• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

C4 Graphite shooting line not sitting tight around the line release? Help?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Do you think this shaft here:

Will work better for my C4? The hole seems to be also further back.
Yes, that should be OK.
Omer shaft tail.jpg

Thanks for the help Pete!
And take that Urukay out sometimes and let me hear what you think about it. It's an interesting gun to be sure, a bluewater capable gun at 120 cm!
I wonder which one would be better in bluewater, the graphite 132 two small ID bands 7.5 mm shaft, or the Urukay with three small ID bands and 8mm shaft.

Better depends on what you are shooting at and how hard it is to break some internal body parts that will disable or hopefully stone it. With their swimming capability or helm control lost the fish are soon yours.

It is interesting to note that C4 use a white grease (probably lithium based) on the trigger mechanism and screws. Normally one wants to keep grease away from trigger mechanisms for fear of attracting sand which will be inclined to stick to the grease.
C4 Carbon grease.jpg

Although for now the "Mr Dark" seems to be history I found these photos by chance on the Web and realized that the gun the young lady is holding is a "Mr Dark". One thing for sure she is not dressed for the hunt, no snorkel and no fins, but I wonder what is holding her down in the water? In the left hand photo you can see why I thought the gun was shaped like a turkey, look at that bulge!.
Mr Dark user A.jpg

Last edited:
An Update: I tried a different spear with a longer end. This fixed my line release arm being pushed to far forward problem. Turns out the issue was that the original Pathos spear was cut short at the end. You really need to check the end of your spear if you want to pair it properly with a C4 gun with this kind of mechanism.

Reactions: Kodama
It would help if C4 issued a graphic like this one for the new Gladius with dimension X included. A is the length of the shaft from butt to tip, but without the shaft overhang length we don't know the distance to the back wall of the sear box/line release lever front edge.
C4 Gladius dimensions.jpg

Last edited:
We can probably figure that out from the drawing by measuring the known lengths and calculating the scale.

Why is that length important to know?

We can probably figure that out from the drawing by measuring the known lengths and calculating the scale.

Why is that length important to know?
You could buy two spears of the exact same length, but one may have a longer tail as the OP discovered if it was from a different spear manufacturer. There are shorter tails out there. The shaft overhang in each case would be different (with the shaft pulled forwards against the sear tooth), although only a few millimetres, that is how you could pick it up. It took 7 pages of this thread to work it out!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kodama
Yes indeed! From my experience this is what I can recommend to aspiring C4 buyers: Do not use a pathos shaft with the C4 guns with the new line release arm design (the arm located inside the trigger mechanism) as the butt is cut way too short. What worked for me was the Omer America 7mm shaft, and now I've ordered a Hunt shaft, will keep updating. Make sure you look at the butt of the spear and see if it is long enough.

I dont have the same gun but ive seen this problem rather often. id also wrap the line under tha barrel. Mostly this was my solution: open the mech and with most of them you can adjust the swivel of the release a bit. that should do it. (havent read the whole thread so maybe youve already found a solution)
cheers mate

Hey! I thought so as well
but then I see this little 'hook' under the gun body so I assumed this is what it's for, see my finger pointing.
Also I looked up some graphite guns online and they also wrap their shooting line like this. I assume this is to make your lines tidy.
Yes , you can use the little notch to "hide" your line under the barrel. I have the same gun and with a correct tension from the reel, the line stays put.
Only thing for me is that it does not shoot straight !

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT