• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Branko Petrovic 9:20 STA

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Wow, that's another miracle coming from the unknown deep!

Not that I would be able to pull off the mental aspect, but would you like to share with us mortals what you think is has taught you these amazing skills?

Secondary how does a 10 minute static feel minute by minute?
What did you learn going from 7'12 to 10'? is it just a getting used to? or does it involve some deeper understanding?

It's great to have you on board, and I wish you all the success getting your sponsor and achieving your goals!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Last edited:
Congratulations Branko!

It's amazing...I'm speechless..
Can You tell, are You doing any warmup holds before static? Or first static is Your maximum? If so, when You get first contractions? how do You breathe before?

regards
Matt

vedrana, told me few things which really gave me each one minute! I wont say it, because it is her job and she is a professional coach! I hope you understand! first contraction was at 7:45 first strong! I have high tolerance to co2 because of fishing! but it is dangerous because it happens to me to have a bleck out few seconds after first contraction.

There are some rumors, that I heard. yes I was in hospital and I was geting medications. which I don't know! That was from 13.01-20.2 i think. problem was something with my neck i was waring that thing around the neck. yes I found the box it was Berlitiontion tioktinska kiselina 300mg. or thioctic acid. used it for two weeks ater I got out. (Just called doctor, he said it regenerates nerve cells, read on internet if you want) I do not know for any medication that stays in body for 4 months. even if there is, i will go to doctor and ask him, for document which will demand this all. If these medications were god for static why I didn't do best time just after the hospital? the person which is spreading this is member of this forum as well as Croatian one podvodni.com. and I am asking him to come to Serbia, compete with me and then do drug test both of us! This is bad way to destroyd my atempt to get sponshorship!
No I am NOT taking any drug! which I plan to prove! my mail is brankoscg@yahoo.com
you can send me where and which test to do in Serbia and I will do this. If doctors decide to give me something again I will let you know, because I plan to go to world championship :) and just to say one more thing I am going to sea where I will not have internet.
It is all over again, same story was with Sietas when did 9:03.
if anybody has any question l'll be able to answer in next two hours. thanks for leting me know about the rumors :) Please someone to translate this: za dobrim konjem prasina se dize! I 'll be on the scene for a long time I am just 25. so you will all have a lot of time to see me and meet me :)

with drugs or without drugs impressive ;)
but u are more interested in the kind of diving and training that u use
myself not for the impressive feat but by small amount of contractions that u got!!!
most of us even those who compete love recreacional diving and we like to know everything that could improve or recreational/competitive freediving

Keep training and good luck with your health

it was Berlitiontion tioktinska kiselina 300mg. or thioctic acid. used it for two weeks ater I got out. (Just called doctor, he said it regenerates nerve cells, read on internet if you want)

also called Alpha-lipoic acid, nothing special - found in normal food and supplements.

Thanks for the details, Branko! Berlition is an antioxidant used for the cure of brain ischemia ("antioxidant preparation containing alpha-lipoic acid, used in the neuroprotective therapy of chronic brain ischemia for correction of free-radical processes"). It could be indeed of a great interest for apnea, but I strongly doubt it could have any effect after a longer period (I am not an expert, though). Just to exclude any further rumours, is there no other medication you use regularly?

Edit: BTW, Branko, I think you are wrong with your suspicion about the Croatian member of this forum. But regardless of it, it is very welcome you decided speaking about it openly.

Last edited:
Congrats Branko! and interesting thread... 1st contraction at 7.45!!! wow

did u do any warm up dives?

see, my best time was once 8:01, that was two years ago. since then I didn't practice but I was spearfishing 6 months per year. and doing 7 min always. I asked Vedrana to help me and she did. she wrote me what to I do, and tell her effect. this way my static increased rapidly! from 7+ to 9+
plus I think it is genetic, my younger sister when she was 16 did first time in her life 5:24. now you want me she is on drugs too??? come on! once i did EKG in static holding breath, doctores were in shock because they said my heart is not pumping normal. they said that is like I am in coma..... maybe that's why i don't get contractions. you can ask compettitors from Croatia, Montenegro, anyone! the all saw my late contraction. there are few tricks that increase apnea rapidly! maybe I got some of them, now I begin to understand how Mifsud did 11:35.
about Croatian apneist who spread this, i think I am right because I heard that before you send me messeage.
It's ok with me, accuse me people did same to Sietas remember! every promotion is good promotion right ;) if someone want's me to get tested I will but he will hawe to say where and pay. if AIDA officially wants, , here I am again! Ready to get tested! but this is good I just got motivated to go for Mifsud time :) now I am officialy third ewer, can you imagine what would happen if I do new WR one day? I hope I cleaned my name, now, I didn't get even diploma for record and there are people that do not know me talking bad things about me. It's just wrong :-(

Branko, I did not hear about anyone accusing you of cheating. And I do not believe it myself either. But I heard you may be using other medications, than the Berlition you mentioned earlier. From what I heard, none of the drugs (neither Berlition, nor the other one) are on the WADA list of banned substances, so nobody needs to worry that you violated any rules, but I think it is in the interest of the sport to make it clear what medications you use and in which doses. On the other hand, discussing it publicly may violate your privacy, and I'd understand if you did not want to discuss it publicly. Perhaps speaking to Dr. Potkin, who is on the science commission of AIDA international would not be a bad idea - I think only experts like himself can look at it objectively and inform then the community without violating your privacy.

Hi Branko,

First of all, congratulations. The explanation of your spearfishing dives immediately confirms that you are the 'real deal.' Mifsud, of course, cannot dive nearly as long as you, because his maximum real static is only 8'28".

Do not worry about beating 11'35". You probably won't have to. There is a good chance the rules are going to change for static next year, and the records will start over from 0'00". Then you will be the new world record holder even with 9'30".

What kind of surface intervals do you take between your deep/long spearfishing dives? i.e., you say you do a 6 minute dive with 3-4 minutes waiting on the bottom at 15m, then how many minutes in between dives, and how many hours of diving per day? Do you do packing for spearfishing? Packing for static? Do you know your lung volume? Body mass?

Also Branko, what is the water temperature where you spearfish? Even in a 7.5mm suit, I get cold in 2 hours when I do very long dives...

Branko, you're 'new' and you should not need to worry about this 'drug-question' having a clean conscious.
Focus on the things you want to.

Maybe you want a book about your spearfishing and freediving life and abilities?

Talking about your heart control, do you think such things can be learned by most people?

Contractions at 7'45" sound really amazing to me. I usually have soft ones at 2'30", even though I can hold out to 7'.
I did have a special static, where involuntary swallowing due to an terrible itch in my throat, in combination with a retreat and focus on a place in my mind resulted in the most amazing experience of no contractions, doing a personal best of 6'45". Extending the comfort zone to 5' would already be amazing.
Watching my heart-rate, it falls down to ~33 bpm when the contractions start. After this the HR linearly climbs to 36 at ~5'40". - I haven't done any longer statics with a HR monitor on. I wonder what happens in your dives?

LOL Branko is facing an avalanche of questions!

Last edited:
Do not worry about beating 11'35". You probably won't have to. There is a good chance the rules are going to change for static next year, and the records will start over from 0'00". Then you will be the new world record holder even with 9'30".

That's quite interesting! What kind of rules changes do you mean? I can imagine that there will be a huge change, to start over the records.

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I think it's a very interesting info for everyone!

My suggestion (again) is that AIDA dismisses the separate record attempts.
It won't change much - you can always stage a mini-competition with 2-3 friends, so I do not think it would help.

Eric suggested earlier using air analyzer, and some other measures. I suggested banning the use of a mask (it represents additional volume of air, and permits easy cheating). AIDA currently investigate the possibility of extending the list banned substances, since the currently used WADA list does not include many substances quite interesting in freediving, but useless in other sports.

However, I am not sure whether we'll see any change and any restarting of records any soon - so far most of the requests for changes did not stir any big discussion, and I am not aware of the Board preparing any such changes (except of investigating the anti-doping policies, which was on their program since the beginning of 2010)

I just got back from sea. lung capacity wih out packing about 9l. 193cm and 73kg. packing only for static, and a lot! takes me 40 sec to fully pack!
now was really cold like 15c. longest dives were 6min. on the surface i need to be like 4 min for that. but for 3min waiting, i need like 1min. these days I was hunting up to 9 hours per day.
how you mean that mifsud real static is 8+ he did officially over 11! :/

I just got back from sea. lung capacity wih out packing about 9l. 193cm and 73kg. packing only for static, and a lot! takes me 40 sec to fully pack!
now was really cold like 15c. longest dives were 6min. on the surface i need to be like 4 min for that. but for 3min waiting, i need like 1min. these days I was hunting up to 9 hours per day.
how you mean that mifsud real static is 8+ he did officially over 11! :/

Mifsud 8+ without oxygen, 11+ with oxygen... officially. That's why the rules will change, to use a PO2 sensor to prevent that. It's not surprising, Mifsud did 8:01, 8:02, 8:28 in competitions including 8:01 recently. But 10:04 and 11:35 were not competitions, but oxygen enriched record attempts in a backyard pool, coming up with pink lips and CO2 tremors at the end... anyway it doesn't matter because with the new rules there will be no more oxygen problems.

Branko, 9 Litres without packing! Huge. Spearfishing for 9 hours per day in 15C water! How many dives per day? Maybe you can add up the total time underwater, it is a useful number...

What dive watch do you use? I'd be really interested in seeing some details from a days spearfishing.

But 10:04 and 11:35 were not competitions, but oxygen enriched record attempts in a backyard pool, coming up with pink lips and CO2 tremors at the end...

From the video it does look like a backyard pool indeed Eric but how do you know about it being partially enriched O2? Is it something you are inferring from the signs you mentioned or is this something that is known but somehow cannot be penalised because of a hole in the rules.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT