• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea/Freediving Course

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Gahiel

Deep Blue Diver
Jan 24, 2007
Hey all, well as you can see I am new here and I am wondering if any of you fellow Wisconsinites would happen to know of any Apnea or Free Diving courses in or around Wisconsin. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: bgill
I'm the only one who teaches one, PADI distincitve specialty, but I didn't renew my insurance for this year- too busy with the family to make up the $600 in insurance premiums. :head I guess if I had a bunch of students interested I'd pay the insurance and teach a course, or two, but right now my kids are little and take up most of my time.

If you can travel to Miami I would HIGHLY reccommend the PFI class. If you can swing a trip to the Bahamas Will has a pretty cool Apnea Acadamy course that he runs in the blue hole there.

Jon

ya going to florida on my high school student budget is not going to happen for a few years:head But ohh well. With this new training thing im doing im going to be more than ready for this summer. Hoping to break 75ft. rofl anyway thanks for all of the help jon

If you ca make it to Freedive-A-Palooza this summer we can get you to 75'.

Jon

ok it sounds good! Im not quite ready yet, my dynamic in pool is only like 80yrds:head(in my defense however im useing a regular swim suit and pool bi fins) ohh well. Anyway im doin one of my static tables every day, swimming running, and doing dynamic drills in the pool. I just hope that it is enough. By the way jon im slowly working on the frenzel equilization teck. Any tips, or tricks? I found this great link and while I havn't worked all they way through the document yet, it seems super usefull!! I just hope that Ill have it down pat by this summer. Im so exited! Thankyou for all of your help and hope to see you in the water.
link: http://www.liquivision.ca/frenzel.doc

It looks like you already found the paper I would suggest to you.

The only thing I will say is not to try and do statics in the water by yourself or do any kind of max dynamic in the water by yourself- the pool is one of the most dangerous places for a freediver if you don't have a buddy in the water right next to you.

From what you've told me so far I don't think you'll have any problems hitting 75'.

Jon

ohh no!! I definatly do not do static tables in the water (people would think im dieing or something) lolz anyway do you think that 75' wouldn't be too bad? im just concerned with pressure and getting my equilization down pat. anyway thanks alot for the support.

Reactions: maytag
Hey Guys,
Jon, if/when you offer your course again, please post here. I'd be interested, too.

C-card a plus
icon10.gif
!!!!

Thanks,

I would definately be interested in a freediving course if its not too pricey....Jon....C'mon man....I'm sure you'd have 6-12 students within a few days. That should pay for the insurance!

If you can get 6 students together for a course I'll teach one. $150 a head and that includes the C-card. We would need to get everyone to meet on the same weekends- and not one at a time. Milwaukee would be the best place for me to run one- diveshop, pool, lakes and charter boat all in one place.

Jon

:inloveTheres FOUR interested already!!!!!:t

I'm sure Whopperhead & Pinggene would be interested....& then there is this Douglas guy (a kayaker & school teacher) that I dove outta South Shore with. He said he was thinking about going to Miami next summer or something for a course. He says he knows your Dad with the Charter boat.

I'm sure that ATLEAST 6 will come together no problem. The only problem might be is you may get too many people interested to teach them all at once!!!!

:cool: I'd imagine this class would take place next spring or summer and would be an intermediate course right? That is IF we can get six people together for it.

EDIT: Looks like me, Gahiel, maytag, and ILDiver would be up for it!!!! C'mon Whopperhead & Pinggene!!!!!!

And at that price you might even get people to FLY in for the course from all over the country!!!!!!!!! What a bargain!

Jon....You better start makin' plans buddy! I think you may have opened a BIGGER can of worms than you had imagined!!!!!!

Last edited:
The course I teach is equivalent to about an AIDA **- but with a PADI card at the end. Max depth is 20 meters, although you can do whatever you want after your done. Large emphasis and safety and how to be a proper buddy/safety diver. I will also video your technique so we can review and improve.

I would always recommend someone go down and do Kirk's course first, it's that good, but there was a need for something closer, and cheaper, so I came up with this one- with a little encouragement from Samdive. I've tried to get Kirk to come up here and run a course, but the cost ($700 a person) and the amount of students we needed (15) was just too much to ever get one organized.

I would actually prefer to run the course sometime this fall- so everyone would be up to speed for ice (free)diving this February. There's still plenty of dive time left before the water chills off too much.

I've talked to Doug before about diving and I can always run a couple of classes if there was really that much interest. My main concern is that people are doing things as safely as they can and many times I find divers are taking unnecessary chances due to a simple lack of knowledge.

Jon

Jon, for me the sooner the better. I still plan to do a PFI course next year too. Mainly I need a reason to get up there to dive and meet people and learning is always good!

Are you kidding me?! Heck ya I'm IN!!!rofl Here's a couple weekends I don't work: Sept. 22,23/29,30 Oct. 6,7/13,14 or Nov 3,4. if one fo these 5 weekends don't work for some reason - I can try to manage something else (aka no-sleep or call in sick ;) ) I could even have a buddy from work that might be interested. This would be awesome! I've been thinking about traveling just to take a course- That would be great if I didn't have to.

COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!!! :friday

Whopperhead, if your bro wanted to go, he could drive up here and ride up with me, that might be another??

Lets start with those dates and have everyone else chime in on what works for them.

I'd like to do this on a Friday night, Saturday and Sunday schedule. We can do the openwater in one of the smaller lakes or, the first day, off of shore in Lake Michigan. The second day we need more depth so we could either drive to an inland lake or charter a boat out on Lake Michigan.

I have the charter boat all picked out and can see what kind of a deal I can get for our group if people are interested in that- charter fees are separate from course fees. The advantage to Lake Michigan in vis, but this is one of the tricker times of year to dive out there due to the weather- like the gale force winds that are going to be hammering her all weekend.

The inland lakes don't have the vis, but the are always calm enough to run most courses. We could choose any numbers of lakes for the second day. Nagawicka might be close, and deep, enough for most people. There's also Red Granite Quarry which has very easy access to depth. Lake Wazee is kind of a drive for a single day but I'll go wherever everyone else wants to. I've never done Lake Geneva from shore but I could be talked into that if someone has a nice entry spot picked out.

I have some gear for people to try, but not enough wetsuits for everyone. I've go fins, monofins, Sphera masks, pipe goggles, lanyards and a counter ballast retrieval system (which will be used by everyone on the second day), as well as a wide range of snorkels for everyone to try as part of the course.

Jon

He very well could- He's VERY GREEN - I'm not sure if he's even been down 10'. He's Just STARTING. If this class is open to the VERY Beginner- I'm sure he would. I know he's coming up Oct 6,7. I know his BH's are limited, because he is a Smoker. But we'll see.

Last edited:
Any of them dates will work for me as I'm self employed....All I have to do is ask "the boss" for time off!!!! My family will be in South Africa without me so I won't even have them to slow me down.

I doubt If I'll have my Elios by then but I'm sure the wetsuit I'm using will work out just fine. I just need to get a hood and posibly some gloves.

So as far as a date I'm open. I suggest you (Jon) throw out a date - Most will do what they have to to make it...Like Whopperhead said " sick days or whatever!" He's in!

The November dates probably won't be the best though...I'm pretty much in the woods looking for "Bullwinkle" the Whitetailed Buck as I'm sure MANY others would be....In Wisconsin anyways.

I too have been thinking about making the Miami AIDA PFI class...But I probably won't be able to do it this year - I'm so busy with my business to get away for more than a few days at a time I can't justify going to Miami JUST for the PFI course.

Last edited:
Well, I'm pretty green also. 20' is my best my BH is ~1:15 or so. I don't practice the tables as much as I should. Sept/Oct should be good for me as well. I hope to have my 3mm OMER soon. We'll see how tomorrow goes!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT