• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea/Freediving Course

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Looks like we're down to only three. It's probably best to wait until spring so more people can join in.

In the mean time, and in light of recent tragedies, I would highly encourage everyone on here to always dive with a buddy. There has been quite a bit on discussion about this on another list that I'm on, and it can't be stated clearly enough that there there simply is NO such thing as a safe, solo, freedive.

Jon

how did we get down to 3? Me, Bgill, ILDiver, PING, Fleshy (you in?) TOL? I'm not sure who else- But If that IS the case- I will make time in the spring- I sometimes spearfish solo- but- I never push my limits- I don't go very deep or stay down for very long- But I do understand the concern- It is scary when you REALLY think about it. Alot of times for my solo dives is because I have weird days off and alot of people mainly have weekends off. But I will post anytime I plan on going out somewheres- before hand. Like I would like to get out on Thursday Sept 13. If anyone has off and would like to try someplace- let me know - otherwise I might be going to GreenLake.

IF all of those people really can make it, and have proper wetsuits, than we can still do it. There were others interested who can no longer do it this fall.

Jon

I guess - I kinda forgot about the wetsuit issue - Maybe this way - it will give them time to be ready in the spring.

:waterwork Bummer....I hope everyone has thier shiznit together in the spring.

I may possibly be going to the 4 day Miami PFI class early next year (spring). I have relatives in Miami where I can stay. I just gotta come up with the $695.00 and apply by February or I think it might get sold out.

I figured your class (Jon) would be a perfect warm up class for the intermediate PFI course.

If there is still a shot at it (a fall class) let me know...I'll be there as will be a few others I'm sure.

As far as diving alone...I sure don't like too...A few weeks ago I was asked by the cops on Lake Geneva Police boat "Wheres my observer?" I finned over to thier boat and politely said to them this:

" Listen...I know it is considered foolish to do ANY sort of diving alone, but I know it is also not ILLEGAL...So, unfortunately I don't have an observer today...And sadly I hardly ever do...If I always went f'diving with an observer I'd never get to go...Thanks for your concern and I'll do my best to be safe officers."

They said "O.K. then...be safe" and slowly motored away after I finned away from the boat.

I was mostly spearfishing in less than 25 ft. of water near my anchored kayak with dive flag flying...I don't flaunt the fact that I'm spearing fish...But I did manage a bunch of bigger rock bass and some HUMONGOUS bullheads....All of witch I gave away to the little old lady who let me get access to her pier in Williams bay. She was delighted to have them!:t

I DO try to ALWAYS get SOMEONE to go with me...I've had SEVERAL blind dates roflwith people from DeeperBlue for spearfishing jaunts...I even post on here to try to get someone to go with...I have NEVER followed the protocall of one up one down the whole outing but I know we should. It seems that it's easy to get a false sense of security in clear shallow water. I consider shallow less than 30 feet......But I suppose there IS a reason they call it SHALLOW WATER BLACKOUT....:head

In light of recent freediving tragedies (D'mitri Vassilakis' death just the other day and Loic Leferme in April) I will try to do the one up one down thing everytime I go out with a partner...I think I may have been close to a SWB or a SAMBA a few weeks ago when I stupidly stayed down too long. I was polespearing and I was by myself...then I saw Moby Dick the Giant Crappie! I was toward the end of a breath hold but Moby gave me enough adrenalin to stay down considerably longer. Upon ascention I got a weird strong "buzzing feeling" that really scared me. I bet thats what happened to D'mitri - He probably saw "the big one" and SWB'd with no one around. ALWAYS come up when your body tells you to...Don't push it. Just a few extra seconds can kill you.

Getting a little freaked out feeling if you lose your up/down:confused::(orientation for a moment or two in murky water is weird too. Now I use a down line with a 15 pound anchor and a safe wrist tether that can come apart a three different spots via vecro...the carabiner...and a quick release buckle.
I'll even pull around a non-diving friend on my kayak or canoe if I can...I stay tehered to the kayak or canoe via a long float line...Atleast then MAYBE the guy in my kayak or canoe can hopefully retrieve me if I SWB or SAMBA. I first talk to them about this and also leave them my cell phone...I instruct them on what to do if something goes wrong!!!! Freaks 'em out a little but hey...Maybe they'll keep an eye out for me a little better then. Its better than nothing I suppose. So I do TRY to be somewhat safe.

I don't want to DIE...:hungoverBut neither does the heroin junkie or the race car driver...This IS an ADDICTION....Not just a passtime hobby...I'm sure MOST of us know that. The very recent death of D'mitri Vassilakis (freediving pro) was probably preventable...D'mitri was a seasoned veteran of freediving/spearing...He was out with TWO other guys at the time...they split up eventually....D'mitri was later found dead by his spearo buddies at 50 meters. Very sad for his family and friends...Especially the guys he was with...I'm sure they have that terrible"what if" feeling.

Loic Leferme died in april during training - he too was a pro...And a former World record holder in "no limits"...

I'm not trying to make you feel guilty or anything Jon...Please don't :naughty.
I was just hoping your class would make those in attendance a little bit safer about freediving and posibly improve our techniques a little. I hope I can meet you before spring and we can do some freespearing...If not...See you in class next spring for sure and also at the Palooza! :) I'm gonna start making all the "events" I possibly can.

WHOPPERHEAD: I scheduled Monday the 17th OFF so we can go Freespearing the outside wall @ SSYC...The perch will for sure be gone but the UPS trucks should still be there! Not to mention how cool it should be with all the Salmon around! We NEED to stay close to one another AND try our best to do the "one up one down" thing if doing long breatholds. I don't think the water gets much deeper than 26 feet or so around there. MSG me when the date gets closer...Anyone is welcome to join us!

P.S. Moby the Crappie is still swimming...Only now he's sporting a funny lookin' tail!

Last edited:
I'm interested if anything comes up. Seems we have 3 solid. Cigarlung expressed interest when I mentioned it at Devils Lake, I was hoping he would come on here and jump in. We could try moving it up a weekend or two? Sep 29/30 or Oct 6/7?

bgill, I'm looking at PFI in the spring as well. I concidered Cayman, since I've never gotten out of the US to dive. Miami would work too, it would be less expencive to get to, then I can go to my parents in Bradenton/Sarasota. I'd be interested in going at the same time you are. Let me know what dates your looking at.

Reguardless of a class or not, I want to get back up there for a dive. I don't like to dive alone. All the preaching we do to students I just don't feel right going out alone.

If we have six we can still do it this fall.

There are just so many unkonwns with freediving that there is simply no such thing as a safe solo freedive. I have hundreds of solo scuba dives under my belt and have never had an issue, but solo freediving is a whole different animal that doesn't follow the same rules- because there are no rules. What can be an easy dive one day can be leathal another- and there's no reason as to why.

The to most recent deaths are but a drop in the bucket for the yearly totals world wide- these are just so much more evident because of their experience. There have been other, Gene Higa comes to mind, who were also very good divers who died while spearing.

Maybe things will become safer in the future when the freedivers safety vest hits the market- or it might get worse because people will push themselves harder than they would have without it?

I think I have this weekend open if anyone wants to dive on Sunday.

Jon

I'm an absolute on the interest/ability to travel/have gear/money front.
I'm a maybe on the dates until they get locked in.

The first weekend that I'm free is October 20.

With that in mind, I have the surrounding days off too. I could drive up to Wazee and reserve campsites. I can seat four in my car plus gear and will happily give rides. I have some extra camping gear. Depending upon water temp: I have a 3mm and a 5mm that are Jon's size (as a point of reference). I'm going to take whichever I'll be most comfortable in and the other is up for grabs. I have an extra set of fins and some masks folks are welcome to use.

Wazee:
A bit further but cheap to stay and tons of diving. Weather plays less of a role.

Lake Michigan:
Closer but much more expensive to dive. Prone to getting blown out.

Let's do this!!!!!!
Somebody pick a date. If I'm in town, I'm in without hesitation!

After Oct 20th, Whopperhead has Nov 3/4. That seems like it is getting cold. I don't think I would be comfortable in a 3mm open cell. I plan to get a 5mm eventually. Maybe I should order a 5mm now anyway, it's getting late enough into the year. But boots are going to be a problem. Anything more that an 2 or 3mm and my fins won't fit.

Socks are something I do have extras of- both 3mm and 5mm. I should also have some extra gloves and mitts- just not too much in the way of an extra suit.

I also have extra lead, weightbelts, masks, snorkels, fins and monofins.

Tol, I think you'll be needing the 5mm after 5 months hanging out, and diving, in Utila- your blood has gone thin. ;)

I'm up for whatever weekend we can get 6 poeple to commit to. Wazee seems to be the best place to run this thing- cheap camping and a lake to ourselves. Even if it does have a ton of scuba divers there, which it won't, we can easily move to places that can't get to- becuase of their huge amount of gear.

I've got a couple of tents- one of which is a two room monster that could double as a classroom if it snows.rofl

Jon

Tol, I think you'll be needing the 5mm after 5 months hanging out, and diving, in Utila- your blood has gone thin. ;)

Jon

Fact #1
Between all things (the little bit of diving I get to do, swimming with the pup, snorkeling with visitors,etc) and counting days I'm too busy and never get out of the house, I average about 3 hours/day in the water. Day before yesterday I was out on the reef for almost 8 hours.
Fact #2
I wear nothing but board shorts and a mask. I rarely even wear fins.
Fact #3
I was complaining a couple of days ago because the water was dang cold. A friend's computer said 88 degrees.
Fact #4
Yesterday I went out and remarked that the water was back to normal. The computer said 92 degrees.

Presumption #1
Jon is right.

TOL,

Time to suck on some ice cubes & bring you back to reality! rofl

I'm about 80% sure I can make it on Oct 13/14...I'll have to check with the boss. :)

Gene

I just sent cigarlung a PM asking if he's interested in the 13th/14th. Looks like he would make 5. Maytag, I'd stop and pick you up if need be! I feel like a telethon. Let's get these forum posts rolling folks, call up your friends, we need just 2 more people to make this class a go. Whataya say folks? Look into the face of these poor lonely divers desperate for training!

Ok, that's all I got. I did change my order from a 3mm to a 5mm and I'll just get a 3mm next year.

I'm also wanting to dive on the weekend of the 22nd if anyone is going out. Sat would be best for me with travel and all.

All I need to get is a hood & gloves...I can pick them up next time I go to Great Lakes Diver's Supply...Actually its in a guys basement....He's really a cool guy. Runs scuba classes outta his pool in his back yard.

My fins are pretty snug...I'll just have COLD feet! I don't know if I could squeeze in with a 3 mil sock.

:) I need to know if a date gets "locked in" so I can schedule myself off from work...Sometimes my lead time for work is 3 weeks! I LIKE to take fridays off! But now that I'm taking care of the office AND the labor I actually have LESS time to screw around than usual...

:inlove I already miss my wife & little boy! (they are BOTH in South Africa right now comforting a very sick Oupa (My son's Grandpa & Wife's Dad) :inlove

Like I said earlier in this thread (post #28) I have an EMPTY house for 6 weeks and a 7 passenger mini van at my disposal (wifes van!)!!! Need a flop or a ride I'm the guy. I'll go anywhere in Wisconsin for the class no problem.

Last edited:
Bgill - to go without socks in cold water is Crazy! you'll last 1/2 hour. Especially when you hit the thermocline. my fins are tight - but I squeeze my feet into them- if you don't make it to the shop- and we do have a class on the 13/14 - I have 2 extra hoods and a extra pair of 3mm gloves or a pair 5mm gloves- either one- I will also have an extra pair of socks- so if you change your mind or go into hypothermia. The 17th looks promising- a little rain on Friday but, good till Monday. Can't wait!

Is it safe to assume that weekdays are out for most/all?

So true Gene, so true....I'll be honest, I'm not looking forward to wearing a suit one bit.

Oh dang, the 13th huh? I'll be in TN :(

Bgill,

I know that guy your talking about and you would be MUCH better off ordering on-line through one of the vendors that actually knows something about freediving. You could try Pirate scuba, Jimdoe2you, scubastore, or anyone else that actually knows something about the sport.

No use in wasting money on gear that's not meant for what your doing- I've been down that route.:head

Jon

HEY, HEY, HEY, the boss said I'm a GO!

Do I make the 6th, or was I counted in earlier?

Dates are pretty open for me...like I said, 10/13-14 works, but I'm open just about any weekend you would pick right up to Thanksgiving.

Jon, why don't you post who you have confirmed and the date that would work best for you.

Gene

By my count we are sitting at 4. bgill, pinggene, whopperhead and myself.

Maytag, Fleshy, Tol and Douglas each have expressed interest. And cigarlung seemed interested when I mentioned it to him last Sat. We just need 2 more to come out. Not sure the status of Fleshy or Douglas. Maytag is "busy" *shakes head* :). Tol is not available on the weekend we have discussed.

On the list of dates Whopperhead threw out, the next date would be Nov. I'm not sure how hip to that I will be. I will have a 5mm suit, but 2mm booties and gloves. Gloves I can get thicker, but booties, my fins are 46-48 Omer's and they almost fit me with nothing on my feet. I'm hoping they work with the 2mm socks I'm getting! I'm also not sure how warm the 2mm will or won't keep me. I'm pretty tolerant of cold and actually overheat pretty easy.

Doug had to back out- unexpected car issues.:head Maytag is pretty busy, and needs a cold water suit. Tol won't quite be back from Utila, and if he is will probably need to do the course in a drysuit. rofl

2mm gloves and socks is pretty skimpy that time of year. If your in a real freediving wetsuit 5mm will be more than enough, but if your in a surf, or scuba, wetsuit you'll be cold even if it's 7mm. Scuba wetsuits just aren't the same animal as a freediving wetsuit- and most scuba divers don't have a clue as to why.:head

Spring is always an option.

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT