• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

airguns: Sporasub One Air 2012!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Any photos of the "One-Air" tank cross-section available? I notice web-sites selling the gun still use the prototype photos with the windowed nose cone (triangular windows each side as seen from above). I am curious as to the ID of the central pressurized section because that will determine the gun's compression ratio.

Attachments

• One Air cross section.png
    One Air cross section.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
I went right back through this long thread and found the answers were already here. The ID of the inner pressure tank is slightly over 37 mm and the tank cross-section was shown on a combined images document posted by Tromic. I have cut the tank cross-section image out, which I assume is a photo and have attached it here. The crescent shaped side tanks have rounded ends to improve the locations for sealing, the extrusion being reduced in section where the tanks merge with the central element to produce slight surface grooves on either side.

Attachments

• Sporasub One Air cross section.jpg
    Sporasub One Air cross section.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
After reading this entire thread through again it appears that perceptions of the "One Air" have been very much influenced by a lack of early information, at least in English, to explain its idiosyncrasies and what have then been deemed to be failings. I now think that the muzzle on Broseidon's gun just bore marks because that is the only way to tighten the muzzle up, there are no muzzle ports to key into with a C-spanner or a rod passed through the ports, so the jaws of the spanner have to bear on those flats in the muzzle sides instead. No doubt the marks can be avoided by using the right sized tool which is a snug fit, but in that particular case someone may have just used an adjustable jaw spanner on it and the jaws rocked slightly on the flats marking the anodizing.

The problematic line release behaviour will be dictated by the mechanism elements located inside the removable rear grip, a look inside there should explain everything. They are outside the pressurized section and it should be possible to simulate the problem by just playing around with the detached rear handle. If the line release lever swung fully forwards stops the sliding pin in the grip section that pushes on the opposite pin sticking out of the rear of the pressurized section from fully retracting then that is where the "problem" lies, especially if there are no biasing springs in the rear grip housing to reverse the action without you pulling the line release lever back manually. If the line release lever was heavy enough then it should fall back on its own with the muzzle raised to cock the gun, but it appears that it is not, so you have to push it back with your fingers. Straight after the shot would be a good time to do it.

It now seems to me that the "One-Air" side tanks are mainly there to add some inertial mass due to the extra metal in the side tanks' curved exterior walls (for recoil reduction) and increased water displacement (floatation) to offset that extra weight in order to maintain post-discharge gun buoyancy. On pressurized tank capacity alone the gun is going to be the same as any other 40 mm OD (about 38 mm ID) tank on a pneumatic gun, so except for any additional friction reduction in the piston used the real benefit is in the vacuum muzzle equipped inner barrel. The downside of this design is the extra bulk of the tank for swinging the gun around in terms of it being a bit more of a paddle and the gun being somewhat longer, given its piston's powered travel distance, with some of the trigger mechanism now sitting rearwards of the pressure tank rather than inside it, as is also the situation with the "Airbalete".

When I first heard of the "One Air" gun I thought that it was all about having a larger capacity pressure reservoir, which seemed a bit odd as you usually have a larger reservoir for high pressure shooting to keep the gun's compression ratio low, but a vacuum barrel means a lower start or initial charge pressure can be used, so why try for a low compression ratio by having a big tank? Well the answer is that it does not have a bigger tank, at least in terms of a pressurized tank, than any of its competitors. The curious thing is if you aim to increase the inertial mass, then why shoot only 6.75 mm OD spears and only have a 11.2 mm ID inner barrel? You don't really need the extra gun mass as you are not shooting heavy spears where recoil could be a problem.

The above comment isn't meant to be a criticism, it is just trying to find some rationale in the design, above producing a different looking gun, which it certainly is. The answer may be the bigger inner barrel gun is yet to come, the "One Air" being the first edition to try everything out after the "Airbalete" proved the removeable handle.

Maybe the "One-Air II" will be a future version, or should that be the "One Air 13", which will shoot larger diameter spear shafts.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if its ok to use oil on the one air instead of grease. Just curios to see if oil is ok,I rebember reading somewhere that Omer grease is better.

Does anybody know if its ok to use oil on the one air instead of grease. Just curios to see if oil is ok,I rebember reading somewhere that Omer grease is better.

I want to thank Mark at sporasub US for his help with the one air, I got my one air back, after they changed the piston.I hopefully i will hit the pool in the next few weeks and give it a go. The gun takes oil and there special grease. When I first got the gun there wasn't any oil in it, I pulled some air out of it and no sign of oil. Yestuday I was trying my new fill whip so I decited to pull some air and there was a good about of oil mist, came out.

Got into a pool today with my one air 90, after Mark from sporasub US put in a new piston. I shot the gun 4 times as I got a phone call to come home( baby has a fever),had the gun at 25 Litlle hard to cock but can be done.i was shooting at
13 feet into a hard foam target, was getting 6 to 7in penetration , that was pretty good concedering the foam is pretty hard. I'm going to drop down the pressure to 22 should be more than enough for NJ wreck diving and for beach dive for stripers. One thing I de notice is the void between the barrel and trigger were they come apart by the stainless pin I feel it better to pull that apart and rinse when done diving in saltwater I feel it is a place were it will corrode quick(should be in the manuel)if not rinsed well. I wonder what will happen if loaded underwater in saltwater. Sporasub said it won't hurt the gun but I wonder if salt it going into the barrel will the piston keep it clean of should it be lubed more often. Overall I'm very happy with the gun, you just need to remind your self to set the line release before loading it. Maybe in the next version the will resolve that , as I fond myself forgetting to do it twice In 4 shots.

After reading this entire thread through again it appears that perceptions of the "One Air" have been very much influenced by a lack of early information, at least in English, to explain its idiosyncrasies and what have then been deemed to be failings. I now think that the muzzle on Broseidon's gun just bore marks because that is the only way to tighten the muzzle up, there are no muzzle ports to key into with a C-spanner or a rod passed through the ports, so the jaws of the spanner have to bear on those flats in the muzzle sides instead. No doubt the marks can be avoided by using the right sized tool which is a snug fit, but in that particular case someone may have just used an adjustable jaw spanner on it and the jaws rocked slightly on the flats marking the anodizing.

The problematic line release behaviour will be dictated by the mechanism elements located inside the removable rear grip, a look inside there should explain everything. They are outside the pressurized section and it should be possible to simulate the problem by just playing around with the detached rear handle. If the line release lever swung fully forwards stops the sliding pin in the grip section that pushes on the opposite pin sticking out of the rear of the pressurized section from fully retracting then that is where the "problem" lies, especially if there are no biasing springs in the rear grip housing to reverse the action without you pulling the line release lever back manually. If the line release lever was heavy enough then it should fall back on its own with the muzzle raised to cock the gun, but it appears that it is not, so you have to push it back with your fingers. Straight after the shot would be a good time to do it.

It now seems to me that the "One-Air" side tanks are mainly there to add some inertial mass due to the extra metal in the side tanks' curved exterior walls (for recoil reduction) and increased water displacement (floatation) to offset that extra weight in order to maintain post-discharge gun buoyancy. On pressurized tank capacity alone the gun is going to be the same as any other 40 mm OD (about 38 mm ID) tank on a pneumatic gun, so except for any additional friction reduction in the piston used the real benefit is in the vacuum muzzle equipped inner barrel. The downside of this design is the extra bulk of the tank for swinging the gun around in terms of it being a bit more of a paddle and the gun being somewhat longer, given its piston's powered travel distance, with some of the trigger mechanism now sitting rearwards of the pressure tank rather than inside it, as is also the situation with the "Airbalete".

When I first heard of the "One Air" gun I thought that it was all about having a larger capacity pressure reservoir, which seemed a bit odd as you usually have a larger reservoir for high pressure shooting to keep the gun's compression ratio low, but a vacuum barrel means a lower start or initial charge pressure can be used, so why try for a low compression ratio by having a big tank? Well the answer is that it does not have a bigger tank, at least in terms of a pressurized tank, than any of its competitors. The curious thing is if you aim to increase the inertial mass, then why shoot only 6.75 mm OD spears and only have a 11.2 mm ID inner barrel? You don't really need the extra gun mass as you are not shooting heavy spears where recoil could be a problem.

The above comment isn't meant to be a criticism, it is just trying to find some rationale in the design, above producing a different looking gun, which it certainly is. The answer may be the bigger inner barrel gun is yet to come, the "One Air" being the first edition to try everything out after the "Airbalete" proved the removeable handle.

Maybe the "One-Air II" will be a future version, or should that be the "One Air 13", which will shoot larger diameter spear shafts.

Just a quick note to you Pete to say that I pretty much agree with your arguments on this one (also this one:)).
And that in real life, I did wonder a bit if my One Air 120 had to be that bulky. It's pretty neutral in the water, but since it has almost no recoil, I do think they could have lightened it up a bit. But then again, I don't have much to compare it with. But it does feel quite a bit heavier than eg. a 120 RA railgun (I noticed from moving another spearo's RA gun around in the boat we were on).

Best,
David

Last edited:
Hi David, maybe the next time you take the detachable rear handle off the back of your "One Air 120" you could check the action of the trigger mechanism and its interplay with the line release lever just by moving the various parts by hand and watching what happens. If there are any springs inside the rear handle you should be able to detect their presence even if you cannot see them. I expect that the trigger itself will have a return spring even if there are no other springs inside the rear handle. I have not seen what is inside the rear handle of an "Airbalete" either, but I expect that they are very similar, if not identical.

I did play around with it a bit last time but let's see if I can recall it correctly. There is no spring connected to the line release, that much I know. I can't recall if there is even one on the trigger. The trigger pin from the main barrel has tension on it (it pushes onto the pin that it connects with in the handle), so it may not be needed. As far as I could judge, the line release is really simple. It sits in a slit in the top and part of the trigger and I did notice that when you load the line release it puts a little bit of tension on the trigger and moves it a tiny bit.
I will look more next time and come up with a better report, but I think it wont be until late April, so perhaps someone else can look into it sooner.

Looking at a profile photo of the handle the line release lever is situated just above the top of the opening for the trigger in the handle molding (i.e. the opening framed by the trigger finger guard), so the inner end of that line release lever must press directly on the front of the trigger before you shoot. When you pull the trigger a notch molded into the front of the trigger must revolve downwards travelling in an arc around the trigger pivot pin to allow the inner end of the line release lever to swing back and move into that notch as the shooting line pulls the outer end of the line release forwards. If the inner end of the line release lever stays inside that notch then the trigger cannot roll up and that in turn will keep the horizontal travel actuating pin slid forwards that pushes on the release pin sticking out of the rear end of the pressurized section. So the line release lever's inner end keeps the trigger depressed until you swing it out of that notch (or recess) on the trigger. That will be why the mechanism does not hold the muzzle loaded piston as the sear lever tail is always unlatched with the trigger being continually held in the pulled condition. Applying the safety which is right at the rear of the handle would apply pressure on the trigger to revolve it back into the "pre-fire" position, but my guess is the line release lever inner end will still block any movement as the notch in the trigger will be pressing upwards on it while the line release lever inner end has to swing outwards, the motion is in two different planes at right angles to each other. Being able to apply the safety would be an indicator that everything was back in the right place, but you still have to pull the line release lever outer end back. If you rig your shooting line first, which requires sticking the spear tail in the muzzle, wrapping the line, then muzzle loading the gun you will be forced to remember to do it. Maybe not so easy on a long gun with all that shaft length hanging out the front end of the muzzle.

Just wondering, what is the max pressure would be recommended for one air 90?? I have the complete pressure gauge system for omer and the scuba tank adaptor, the most I can get in the gun without the over pressure system releaseing is 25 ata.. Does that sound right? On instructions is seems it would be 30 ata.

Just wondering, what is the max pressure would be recommended for one air 90?? I have the complete pressure gauge system for omer and the scuba tank adaptor, the most I can get in the gun without the over pressure system releaseing is 25 ata.. Does that sound right? On instructions is seems it would be 30 ata.

Omer probably left some margin so as not to pressurize the gun too close to 30 ata, the maximum they recommend for the gun. If you want to go higher then you either have to change the over pressure setting or use the hand pump in conjunction with a gauge equipped fill adaptor.

Omer probably left some margin so as not to pressurize the gun too close to 30 ata, the maximum they recommend for the gun. If you want to go higher then you either have to change the over pressure setting or use the hand pump in conjunction with a gauge equipped fill adaptor.

Thanks Pete
Higher I won't go.I feel that at 25ata it is overkill for what I'm doing going to set at 20-21 ata. I was just wondering thank you for you responding.

For 6.5 mm shaft 20 - 21 bar; for 7 mm shaft 25 bar would be OK (11 mm barrel).

So, it's been some time since one air has been out, has anybody shot anything big? I have only been in pool with it so far so good.

Haven't taken my 120 out since Jan/Feb and will have to wait until later in the year. It is in storage at my friend's place, but I just swung by the other day to remind myself of how it looked:). One thing, I might have forgotten to add in previous posts is how heavy it is. It is neutral, but does have bulk which I guess helps explain how the recoil is so soft and controlled.

I've been laid up with a severed tendon in my hand and read this entire thread a few days ago to kill the boredom. My interest was piqued so I decided to call Mark at Technosport here in the states and ordered a One Air 90. I've been concerned that loading my band guns will be difficult at best until my hand fully heals so this gun should fit the bill nicely. Though I do have some reservations as my last foray into the dark side was met with utter disappointment - I thoroughly hated my Cyrano 970! Hoping for great things with the Sporasub. With luck I'll be able to post a proper review of my experiences with it shortly.

I've been laid up with a severed tendon in my hand and read this entire thread a few days ago to kill the boredom. My interest was piqued so I decided to call Mark at Technosport here in the states and ordered a One Air 90. I've been concerned that loading my band guns will be difficult at best until my hand fully heals so this gun should fit the bill nicely. Though I do have some reservations as my last foray into the dark side was met with utter disappointment - I thoroughly hated my Cyrano 970! Hoping for great things with the Sporasub. With luck I'll be able to post a proper review of my experiences with it shortly.

Hi Jason
I also have a 90 it does have some power behind it, I leave it at 23
And works quiet well loading isn't that bad. Just make sure you rinse
The handle really well, I pull it out and rinse( no need to do that just me))
So far a 27lbs striper and plenty of seabass. I did practice for awhile in the
Pool.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT