• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA DEPTH WC 2009 in the Bahamas.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Will

Freediver
Jun 20, 2003
Information regarding the AIDA depth World Championships to be held in Dean's Blue Hole, Bahamas from November 25 - December 5, 2009.

All AIDA National Associations have been sent a pdf file containing the information required for registration of the athletes selected for this event.
For athletes from countries where there is no national AIDA, you need to contact AIDA International at info@aida-international.org. If no one else from your country applies for your discipline then you will qualify automatically, otherwise AIDA will arrange a selection method with the other candidates from your country.

Once you have qualified and sent the entry fee, the organisers will send you information regarding booking accommodation, travel advice, and how to complete your registration.

If you believe you should have qualified then you need to contact your National AIDA. Qualification is as follows:
- Each country may send one athlete per sex per discipline.
- If this first athlete is equal to or better than the minima (see below), the country can send one more athlete.
- In addition, the top ten athletes from the 2008 AIDA Ranking list qualify automatically as wild cards, and do not count in the above process.
NB if an athlete qualifies for one discipline they will not be able to compete in the other discipline unless they have qualified for that also.

The minima are:
women: CNF 30m, CWT 55m
men: CNF 40m, CWT 75m
(must have been performed in an official AIDA competition with ranking after the 27th of November 2007).

Reactions: spaghetti
Hi Will!
In the thread about the indoor WC some posts are about people not having the money to attend. Too bad the worlds best Dynamic athlete isn`t coming!! But there is little to do about travelexpences. If the WC was in New Zealand it would be expensive for the Danish athletes. But what`s up with the fee for WC in Bahamas??
Bjarte

- In addition, the top ten athletes from the 2008 AIDA Ranking list qualify automatically as wild cards, and do not count in the above process.
Just to understand: it's the ranking in competitions from 1 jan 2008 to 31 dec 2008 that counts? So without any 2009 results? I find it an odd choice, but it's none of my business.

Wild cards are:

> CNF WOMEN:
> MOLCHANOVA Natalia RUS
> AVSEENKO Natalia RUS
> RODERICK Nicola NZL
> MCPHEE Kathryn NZL
> FABRIO Karla CRO
> KITAHAMA Junko JPN
> WOLFER Bettina SUI
> LIVBJERG Maria DEN
> VON BOETTICHER Anna GER
> PHILIP Olivia K. GBR
> Last depth: 40m
>
> CNF MEN:
> TRUBRIDGE William NZL
> MALDAMÉ Christian FRA
> GIANKOS Manolis GRE
> KING Robert USA
> JAKOVAC Domagoj CRO
> ZBYNEK Josef CZE
> ERNEST Christian SWE
> LARSSON Anders SWE
> VRDOLJAK Tomo CRO
> JÖRGENSEN Mads Becker DEN
> TURRENT Luis MEX
> Last depth: 45m (2 athletes)
>
> CWT WOMAN:
> MOLCHANOVA Natalia RUS
> CRUICKSHANK Mandy-Rae CAN
> SLOVENCÍKOVÁ Jarmila CZE
> GAUTIER Julie FRA
> SCHRAPPE Carolina BRA
> HIRAI Misuzu JPN
> SOLOMONS Maria Teresa GBR
> AVSEENKO Natalia RUS
> MCPHEE Kathryn NZL
> WILSON Jessica USA
> Last depth: 65m
>
> CWT MEN:
> MULLINS David NZL
> SHINOMIYA Ryuzo JPN
> MOLCHANOV Alexey RUS
> GIANKOS Manolis GRE
> STEPANEK Martin CZE
> NÉRY Guillaume FRA
> MANA Federico ITA
> MALDAMÉ Christian FRA
> DAHLSTRÖM Johan SWE
> CHATZIASLAN Dimitris GRE
> Last depth: 85m

Just a reminder for anyone still intending to compete in the Bahamas that the final date for registration at the lower price is just two weeks away (September 7) - after that the entry fee goes up by $105.

Lets get at least the gossip started.

Who's coming.

Sweden turns up with: CNF: Anders L, Sebastian, Christian, Klara and CWT Johan D (you know that tried trice at 100 in the med comp :)

Those of you that has been there: what can we expect of heat? Mosquitos? What is the trick for performing well in The blue hole?

I will be coming in a 8 meter boat from the windward islands (starting 20th oct) heading for Bahamas, staying at the marina there. Unfortunately soloing so I will not be able to train while I sail past the chain of islands.

Sebastian

I will be coming in a 8 meter boat from the windward islands (starting 20th oct) heading for Bahamas, staying at the marina there. Unfortunately soloing so I will not be able to train while I sail past the chain of islands.

respect:)

There are very few mosquitos. The big problem is sand flies, which are so small you can barely see them. The sand flies appear near sunset, near the water. If you are living away from the water, no problem. If you are staying in one of the villa's, some of which are < 1000m from the water, then the sand flies can be a major issue. I once stayed at the blue hole villa and ended up with hundreds of sand fly bites.

The other rule is never go to the ocean around sunset or just after sunset. You will inhale the sand flies!

Other than that, it is the best place for deep diving. You will not want to go home.

I said 8 meters, not a 4 meter boat. Respect, starts around <6 meters.

Anyone care to join, I need a dive buddy from St. Marteen and onwards. And I need to share marina/boat costs in Bahamas. Some 20 us a day for one person. (this is a limited offer, restrictions do apply, all taxes paid by the winner, read the fineprint below :)

Sebastian

I said 8 meters, not a 4 meter boat. Respect, starts around <6 meters.

Anyone care to join, I need a dive buddy from St. Marteen and onwards. And I need to share marina/boat costs in Bahamas. Some 20 us a day for one person. (this is a limited offer, restrictions do apply, all taxes paid by the winner, read the fineprint below :)

Sebastian

i'd love to, but seems like i won't go...
plus, i'm not sure i could be in a restricted space with you 24/7. one of us would turn crazy (and you already are:)

The World Championships will be a smaller event this year: we are expecting 40-50 athletes, but the average level will be higher than in any freediving competition so far. All but a couple of the 'big names' have so far confirmed, so it is definitely going to be a serious showdown.
Are you not coming Sara?

Sand flys, aka no-see-ums can be horrid. Absolutely incredible how something that small can have jaws that bite so painfully. Happily they are a sunrise, sunset problem. That is, unless you get them in your bedroom. Then kill'em with some kind of insecticide or they will chew on you all nite long. An Avon product, "Skin so Soft" works pretty well to keep them off, as long as you don't mind smelling like a house of ill repute. 100% deet repellent works fairly well, but is hard on the skin.

Good idea to come from upwind, much easier and more time reliable.

Connor

Google Maps

50+ atheletes from 17 countries

Full inlist of athletes on http://www.verticalblue.net

Among others:
Herbert Nitsch AUT m
Jana Strain CAN f
William Winram CAN m
Christian Maldame FRA m
Guillaume Nery FRA m
Morgan Bourch'is FRA m
Sara Campbell GBR f
Ryuzo Shinomiya JAP m
Kathryn McPhee NZL f
Niki Roderick NZL f
William Trubridge NZL m
Natalia Molchanova RUS f
Alexey Molchanova RUS m
Johan Dahlstrom SWE m
Carlos Coste VEN m

3 judges: Grant, Gaby, Dematteis

Organization hoping on some Jils. Females could Jil males, and vice versa.

Sebastian

Last edited:
There will be at least one scientific study going on during the WC in Bahamas.
Conducted by: Frédéric Lemaître, Associate Professor, PhD Faculty of Sports Sciences.
He wants to study the changes in cardiac rhythm in man during underwater submersion by ECG telemetry.

Sebastian
Co-organizer

Some useless fact is also that nearly 1/5 of the athletes is a judge themselves.

Attachments

• Apnea Research protocol.pdf
    57.6 KB · Views: 310
On the athlets page I miss a lot of names of freedivers I previously heard they planned participating. Is the list complete, or do you still wait for some late registrations or confirmations, Will? For example I know Martin Stepanek originally planned coming. Dave Mullins not being there is surprising too - I though he skipped Aarhus to be able going to Bahamas. But there are others among the top who are not on the list, so am curious whether there is a chance to see them added to the list later.

Great looking website William!

Can you tell us about the level of reporting we may expect during the championships?

Will Herbert take on Martin Stepanec's WR of 122m?
May we see a new WR CNF of 90?
Will Sara Campbell surprise us in a direct head to head with Natalia?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT