• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA Results Register

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Can anyone call the attention of the board on this topic ?
Can't the WHOLE board take a decision on the way this should be solved ?

F

Hi,

Just so this does not get sidetracked, I can say that I was FOR making FC the official AIDA system. I think I even proposed it my self on occasion.

The current "AIDA ranking" site, actually started as the "Freediving team of Finland" ranking system way back in 2004 or something like that. More or less out of curiosity I then started to expand and experiment with making it more general and at some point, don't remember exactly how, ended up being what it is now with feedback from Bill and a couple of others.

As to why that decision was made, I really don't know. My guess is that at the time they didn't want a "private" site, but something under the wing of AIDA directly?

I have absolutely no personal interest in maintaining the ranking except the fact that I strongly felt that the excels were outdated and eventually it had to be put to a proper database. If fact it's a huge workload that I would gladly give away completely.

I don't care to have excel or the most superpowerful database tool, if half of the competitions are missing.

It seems to me that the number of competitions with AIDA ranking status has grown enormously in the last couple of years. There should be a clear committment from the organizers to provide the results in the way that AIDA defines, and from AIDA to do something with them.

Well there is a step forward that the Board has just announced a "vacancy for ranking responsible", there's even a slight fee involved.

Anyone feel up to the challenge?

I've been waiting for creating of a ranking responsible since last year. I wonder why it happen only now.

Till now both Freedivecentral and Jome's AIDA ranking site have no any official redirection of competition results from AIDA Int. So, all the effort of this topic was spent for how regular AIDA members can overcome such problem. Solution was very simple - just completely exclude AIDA Int from this process and lets to organizers ability to fill own results directly to DB. :t

Solution was very simple - just completely exclude AIDA Int from this process and lets to organizers ability to fill own results directly to DB. :t
Well, that's what we already have with FreediveCentral since several years, but as long as it is not enforced by AIDA, there is no chance to get organizers doing it systematically. I even tried helping some organizers with it, but I gave up soon, seeing they were completely uncooperative, and not considering it a help, but an annoyance.

Well there is a step forward that the Board has just announced a "vacancy for ranking responsible", there's even a slight fee involved.
It looks like the offer (120€/month) is limited to active AIDA judges only, which likely limits the choice significantly.

EDIT: Francisco would be the ideal person, but it's a question if he can accept the conditions and the responsability, and whether he'd find sufficient time for it. However, if he (or any other person accepting the position) gets sufficient support from the AIDA board, and has enough authority to enforce using a central system like the one of Freedive Central, the progress is guaranteed easily.

Last edited:
I don't think excluding of AIDA is good for image of AIDA Int 'cos one of main AIDA's targets is registering of freediving records and other performances.

FreediveCentral has some weak points:
- provides (own) ranking only for the current year
- results can be saved only for registered at the site athletes
- many organizers use FreediveCentral for announcement only

Hm, Osusim, I am afraid you have to choose: in one post you tell "Solution was very simple - just completely exclude AIDA Int from this process..." and in the other you deny it with "I don't think excluding of AIDA is good for image of AIDA".

If Freedive Central (or the system they developed) becomes the official system (which was offered years ago), there is no reason why AIDA would have to be excluded. The need for registering at competitors is no disatvantage. Quite the oppoiste - it excludes misspellings and duplicate records that are otherwise common in the database. And if the system is being enforced as the only way to submit results to AIDA International, organizers/judges will simply have to use it. That means we'll have complete and immediate ranking available practically in real time, instead of having to wait for months for it.

Hm, Osusim, I am afraid you have to choose: in one post you tell "Solution was very simple - just completely exclude AIDA Int from this process..." and in the other you deny it with "I don't think excluding of AIDA is good for image of AIDA".
Nope. You've start the discussion and this is your solution. The second one is that I think about the situation in general.

If you read this thread carefully, you can clearly see that I never suggested any solution excluding AIDA, because I simply do not believe it can work. Quite oppositely, I clearly stated that without consent from AIDA, it makes no sense - we saw where it leads already with Freedive Central that is in fact a rather ideal solution, just without the official blessing of AIDA.The above mentioned quotes were from your posts, not from mine.

How does one get 'official Aida blessing'?
By answering their position proposal with a motivation letter as they demand, and being then assigned as the responsible person for the results management.

EDIT: and I guess that the person who gets the position, will get also sufficient authority to decide what system to chose, and whether he/she wants to use the advantage of an Open Source project, and a wider cooperation with other programmers from the community, or whether he/she can and wants to do the job alone. I hope he/she will also have sufficient influence to enforce registrations and results submissions through the chosen system (whether it is Freedive Central or whatever else).

Last edited:
Yes - maybe.

As long as this person gets some authority and a little financial backing (for server-rent etc.). From the position proposal I got the impression they just want someone to update the database because Jome has higher priorities at the moment. It says absolutely about whether Aida feels the need for changes.

Yes, you are right, but that's why I think the person should clearly show his stand, and demand sufficient rights, reponsability, and authority when sending in the motivation letter. Being just an assistant to the Sport Officer, having to type in all the results in the present system is no good solution, on my mind. But that will be hopefully wisely decided by the entire AIDA board when selecting the best candidate.

Francisco, did not you try applying for that AIDA job? Being a judge and being associated with Freedive Central, you'd be without doubts the best qualified person for it. However, I realize that if AIDA searches just a typist who will enter the data in Excel tables or the current AIDA register, and gives the result commissar no rights, no independence, and no authority, it would make no sense trying to apply - it would be just a lot of frustrating work and responsibility for little money. But I think you should write to the committee anyway, applying for the job, under the conditions you define.

Jome, or anyone else from AIDA, could you please tell us what the status quo is? Was anyone assigned for the "result comissar" position? Can we hope for some progress soon?

There are plenty of competitions done this year, and so far practically none of them appear in the ranking. Normally, I would not care too much, and could patiently wait, but some nations close the qualifications for the worlds in May, and if the results are not online, they will only count their own national competitions that they have in their own databases. While for most people it does not matter, since they do only local competitions, for others it would be fatal.

So please let us know what the situation is, who is now responsible for the result feeding, and whether AIDA really does not care about merging with Freedive Central, and opening their system (and the one of FC), inviting so programmers from the community to contribute with improvements and extensions. Also, it would be nice to know if there is already some schedule, and whether we can expect to see the 2008 results until the beginning of May. If not, I am afraid it will be quite critical and we may see some people quite unhappy.

It would be also lovely if Bill, or Pim told us more about their stand, and the reasons for refusing Francisco's offer, or the reason for keeping the system closed. If anyone who knows them personally, could ping them and make them aware of this thread, it would be nice.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT