• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea, Suicide and Depression

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Have you experienced an adverse psychological effect after apnea?

• Yes, always

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Yes, ocassionally

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Yes, once

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • No

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • No, Apnea makes me feel great!

Votes: 80 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
bueyvaca beach . matanzas ,cuba

here I think I almost die when a portuges man of war stick in my back .. I was taken to the Hospital that was near there..I never forget that day what a pain ..

Attachments

• playa bueyvaca.jpg
    playa bueyvaca.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love to freedive in cuba sometime. It looks fantastic!

in the first pic from the bay of matanzas I lived right left side in a barrio call versalles .. pipin lived in the other side in a barrio call la playa .. there where a controversy betwen us about who was the better spearfisher in town ...we believed that people from versalles where the best.

Last edited:
neshamah;640908 amigo more thant fantastic.. I whish I can comunitate better in English .. .[/QUOTE said:
Daniel your Engish is MUCH better than a few years ago. And thats a nice story above that you wrote.

Daniel your Engish is MUCH better than a few years ago. And thats a nice story above that you wrote
____

Thank you Eric.. the problem is with the writing ... I want to put all the idea togheter but something is not esay .. It depend of the day hahah

wait for the next story

bueyvaca beach . matanzas ,cuba

here I think I almost die when a portuges man of war stick in my back .. I was taken to the Hospital that was near there..I never forget that day what a pain ..

uhh... that's a nice spot. what happened with the portuguese man o' war? bluebottles are the worst at the best of times.

uhh... that's a nice spot. what happened with the portuguese man o' war? bluebottles are the worst at the best of times.
______

well. maybe was a bluebottler... what is a is that ??

I was like 80 meters from the shore.. I almost couldn' make it to the shore..I was swimming fast ...and the pain was getting biger biger.. I couldn't breaht... thanks that friend of mine that was standing in the rock you see in the pics.. .. He took my equipment rapidly and I run to the road.. there a military car past by and took me to a military hospital near there.... I remember the doctor telling me .. hey do you know something..in the same bed you are righ now we put a guy.. a russian guy taller than you with the same problems... well. later in the afternoon I was able to go home... the next day I still have red the mark in my back

Last edited:
Bluebottles and Portugese Man-o-war are one and the same. There are tons in Australia in summer, i've been stung twice. The first when I was a teenager around my legs. The second was a couple of years ago freediving, I took my snorkel out to say something and one floated past, I got it in the mouth, tongue, lips and face, probably the worst pain i've ever had. Worse was the next day when the swelling started, it was about 3 months before I looked normal again.

But normal is relative... :D

Neshamah,

Just a small request for an act of kindness: would you mind changing that annoying, agitating alarm clock of an avatar? :rcard It really distracts and irritates. I am sure your intention is not to inflict discomfort on your brothers. † Thanks.

In His Peace,
Glen

I've yet to feel any negative effects from apnea. I haven't had any suicidal thoughts while diving- or otherwise.

I have known some tech divers with these isssues and simpy choose not to dive with them- over fear that they would want a partner in their quest!;)

The only 'negative' thing I can relate to the sport came a few years ago after my Grandfather died. My father had died at a young age and my Grandfather and I became pretty close- seems he lost his father at a young age as well.

Anyway, after he died I was so shaken up that I couldn't even do a 20 second breathhold for at least a week. Eventually the things passed and I was able to get back into the water again- he didn't die in the water or anything I was just so shaken up be his passing I couldn't contemplate a breath hold dive.

I had no problems running, biking, or swimming. Anything that involved breathing, no matter how fast or hard, was just fine. As a matter of fact it seemed to help deal with the loss by going for a good heart-pounding run.

Maybe Eric, or someone else, might have an explaination why such strong feelings of grief would respond positively to aerobic exercise, but completely hobble my apnea abilities?

Jon

first of all: I wrote about two pages, then it disappeared. :(
Now, I try to retype it..

So, breathing is a very important thing. Not only physically, but also mentally and spriitually. Breathing is the connection between you and the whole wolrd. When you breath, it is not only air what you take and blow, but it is also energy, so called ki, the life itself.

When you stop breathing, you disconnect yourself from this flow of energy, you close yourself from the rest of the world. It is like a little death (life is changing, flowing, the stop of movement, stop of flow is rather like the opposite) That is why breathhold is connected to death in some level.

Jon, that could have been the reason, why you could not do breathhold then. You avoided (denied?) everything, which in that tiny-tiny bit connected to death as breathhold could be (because what I wrote).

So there is the question, of why we feel that peace and good feelings still, when doing breathhol? Man would think, if you are teared of this cycle of life, you would feel bad. And that is true. It is paralelly also true, that when a freediver do a breathhold (static or anything else), it is a good thing - as we experience it.

So what is the difference between the two kind of breathhold?

Based upon my dives, when I do the preparation, the breath up, it is not only air, O2, but also energy what I filled up with. Then when totally full, I start the dive, I stop breathing close myself. Usually I also close my eyes (static). I separate myself from the world, using the energy I conserved, and start a journey into myself. I'm aware of the outer world, but it is like meditation. Not the same kind of what priests do, what in the martial arts. Because there the breathing is the basic element of the activity. No, breathhold meditation is a different one.

The struggling phase is of course an other thing. :)

I send it before it disappear. :)

Hello!
I'll get back to the subject, if you don't mind! :t
very interesting by the way...

Freediving gives you wonderful sensations and feelings, makes you feel great! But what of coming back into "the real world"?? I noticed that for myself: when I go freediving for a week, life is beautiful and some of my negative living patterns are just gone... then back home, away from the sea, there is always a time of "coming down" from it, worse than just regretting the good holiday time. It can also happen after a successful training session in the pool... I'm lucky enough to be able to accept it and manage it somehow...
I guess this is also a point to consider: freediving, like other extreme sports, gives you thrills you don't experience in everyday life. Some vulnerable people might get addicted to these thrills and strong feelings, wanting to keep them permanent... because they can't manage the "down" after the "high", leading to death in some cases, doing what they are addicted to, wether it's intentional or not.

Anyway, just a thought...
All of you take care! :)
Best regards,
Micky

I noticed that for myself: when I go freediving for a week, life is beautiful and some of my negative living patterns are just gone... then back home, away from the sea, there is always a time of "coming down" from it, worse than just regretting the good holiday time. It can also happen after a successful training session in the pool... I'm lucky enough to be able to accept it and manage it somehow...

That's interesting - someone else mentioned something similar (Wes?) I wonder if it has anything in common with post-marathon depression?

So there is the question, of why we feel that peace and good feelings still, when doing breathhol? Man would think, if you are teared of this cycle of life, you would feel bad. And that is true. It is paralelly also true, that when a freediver do a breathhold (static or anything else), it is a good thing - as we experience it.

So what is the difference between the two kind of breathhold?

normal breathing we can find yourselfs thinking and worry .. and when doing breathold we are thinking about how to keep your body and mind relax .. now the problem is not to your our mind empty.. but feel our mind with good thinking

I think depression is like flat tyre ..we feel bad when this happen to our car ect .. but when we put some new air to it ... we start feeling good again ...the same happen when we do breathing exercises we are pushing oxigen to our mind.. that's why we experiences that good feeling

Last edited:
I wonder if it has anything in common with post-marathon depression?

And the "runner's high" during the run, caused by release of endorphins. I
found this article on the web.

At the end it says: "So, if you are an athlete, mother to be or just a person who sometimes steps over the edge, give thanks to your friendly endorphins, which will not only reduce the pain but will also provide you with a euphoric high. But remember that everything that becomes pleasurable may tempt you to do it again. So, continue to enjoy your endorphins, but beware that an endorphin addiction can sometimes lead to other more daring escapades."

By the way, the "endorphin addiction" concept is subject to controversy among scientists.
Does anyone know about endorphins and freediving?? That could be some interesting topic around the subject :)

I've noticed a difference in endorphin levels between aerobic workouts and apnea workouts. After a hard aerobic 45 minute workout(2500 yards or so), I maintain a drugged high for several hours, lots of endorphins, maybe not addictive, but very pleasant. After the same time in an apnea workout with more breathhold than exertion, I'm just bone tired, no high, no noticable endorphins. My legs will be burnt, even though I did not swim more than a 5-600 hundred yards.

Connor

After diving, I feel totally relaxed, peaceful and horny. Many times i feel high after diving, specially after deeper or longer dives. The next day I'm still high and funky, feeling really really good, but then my mood can crash one day later, when the endorphines are gone.

Yep and that's about it for me...

I have a cold and can't dive! Now thats depressing!

Horny? is that why they call you Chiefkock?

Last edited:
Hey shoutatthesky
I've got a cold/flu death virus as well and it blows geese. The fact that I wont be able to dive this weekend when weather and sea predictions look favourable is real depressing. especially since diving has been crap for the last month and a half-when I was feeling like a lean mean diving machine. So yes, not being able to freedive when conditions are perfect may result in severe depression; the destruction of many fluffy chew toys; alcoholism; or even suicide in severe cases.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT