• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Beginner thoughts on "moving" apnea tables

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Frenzyfinder

May 11, 2016
I scourged the web for information and opinion on static and dynamic apnea table training. Most are here or there, yet I did see the recommendation of taking 'Static' apnea tables as a sort of tool to accompany dynamic (in water) training. So far I have not got my feet wet freediving, and continue static apnea tables on my couch.
I would like to note that I started 3 weeks ago improving my max hold from 60 to 120 seconds.

Today I reduced my max hold to 60 seconds, along with all other set holds, for "moving" apnea tables. By moving, I mean playing with my dog in the grass or just walking. Well, so far I have found it is folds over more difficult to resist the urge to breath while exerting energy. I expected this, as spearos who take 1.5 min dives could hold 4 min static. To say the least I sort of got disheartended I was only holding (barley) 30 second holds while moving. Soon after I quit in the middle of a table and finished the day with static holds.

I do see an improvement over 3 weeks with my static tables, yet can't gauge if and how my moving/dynamic holds come to be. I'll keep posted how it's going.

You could also do this exercise.

Stand on your feet and do a breath up. Then do small squads for 15 seconds, then stand still for 15 seconds and then small squads for 30 sec. That way it looks a bit like a dive with freefall. Just set a timer so you can check the time but also so you can check your improvement over a longer period (week/month) I kinda like the exercise :)

You could also do this exercise.

Stand on your feet and do a breath up. Then do small squads for 15 seconds, then stand still for 15 seconds and then small squads for 30 sec. That way it looks a bit like a dive with freefall. Just set a timer so you can check the time but also so you can check your improvement over a longer period (week/month) I kinda like the exercise :)
I like this suggestion. I will try it out today and let you know how it goes.

Frenzy, keep in mind that freediving is best done as a "relaxed" activity. Your best dives are the ones that are the most relaxed, with a minimum of motion and when you move the movements are as efficient as possible. So when you are doing "apnea walking" exercises or playing with your dog in the yard you may be actually using more energy than a real dive would require - also you are fighting gravity, whereas in a dive you are weightless. All this is just to say don't get discouraged just because you can't hold your breath in a dive as long as your static personal best. One of my favorite training I do in the pool is to do very slow dynamics - not looking for distance but for maximum time underwater - Stroke, drift, drift, drift, drit, drift, Stroke, drift, drift, drift... very relaxing and I can stay down a good long time.

Frenzy, keep in mind that freediving is best done as a "relaxed"... ...maximum time underwater - Stroke, drift, drift, drift, drit, drift, Stroke, drift, drift, drift...

I will defiantly keep this in mind for the aqueous situations.

Thank you for the confidence boost. It was just quite astonishing to see how quickly I progressed through hypercapnic levels. I'm assuming that it is not hypoxia as there was no burning sensation in my tissues.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hi all just an update. I'm about 4 weeks into my practice with static and dynamic tables.

Someone mentioned that I was probably expending alot more energy with the dog than just walking. As of now I am doing "Apnea Squats" along with a "Static table" every other day. The time I am in the gym during the week, I will start with "Dynamic O2" on the elliptical machine with constant exercise on both breath up and hold. I will then lift moderate weights and complete a table of "Dynamic CO2" on a stationary bike. I began "Dry Dynamic" training after achieving a "Static" 2 minute breath hold 2 weeks into training.

I'd like to note again to any beginners that relaxation of body/mind and breath control are the most key parts in achieving better times. I recommend you only use my tables as a reference considering everyone pushes and breaks through their limits differently through practice.

The sort of table is written (tiny) on the top of the tables.

6.13 apnea table.jpg

Reactions: Jo_duiker
Interesting stuff. I must say: one minute of squats I find that impressive. I have trouble to do even 30 seconds, let alone do it several times in a dynamic CO2 table... :-/
How fast/deep do you squat? Do you squat really until your thighs are at least parallel to the floor, or do you squat to "halfway"? And the frequency: one per second, one per 2 seconds? Faster, slower?

1 Minute squad is indeed impressive. I would stick to movements closest to your freediving. So just gentle half squads which shouldn't take too much effort.

CO2 tables I am doing now are '1 breath tables' and '1 recovery breath' tables. to build up a lot of co2 and it doesn't take as much time as "full co2 talbes"

1 breath: normal breath up followed by 1:15 hold --> 1 exhale+ 1 full inhale --> 1:15 hold etc etc. normally 8 reps max.

1 recovery: (slightly different start)
normal breath up --> 2:30 hold --> 1 recovery breath (exhale - full inhale - 2 sec hold - passive exhale - full inhale) --> 1 min hold --> 1 recovery breath etc etc. (8 reps max)

I'll receive an oximeter soon, see if it is usefull for dry training.

Reactions: Jo_duiker
About the "half squats": that's what I thought.

The one breath CO2 table with 1:15 breathhold: is that static or dynamic (walking)? If it's dynamic, I'll have to lower the breathhold time. Even if it's static. I can't even make 1:00 twice or three times with only one breath in between, let alone 8... Pfff... :)

one breath and the recovery breath are both CO2 static tables. I started the 1 breath with 30 sec and slowly build it up. I like them because you can still do you c02 'workout' and only spend a few minutes at it rather than 20-30 min with a standard table.
Give it a shot and you will see the improvement in time.

Interesting stuff. I must say: one minute of squats I find that impressive. I have trouble to do even 30 seconds, let alone do it several times in a dynamic CO2 table... :-/
How fast/deep do you squat? Do you squat really until your thighs are at least parallel to the floor, or do you squat to "halfway"? And the frequency: one per second, one per 2 seconds? Faster, slower?

I'll mention that I am breaking a sweat indoors after getting halfway through the Squat tables. Usually I hold about 15 seconds just standing then proceed to squat remainder of time. My squats would be considered "half squats" doing them about every second. I do them methodically and do not "shoot up" to keep myself relaxed as possible.

The table with 1:15 hold is my O2 dynamic done on an elliptical machine btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one breath and the recovery breath are both CO2 static tables. I started the 1 breath with 30 sec and slowly build it up. I like them because you can still do you c02 'workout' and only spend a few minutes at it rather than 20-30 min with a standard table.
Give it a shot and you will see the improvement in time.

Currently I only do one O2 static table after my squat table. It's more of a recovery table to push my mental aptitude. Other than that I am in the gym. I find doing my CO2 dynamic tables on the stationary bike after lifting weights to be extremely challenging , as much CO2 has been built up into my body.

I have not read about the "one recovery breath" style tables and will try it out soon. I have sort of veered away from static tables at this point in practice. I find that the dynamic workouts are helping with my statics by great means.

I want to also throw out there that I went into the Gym yesterday and someone left the AC on or something. My dynamic workouts defiantly seemed a lot more difficult to do. I later read up a SCUBA article that ,as divers or even free divers , we want to keep the temperature of the environment as close to our own body temperature. That way our bodies are not expensing energy trying to heat up or cool down to a proper level.

I'll be getting my feet wet in the ocean a few times in the coming weeks and let you know guys know how my dynamic training is applying to the wet stuff. :)

Happy Training!!!! Stay RELAXED

Haven't updated this awhile sorry guys..

Anyways it looks to be about a little over half month. I've been continuing the exercises posted for avg twice a week and have been snorkeling/diving in the shallows offshore beach.

I would say that static tables are there to help you understand at points what you're body is actually telling you. I feel like all my walking/moving apnea (mostly elliptical machine) training has been to break barriers.

At this point I can safely and consistently hold 50-60 second sets on the elliptical and more on the stationary bike. I'm still adapting to equalizing and diving/drifting the max to get more bottom time. I can swim around for about 30 seconds. I find myself constantly swimming to hold myself under 10ft of water because I don't have a weight belt.

I'm going to put more practice in on the elliptical, not going to raise my set times but try to keep my heart rate more steady/breathing. I'm sure I'll find diving and staying down a lot easier with a belt on.

Cheers. And feel free to share any insight/questions

I would like to add this app as well:

Unaerobic Plus

it is a paid version, but the only freedive app that you can use with a heart rate band. I do love the combination to see how your heart reacts to your breath hold and even more important, to your breath up.

Reactions: Morgan Storm
I got the app STAmina. Great looking interface, CO2, O2 and mixed tables, easy to use. I recommend it. :)

Greetings

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT