the lighting system personally i would find it a little to difficult to set up with all of the asked perameters...
That's why the possibility to create diverse user or mode profiles would be welcome - you could adjust all possible settings for individual profiles comfortably on a PC, upload it to the watch, and then just easily select the desired mode when in water.

It also means that an average non-technical user, who does not need any such advanced options, would not need to be confused with complicated menus.

i understand the want for so many options for count down before OT, training tables etc but i personally think this would make the computor far to difficult and cluttered to use not to mention require greater memeory etc along with other items that would require an increase in cost to still make the unit profitable for Aeris. mindyou i am biased as i am affiliated with the company.
The requirements for even quite complicated time tables are very minimal, and far below the current reserves of the hardware. You just need a few bytes. With 1kB you could already store an incredibly long and complicated training session. For a typical competition warm-up, much less would be sufficient. I do not know how much operating data memory capacity the watch currently has, but guess it is rather in hundreds of kilobytes, when not in megabytes.

i'm interested why you would want the light to come on under so many conditions when you can just tap the button, it would be like being in a Nightclub if the light was to go on and come off when:...
I did not mean using necessarily all of the triggers in the same time. But different situations, and different users may require different modes of use. Having all those possibilities, would allow the freedom of choice. And again the user or mode profiles would allow for easy handling of the preselections.

Last edited:
@DD: after a succesful dive, it'd be nice to document it, even deep dives (CWT, VWT, FIM, ...) so you can see what's what afterwards. That's all...

Trux, obvious you have better understanding of programing than i do (not particularly good with computors)

do you have a working version of what you would require (short of the inputs from the depth sensor obviously)

e.g. have it working on your laptop using using just 4 buttons as per standard dive computors. would be interesting to see how user friendly the system would be.

so i'm assuming you would preselect all settings on main computor then download onto dive computor then dive selecting 1 of 3 modes for example. would you also be allowing the user to change settings within each one of these modes as well. e.g

dive 1 i have computor set for light to come on at 24m for mouthfill. but on dive 2 i realise i need to change that to 27m.

would love to try a working program with what your require. if most of the programming is done using only small amount of memory maybe Doug would be willing to take a look at it and incorperate your program into a future unit. seeing as all the programming appears to be relatively easy (not for me!) would mean that you or someone else could have it done and allow Aeris or omeone else to incorperate it into their housing and hook up their sensors! and it would not require lots more money for development (man hours for software design, i know they charge a fortune for their work)

just an idea on how to make your unit a reality.

Ptoot now i understand a bit why you are after this, for me not really an issue because looking at dive time and depth/distance its pretty easy to tell what i was doing during the dive.

IE
-deep fast dive CWT
-slow deep dive FIM
-slow moderate dive DNF
-Shallow slow dive FRC! (for me anyway)

but understand your logic now.

would be a VERY busy computor if Aeris met everyones requirements by the look of things!

DD

would be a VERY busy computor if Aeris met everyones requirements by the look of things!
Well, that's what progress is about. We have already more than a dozen of different freediving computers around, and there is no need for new ones if they do not bring anything new, or better than the other ones. It is apparent that the future generation of computers that will come from other manufacturers must bring some new features similar to the F.10 too, if they want to keep in the competition race. So even if AERIS were not interested in such advanced functionality, hopefully we'll see other companies that would listen to the demands.

The chips used in the computers get steadily more powerful and having more memory available, so improving the firmware with more complex programs is already possible with no hardware redesigns. Mares, for example, already counts with upgrades of their firmwares, and allows the end-user upgrading their computers (at least the newest generation) with new firmware versions without bringing them to the workshop. That's already a nice step forward. Now only if there were one computer with firmware based on an open platform! We could see quite fancy features pretty quick.

Meanwhile, Doug has installed a special spring loaded board on his office wall to bang his forehead into.

We (the royal We) were talking about maybe synching the software up with a GPS (I'd say go with Garmen) so you could get a map of your dive. What this would require is making sure the time on your F.10 was pretty damn close to the time on the GPS - which is pulled from a Satellite - then the software could plot a map of your dives based on coordinates and matching times.

Hi and congratulation for your work on the F10.
Does anybody know a place where i could buy it in France?

Some of these requests seem to be beyond what is truly needed in a dive watch. I don't want to have to strap a PDA to my wrist to dive.

The features of this watch are a great improvement on the standard Oceanic/Aries Freedive modes. The alarms and timers are great. I have not looked to see if the S.I. derives itself from the dive time or if it is whatever time you set... It would be nice if it extends your S.I. based on the previous drop.

My suggestion of altering trigger depth is just to extend the usefulness to the pool more. Plus it's altering a setting that is already there, not creating a new one.

I'm not sure there is much you can do to the watch to make it good on statics. The only other Cool to have feature would be a Heart Rate Monitor, but then you are going to extend the price greatly.

You can set so many alarms you will sound like a circus on your dive. You can shut all the alarms off or anywhere in between.

One for the pie in the sky list - integrated bluetooth (obviously on only when interfacing). This would open the door to iphone and pda based apps as well as eliminating the need for a cable. Could just be a module.

Last edited:
So for example one could set the depth to 50cm and minimal time 5s - so the computer would start the diving mode only if you keep it 50cm or deeper uninterrupted during 5 seconds. It would then start counting from the beginning, of course (already counting the 5 sec).

That's exactly what the F1 did in its day....

Homage to the standard by which all freediving gauges should be judged. :)

The F1 was AWESOME!

Yes, F1 was far far ahead of all what's available. And I did not even speak about other features it offered - programmable firmware, hardware extension modules, active OLED display, rechargeable battery, and much more. I am sorry it was not more widely accepted by the community. Unfortunately the price was little bit difficult to accept for many, although I am well aware it was more than justified.

Eric, is the current X1 still available with the freediving firmware, or don't you offer that possibility anymore? Also, I believe, since you focus on the tech diver market, you increased the price even more than it was at F1, didn't you?

Last edited:
As for the depth threshold for triggering the dive mode - I agree that it is a big hassle at all current computers. The best would be if one could not only adjust the depth, but also define the minimal time you need to be in that depth to start the dive. That's useful to avoid false positives at just some test or accidental immersions. So for example one could set the depth to 50cm and minimal time 5s - so the computer would start the diving mode only if you keep it 50cm or deeper uninterrupted during 5 seconds. It would then start counting from the beginning, of course (already counting the 5 sec).

Great idea, really. But wouldn't it be much simpler to add the feature I can't find in any free computer, including Aeris f10: manual activation of logging. I.e. start - stop - start - stop ... during dive - surface - dive - surface ... repetitive course of any freediving activity. Automatic activation with proper treshold is fine during "vertical" freediving session (spearfishing - especially, CWT etc.), but it is usually useless during any pool session with mostly "horizontal" dives. For those who are far from any lakes and sea, and I think these represent most of freediving community, pool sessions count for most of time spent in the water. And there any preset treshold cannot work. The only situation it works is a pool with flat bottom with constant depth greater than 1 - 1,5 meter, while most of pools consist of two parts, shallow (0,6 - 1,2 m) and deep ( 2,0 - 4,0 m). Simple option of triggering activation between automatic and manual would make such computer independent from the characteristics of diving site. Until it (i.e. option) is available, $100 Casio watch will be the best and very competitive option for most of freedivers that spent most of their time in a pool.

Mike

Last edited:
What i wish for is heart rate, i know its a bigi and would add to the cost of the computer, but if such a thing existed i would be willing to pay ! and from the divers around me i can see that allot of others would as well.

What i wish for is heart rate, i know its a bigi and would add to the cost of the computer, but if such a thing existed i would be willing to pay ! and from the divers around me i can see that allot of others would as well.

I can see how you pure freedivers want all sorts of whistles and bells, but adding much more to the price would mean you would lose most of the spearfishing market, and I suspect that you need that market to make the watch viable. All we want (or at least all I want) is something that does exactly what my D3 does. If its easier to read, then that's fine too.

I'm one of the lucky ones who has gotten several years of service from my D3, but if it ever dies, I just want a replacement.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT