• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

airguns: Sporasub One Air 2012!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
When pumping, I put the gun facing down with the muzzle on a towel or something soft. Depending on the length of the gun I might have to stand on something.
Wear a glove on the hand you pump with - putting literally 100s of strokes into this will result in blisters.
If you have to let out air - for traveling on planes, for service or if you put too much in then leave the gun muzzle down for 10 mins or more to let most of the oil settle away from the valve. Then use the tip of pretty much anything that suits (I hear knitting needles are good), wrap some tissue around it to take potential oil spray and slowly push in on the valve.

90cm with 20 bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful fish! And great to finally see some fish taken on this gun. You have a 90cm gun... Well, proves that my 120cm is a bit over the top I guess for my needs.
It seems like a One Air in 90cm would cover a lot of different needs. Even a 100 is smaller or around the same size as a 90cm bandgun so could be a great gun for reefs as well as blue water. It def seems to have ample penetration power.

Once again, nice fish!

Thank you Gecko!
Yes, pneumatic guns are indeed absent in Denmark.
Really looking forward to 'take it for a spin' and go hunting the next couples of weeks.
I don't have any pressure gauge - but will follow your recommendation and start at 18-20atm

Thanks to your description, I figured out how to access the valve.
Still have a couples of clarifying questions:
- do you use reel or bungee for the line / and what knot do you use for the spear?
- have you adjusted the trigger sensitivity?
- 20atm is a lot of strokes = 390 strokes - can you confirm that I read the chart correctly?
- and last: is the muzzle(head) supposed to be tight? why is it so easy to unscrew?

Thank you again for kindly taking your time to explain thoroughly.
And btw are you still in Denmark? - if not, let me know next time when you are around Copenhagen.
Carl,

Hi Carl,
Nah, I was home for a few weeks not long ago. Busy trip and only squeezed in a little bit of spearing with some of the good folks from uvjaegeren.dk as I have no clue where to spear in DK.
(Oh, did the two of us talk here earlier? I totally forgot that you might have offered to head out with me as well...)
What I realized is that it's a totally different kind of spearing there for the most parts. Very, very shallow with a lot of ambushing but unfortunately the mullets hadn't arrived yet. I did see one really big trout on a night dive, but they are so skittish. That's probably just a bad excuse as the guy I was with took three trouts that same night:)

Rigging
My One Air is a bit bigger, so I use the reel for it. Do you have a reel yet? If not, then just start without.
In general, most people use smaller-sized guns without a reel unless they dive deep.
What's a bit tricky is that the One Air will take four full loops of mono (which is what I have) before it starts taking line from the reel. But the line release should have been a few mm longer as it almost doesn't have room for four loops of mono - the last loop is prone to fall off.
I now spool the last loop of mono onto the reel and thus have three full loops on the gun and line release.
So, perhaps you can start with three loops and a bungee?
And if you dive deep then do think about a reel.
I use a 1.25mm mono (I think) which is called Triple Ace or something like that. Got it from the shop in Italy where I got the gun.
It's crimped in both ends. And then I have some Salvimar line on the reel.

Trigger Sensitivity
Nope, hasn't fiddled with it. Which is a surprise as I love to tinker with most things. But it is sweet right out of the box and has to be the best trigger on any pneumatic gun. Just leave it for now. I bet you'll love it.

Pump Strokes
yes, seems like you read it correctly. Hence the glove:). I speak from experience...
But maybe aim for a bit less than 20 bar on your first outing. Just so you get the hang of loading it. It would be crap if you got in the water and had too hard a time loading it while all the mullets circled you.
It's easy putting more in, less easy taking it out. You'll still shoot fish at 18 bar.

Muzzle head
If you are talking about the outermost part with the o-ring on the otside then yes. Mine is not super tight either. I think given that the o-ring is on the outside that it supposed to be able to be screwed in and out with just your finger.
That part doesn't do that much on its own. It doesn't seal but keeps the seal under it in place and the Delrin part which is screwed into the outer part works as a low friction guide for the spear. The seal is changeable both because it may wear out and because you need different sized seals for different sized spears.
One thing to be aware of as I expect you'll mostly do beach dives - don't let you gun wash around too much, if at all, by the shore going in and out. The reason is that you don't want sand in the inner barrel as it can scratch it and mess the seals of the piston up. I guess that's also why they made the outer part of the muzzle easy to removed as it is a tiny bit easier to clean out the inner barrel when it is gone.
I normally just rinse the gun after use like people with bandguns would. But if I suspect there is sand in the muzzle, I'll take the gun with me in the shower and rinse it out more.

Just shoot if you have more questions!

Last edited:
Beautiful fish! And great to finally see some fish taken on this gun. You have a 90cm gun... Well, proves that my 120cm is a bit over the top I guess for my needs.
It seems like a One Air in 90cm would cover a lot of different needs. Even a 100 is smaller or around the same size as a 90cm bandgun so could be a great gun for reefs as well as blue water. It def seems to have ample penetration power.

Once again, nice fish!
Thanks! It was all luck, right place at the right time.
I don't know, can never have too much penetration. One size gun will never be able to do it all.

Last edited:
Now that there are many guns in service I was wondering what the internal volumetric capacity of the "One Air" is when compared to the "Airbalete" for the exact same length guns. That may be possible to estimate from the pumping tables for each gun, assuming that they both use the same hand pump in terms of its dimensions. The "One Air" is basically a pressurized cylinder, if you ignore the non-pressurized side tanks, while the "Airbalete" is a hydroformed tank with a bulbous shape and varying proportions along the barrel length, not just at the ends. If one gun requires more pump strokes then it must have a larger capacity tank than the other one to reach say 20 Bar. Comparisons at a number of pressures would be possible using their respective pumping tables, just as it is possible to compare a "Sten" with a "Cyrano", although there the inner barrels are of different diameters and hence so are the dimensions of the aluminium tubing used for those barrels.

Hi again gecko
what pressure gauge do you use?

Air Pressure Gauge for Pneumatic Spearguns by Omer Omersub P6565501 : Scuba diving, spearfishing, swimming and triathlon equipment online UK shop

this one from OMER, I should think works well with One Air as well, right?

Yup, that's the one I have.
Mine is a semi-lemon, so glad Jason's works flawlessly.
Basically, the little pin at the end of the gauge which opens the valve is a tiny bit too short on mine.
I can pull it out with a pair of pliers but that will only last for a few readings.

Annoying, but as said - good to hear it is likely just mine.

Is the general consensus that more pressure is better? Currently I'm shooting my 90 and 110 with the factory loaded 20 bar and wondering what the benefit/drawback would be to increasing the pressure. I'd like even more shaft speed for shooting some of our smaller more wary fishes but am not completely certain what the downside to adding pressure is.....I'm sure this topic has been gone over ad nauseam elsewhere on the site but please indulge me a little :)

I guess a lot of guys pump it to the point where it just OK to load. If it's within the specs of the manufacturer, that should give you the best performance.
But maybe around the reef (banging spears into rocks) and without a regulator on the One Air, it could be an issue having it too powerful? At least, that's the only potential drawback I can think of.

Here's the manual

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wsnockofvb9fn8h/Manuale One Air rev-1.pdf

You guys that bought the gun new, did you get the muzzle parts with it that allow you to change the diameter of the spear? Also has anyone got a good contact for ordering spare spears? Thanks

I've pumped mine to 26bar just because im in New Zealand and i'll be going mostly for kingfish and pelagics with it, judging my the reports on here I think it's going to be a pretty useful piece of kit. I certainly wouldn't fire it around the rocks with that much pressure in it though. It's a shame it doesn't have a regulator really. Certainly a lot easier to load at 26bar than a cressi SL though for some reason - maybe the 11 vs 13 barrel.....

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish and Jegwan
Thanks for the manual.

Yes, it's the difference in inner barrel diameter that makes the difference. A gun with 11mm barrel need a 40% higher pressure to equal one with 13mm. 11mm@25bar equals 13mm@18bar.

Good luck with the gun,
Jégwan

Reactions: Crispin
I have a one air 90 and never shot it any deeper than 10ft- 3m. What is the deepest I can go before I lose a lot of power??
I'm shooting 5-10lbs in holes 7ft max distance.

I don't think that it is worth worrying about as you need to go a lot deeper to run into ambient pressure effects on pneumatic speargun shooting performance.

At 10 metres of depth you would have ambient pressure double that at the surface as the weight of the water above you adds to the weight of the Earth's atmosphere which creates the pressure acting on you at the surface. A pneumatic gun is powered by the force from pressure inside the gun being greater than that pressure outside the gun, so it is the pressure differential acting on the piston that counts. If a gun was charged to 20 atmospheres then at 10 metres it would behave as if it was charged to 19 atmospheres at the surface. In absolute pressure terms that would be 21 atmospheres in the gun minus 2 atmospheres at 10 metres of water depth as you have to add 1.0 to the gauge pressure as the latter is only a relative measurement compared to the ambient pressure where the gauge was used. Absolute pressure is mentioned here as the pressure inside the inner barrel of a cocked vacuum barrel gun is close to zero, so the external pressure seen by the piston is only that experienced over the cross section of the spear rather than that of the piston as only the spear pokes out into the surrounding water, like the stem on a tire or bicycle valve. That results in a reduction of opposing force from ambient pressure compared to a wet barrel pneumatic gun, the reduction being determined by the ratio of the spear to inner barrel diameters squared. Thus for a gun with a 11 mm diameter inner barrel shooting a 7 mm diameter spear it would be 49/121 which equals 0.4, the vacuum muzzle's outer face bearing the remaining 0.6 of external pressure that would otherwise extend through to the piston's front face by the water column that has been excluded from the inner barrel.

I expect that muzzle vacuum seal friction may increase with ambient pressure and reduce the advantage somewhat of the shielding effect of the muzzle vacuum seal, but I have no data on that. After leaving the gun the spear may be slowed by other ambient pressure effects at much greater depths, but that would apply to any type of speargun.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
image.jpg
So I went out this weekend and took my air 90 down to 75 ft 22-23 meters and shot 2 nice blackfish one 15 lbs the other 18 lbs, very nice size for Jersey. The one air did a great job they were about 5-7 ft away. I have 3 wraps on mine using the shooting line that came with it( if was the first time uses the one air.. I think it's dyneema braids in white, it got destroyed the outer stuff was ripped up. My question is how many wraps are most using and what kind of shooting line?? The gun is set at 20ATA. Most of my shooting will be in the 4-10 max.

Last edited:
Consider your visibility when you are setting the number of wraps. Do you have a reel on this gun? you can always use the reel line for shooting line, just pull some out, and add more wraps of it, if needed. But using a bungie would require you to always have to meet the shooting line at the muzzle and would almost dictate the number of wraps...

also, what are you calling a wrap? is that from the line release to the muzzle and back to the line release ? do you find that what you have to wrap to be too much? I have a 90cm rail gun and a single wrap is def easier then a double, or even a triple. But i couldnt imagine limiting my air gun to a single wrap, thats mainly because i tuned it to shoot 20 feet and in clear waters...i understand that your gun has a line slide and its shooting line doesn't start at the mech end of the shaft like banded guns.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have a reel and I consider a wrap one full turn, on the one air that would be 15 ft -41/2 meters, sites I am trying to reduce the amount of wraps on it. I have a snap swivel on the reel line that gets attached to the shooting line. The reason for this is to be able to disconnect the shooting line to make it easer to pull out fish. So maybe I should connect the 2 together and just use 2 wraps??

No keep a small snap swivel on there to disconnect the line and pull fish off of and to avoid twists. Switch to a double wrap, youll find its easier to manage. Consider using a bungie so you dont always have to fuss with the reel to get the shooting lines tension and reel line length perfect so it stays on the line release. The bungie will give you that little slack and little tension to easily stick it on.

No keep a small snap swivel on there to disconnect the line and pull fish off of and to avoid twists. Switch to a double wrap, youll find its easier to manage. Consider using a bungie so you dont always have to fuss with the reel to get the shooting lines tension and reel line length perfect so it stays on the line release. The bungie will give you that little slack and little tension to easily stick it on.
Thanks again I was thinking the same thing might just do a double wrap and use a bungie.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT