• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA Indoor Freediving World Championship 2009 - Århus

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

martin_gk

Dec 20, 2006
Hi,

The official website of the [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5th Individual AIDA World Championship 2009 has[/FONT] just been updated:

FreeWC09

You will find information about the pool, schedules, traveling to Aarhus and accommodation. Some links are still inactive but that'll come soon enough...

The sing-up page is supposed to go online in about 1-2 weeks. Least thats what I hear...

Cheers
Martin [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Hi,

the registration for the event will start on Sunday the 17 of may at 18:00 pm CET.

All AIDA Nationals are kindley asked to register their athlets then.

Cheers
Martin

watch out, i'm going to be a judge there:)

do not fear athletes....trullalla will be froozen to pool-side up North, she will need loads of good Vodka to keep warm :friday .... maybe also to be used to bribe????

Grtzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Pim

Well, I wonder how national AIDA branches can register their competitors, when we have no ranking for 2008, not speaking about 2009. Probably only if they keep track of the results of their competitors (including those made abroad) better than AIDA International. If they rely on AIDA Int ranking, I am not quite sure how quick we'll see it. With the recent resignation of the Sport Officer, and the not yet assigned position of the Ranking Officer, it may take a few weeks. Hopefully we'll see the ranking before the WC begins. Anyway, assigning the wildcards for the top 10, according the rules, may be rather difficult without the ranking, so perhaps ther rule will have to be dropped, reducing so the number of competitors slightly.

Last edited:
I know it's not ideal, but athletes can probably make an educated guess based on their knowledge of who from their country has competed as to whether they would be eligible for selection or not.

My guess is that this is a priority for AIDA International, however they do have their fair share of problems at the moment. Until things settle back down on their side of the fence it might be good for the athletes and AIDA Nationals to be pro-active and determine for themselves who would qualify, without the official international rankings from AIDA.

AIDA know exactly what they need to do and seem to be moving in the right direction.

Cheers,
Ben

Just a pity AIDA refused the offered help with the ranking. Programmers in the community could have already written couple of scripts for importing the competition data from Excel sheets, from Freedive Central, and from other data formats available. That could have speed up and simplify the data entry and verification considerably. It is even more pity they did not think about asking for help before it became urgent. But otherwise yes, you are right - there are now apparently more important things that need to be solved. The ranking is a minor hassle in that light.

Well, onwards and upwards hopefully. Sure plenty of mistakes have been made or action not taken soon enough but from what i've read on here they have asked for candidates in the ranking position, they have a shortlist so we should have someone doing the job shortly.

I saw Bill and Jome in a judge course in May. Bill said that national AIDA branches can decide who they want to sent to WCs, just thinking who have the best chances to get good results in a big competition.

Of course WC organisations have given some futher information about the number of competitors (Pool: 3+3 and 2008 10 wildcards, Bahama 1/2+1/2, minimas etc.). In Denmark there can be 200 competitors, but in Bahama only tens of them...William T wants to have only the best there, cause there is not possible to manage hundreds of freedivers in the Blue Hole.

As the AIDA 2008 ranking list, you can use that in the AIDA web site, when looking for the 10 best 2008. From the top results there are missing probably nobody, or you can think so anyway, cause there is no better information available, and the list in the official AIDA web site.

These are not official comment, just mine, but I think this is the situation now.

BTW, in the judge course I raised discussion about:
- measuring the pool and Dyn/Dnf performance, when there is not a straight edge (e.g. there is a 10-20 cm place for standing)
- visibility reguirements for a AIDA tag.
Bill understood the importance of these issues, but didn't saw it necessary (enough?) to put them clearly in the rules...
But I think, it would be a benefit for freediving (competitors, comp. organisations and judges) if those things were clearly in rules...less misunderstandings and stress for everybody, and - more surely than now -the right judgements in different conditions.

Last edited:
The Danish Election for Århus is (after aarhus triple challenge) ready.

This weekend showed some really great dynamic swims... See for yourself:
Danish Rank for the WC

Blue is qualified through a wildcard
Yellow is qualified thorugh "normal" results.

Morten

News from DK:

In the past weekend we had the rehearsal for the World Championships with Aarhus Triple Challenge. During the competition we tested the setup – the changing of lanes, the wall that can be lowered from the ceiling to divide the 50 meter pool in two, the speaker system, the uv-camera system and the projector.

Most things worked very well, some things didn’t. We are learning and correcting errors for the big event in August.

Part of the safety diver course was also held in connection with Aarhus Triple Challenge. Stig Åvall Severinsen took care of the practical part of the safety course, and Sebastian Näslund explained the theoretical part. The safety people will meet again a couple of times for the last training sessions.

The two impressive Swedish national dnf-records that were set in the competition pool during the weekend promise exciting results at the World Championship.

Read more about the World Championships at our website FreeWC09

Best wishes,

The Event Committee

The Danish Election for Århus is (after aarhus triple challenge) ready.

This weekend showed some really great dynamic swims... See for yourself:
Danish Rank for the WC

Blue is qualified through a wildcard
Yellow is qualified thorugh "normal" results.

Morten

the qualifying dives in berlin 2009 shouldn't be considered, since that competition wasn't announced in the aida calendar and the results won't be in the ranking list...

What?

Im surprised. :confused: Any additional info will be very welcome... :)

Morten

no worries, now it's back in the calendar...it certainly wasn't there 2 weeks ago when i did a little research on all the competitions that took place in 2009. on the other hand the same happened to my minicomp. one day it misteriously disappeared from the calendar, only to reappear again just the day before the competition started. how bizarre...

Cool, then Im not worried.

Whats registered and whats on the ranking and whats on the aida-international webpage now or earlier seems to be an everchanging thing...

How bizarre... ;)

Morten

Whats registered and whats on the ranking and whats on the aida-international webpage now or earlier seems to be an everchanging thing...

How bizarre... ;)
Aida is maybe unstable now, earthquake is coming ? ;)

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT