• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Apnea Training Conference 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I took the missus to Venice a month ago... the wallet still hasn't forgiven me! I'd love to go to the conference, but any mention of the V word in our house will end up costing me another fortune...
Ahh - but Ben it isn't in Venice - that's only a transit airport :martial
Cambo said:
Stephan, Yep... count me in to share the car hire (at least for the Venice to Apnea Academy leg). My flight also arrives at 18.50 into Venice on Friday 30/11.
Ok - drop me a PM and we can discuss the details!

Stephan, Yep... count me in to share the car hire (at least for the Venice to Apnea Academy leg). My flight also arrives at 18.50 into Venice on Friday 30/11.
Right - looks like i'm not going to be flying in now till Saturday morning due to a conflict with another conference. Ian - best you sort yourself out for the time being.

Ah that's right... memory like a sieve! I guess I figured that Dahab was as far from Venice as you could get :D

OK, no worries, I was planning to brave the public transport system from Venice.

i'am arriving at the same hour/day. At the conference site, they talk about a bus but I think it's just for the next summer season. anyway my italian sucks. maybe I misread it.
mario

I will donate my camcorder for some one to tape it for me. Can't go, real world is getting in the way!

Reactions: BennyB
It was excellent - very well organised. About 600 people came from 24 countries (although 95% were Italian). 300 people were on the waiting list according to Umberto.

Will be posting an article and photos later in the week.

Yes, the event was outstanding. A rare opportunity to meet so many elite trainers and athletes - all in the one place. Lots of informative and interesting presentations & also an excellent opportunity to meet other divers. It was a great experience.

Kirk Krack posted a very detailed report on the freedivecanada list.

It just seemed to confirm that the Italians are way behind the rest of the world.

As an event it was excellent. Well organized, very nice to see so many divers from so many backgrounds come together...

As far as the science goes, well, I'll have to say that there was very little actually new information. It was good basic stuff for beginner to medium level, but some of the stuff was just not very ground breaking. It is important to understand tough, that not every presentation was there for the reason of being ground breaking, but some are more or less "honorary", just to give the event some publicity and credibility. I guess the most talked about was Dr. Balestras presentation - and also maybe the most misunderstood since it contained that magic word "EPO" and that sparks peoples emotions usually into a bit too high gear. What he actually suggested IMO was more or less just an observation from a group of freedivers and explanation to what might cause it - not encouraging people to dope. But some choose interpret it that way anyway. Unfortunately he ran out of time before getting to the (to me) more interesting part about narcosis and I really didn't catch what he was suggesting, except if I understood correctly he was of the opinnion that narcosis for freediving is a bit misunderstood and much of the subjective feeling of narcosis could be relieved via sinus/ear flooding. But it is better I don't pretend to know more about that than I do, because these ideas are quite advanced and I would think dangerous if taken out of context - better the interested parties read that them selves.

There was a lot of presentations about specific training regimens, but I just found that a little overwhelming to follow. Countless tables, plans, microcycles, macrocycles, graphs - and in the end the message was pretty much "no one really knows how to train properly". Or as I translated it "how to train is pretty much dependant on what ever the current maturity and status of the individual athlete is" - which is something that I already knew. But I did pick up a few good ideas that might be useful.

For me the best parts were the presentation from the athletes. They were all excellent. Martin's was good, but I already heard the same thing in the summer pretty much so for me not much new, but I hope those who didn't already know that were listening. Herbert was of course good and created a lot of discussion...

But what I really, REALLY enjoyed was Patrick Musimu and Carlos Coste. They both talked a lot about psychological things, maturing as a diver, personal experiences and even touching on morality and ethics. Both were very inspiring. Patricks story really makes sense when he puts it that way and in personal perspective. If you just focus on the tidbits in the internet and numbers (like I have), it is a completely different thing. My respect for him just went through the roof. His video also got the biggest applause in the crowd and I think for good reasons. I was very emotional to watch. Of course that will depend a lot on the person watching, but at least for me most of the things resonated well. Others might find some even cheesy, but it depends a lot on your personal value systems etc and for me it made lots of sense in my current life situation. Maybe a few years ago, I would've thought different...

Incidentally, he did mention a few interesting remarks:
-He's done chasing world records (and seemed to be at great peace with him self and with that decision)
-His personal best in delaying the first contraction in static is over 6:30 (which is something he is currently researching) and over 8:30 in total time. Should be interesting what ever he finds out.
-He might be running clinics next year to teach the "air cavity flooding" technique he used in his record - if they decide it is "ethical" - which they still have to research a bit more. But it was interesting to hear that the researches and physicians were all quite surprised to NOT find any problems in terms of infections. They were really expecting him to have problems, but there was no signs of contamination. But they did stress that this might be an individual property and should not be taken as proof that the technique is safe for anyone (ie. some people are more prone to catch a cold than others - and could be more prone to infections with sinusflooding than others)

Food was excellent and there was plenty of it - my kind of conference :)

Oh, and C4 had brought on display a weird monofin, which was more or less 2 mustangs fused together (mustang footpockets and a long and narrow blade). I was only able to try it for a short time, but there was no immidiate "wow" effect. It does carry you forward, but nothing revolutional. Although I feel that it is unfair to judge it with such short trial - probably the thing needs a completely different technique than what we're used to with traditional monofins to be efficient.

Last edited:
From my point of view I liked it! First of all it was nice to see so much people intrested in apnea in one place.
(Last few years apnea became very popular in Italy)
Nice move of Umberto to organize event like that and invite aida representatives (and cmas) in one place.
About the content...the concept was good
1.part -scientific aproach (doctors corner:)
2. part - basic fisical preparation
3. part - specific training for apnea

Don't want to give coments about each one of these...some of the things said there were kind of old...with someones I don't agree, someones where very interesting.
It was a nice usefull event. the only thing that was missing was the final party :)
Was nice to see you all there !
Regards Lidija

Yep your right on the Lidija, would have been nice with a closing-party.

So how's you equalising lessons going, are you still working one it all thru the night, Kimmo was very proud of he's only student......:t

Cheers
Daniel

btw. can I have a copy of the photos you took in the pool, the one's you took of Martin with the C4 ???

...It was a nice usefull event. the only thing that was missing was the final party :)
Was nice to see you all there !
Regards Lidija

Yep your right on the Lidija, would have been nice with a closing-party.

So how's you equalising lessons going, are you still working one it all thru the night, Kimmo was very proud of he's only student......:t

Cheers
Daniel

btw. can I have a copy of the photos you took in the pool, the one's you took of Martin with the C4 ???

Heila!
Well I don't want to disapoint the teacher! I've just started with a new techinqe...we'll see! Hope to make the teacher proud! Maybe if it will work I'll try it on that island competition of yours :t If you warm up the Sea a litlle bit...But if it doesn't function, I'll find the teacher and :ko

Martins photo with c4? hm...you acctually can't see the fins on the photo..i've focused on sth else:) But can send you, no problem!
Send me your email.

Hmmm...little extra trick, only for you Lidija, that knock out seemed me a pretty frightening :)

I figured out couple of years back that a little hypoxia widens most of the cavities. Including nose etc. This can be also felt while it happens. So if your (left ear?) problem may be related with a little tight eustachian tube u can try this: do a little hyperventilation (empty lung breath holding does not always feel nice without it), then total exhale and wait (O2 level drops quickly). If you are sharp you can feel when sinuses etc expand. Then try your equalization. Maybe works maybe not. Most of the people has been succeed with their equalization after that trick. :)

- kimmo

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT