• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

C4 Graphite shooting line not sitting tight around the line release? Help?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I managed to find another guy with the same Graphite as mine, same size, he also uses monoline to wrap his shooting line and still, the difference is day and night!
His shooting line wraps perfectly and the line release arm doesn't leans too much forward. I start to think there's something faulty with my gun. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• C4 GRAPHITE LINE RELEASE ARM.png
    C4 GRAPHITE LINE RELEASE ARM.png
    563.3 KB · Views: 308
Reactions: Kodama
I managed to find another guy with the same Graphite as mine, same size, he also uses monoline to wrap his shooting line and still, the difference is day and night!
His shooting line wraps perfectly and the line release arm doesn't leans too much forward. I start to think there's something faulty with my gun. What are your thoughts?

I think it is quite obvious what the correct position of the line release should be.
We have several examples of the correct position. Yours is clearly different..

I suggest that you undo the cap screw and take the arm out and photograph it in plan view so that we can see the shape of it. You will need a hex key for the job. Another thing is see if there are marks on it where it leans on the parts inside the housing. Being new there may not be any so another thing is paint it with ink and reinstall it, work it back and forth and then pull it out and see where the ink has rubbed off. Another possibility is you can bend it and hammer flat any crinkles that you put in it. To rework the metal you heat it to cherry red to anneal it and then attack it with hammer and vice. After it is the desired shape reheat and quench it to reharden it. Or you take it to pieces and check how it works as you know how it goes togther. I would have taken it apart in the first place as once in bits you can see everything.
Carbon C4 trigger line release lever.jpg

C4 trigger and line release.jpg

Last edited:
Well I made the big mistake of ordering the "Mr Dark" from Subprof who had the “Mr Dark” gun listed as in stock. Paid the money and not a peep out of them as to a delivery date or even a tracking number. Queried after two weeks and then warned them giving them three days to reply after they had taken the money and now have done absolutely zero for three weeks as the order was placed, and paid for, on 31st May 2019. The matter is now in the hands of PayPal as I screen print all correspondence, including time and date stamps, off the computer screen

Well I made the big mistake of ordering the "Mr Dark" from Subprof who had the “Mr Dark” gun listed as in stock. Paid the money and not a peep out of them as to a delivery date or even a tracking number. Queried after two weeks and then warned them giving them three days to reply after they had taken the money and now have done absolutely zero for three weeks as the order was placed, and paid for, on 31st May 2019. The matter is now in the hands of PayPal as I screen print all correspondence, including time and date stamps, off the computer screen
I am sorry to hear that Pete. I would not recommend Subprof or Scubastore when ordering high value items. These websites seem very shady and they have very low score on trustpilot.

The dispute has been escalated to a claim and PayPal are now waiting on Subprof's response. Just checked and still not a peep out of Subprof in my messages (via their website) and either they don't care or nobody is at home. Well the torpedoes are in the water and running and now we will see what happens. The problem is the money paid can still be tied up for a month or more and in this case it is the cost of a "Mr Dark" which is a reasonable amount of money.

Update from PayPal; I get an answer in 7 days’ time, meanwhile Subprof have not responded to PayPal's own queries!

Last edited:
Nearly a month gone and Subprof is saying nothing to anyone on this failure of theirs to provide any goods, or explanations, while keeping the money for both the item and the shipping!

Update: with zero responses to PayPal's own queries PayPal have now refunded all my money and the transaction has been cancelled. Subprof should be blacklisted as they are not a legitimate business and are basically an order forwarder, which is why they falsely advertise what they do not have to sell.

Why I decided to act was when I checked after two weeks had elapsed and with no tracking number provided I found that the "Mr Dark“ was marked as no longer available on their website. Thus either I had purchased the last one they had, in which case it should have been shipped, or they had no stock when I ordered. With Carbon C4 themselves no longer listing the gun that meant they were hanging onto my money with absolutely zero chance of sending me the gun. There are still a few "Mr Dark" guns from other retailers, but Subprof was not going to be able to source a new gun which is what I had already paid them for. I indicated this entire situation to PayPal by sending them copies of all my correspondence to Subprof via time and date stamped screen prints off my computer.

Last edited:
Back to the problem at hand, if you remove the line release lever then you can grind or file the trailing edge as shown here. The finger will still be strong enough as not much metal needs to be removed. Or you could bend and re-forge it when red hot, but removing some metal and then smoothing it off will be a better option.
graphite line release modification.jpg

Okay I was talking to Bill who thinks there's a problem with the trigger mechanism.
He was referring to this picture, where the shaft is pushed out of the mech's center, now it sits slightly to the right, whenever the shooting line puts tension on the line release.
That's what he said and I wanted to be sure. I am gathering opinions right now.
Bill suggests I ask the store to fix this problem and if it's not possible, ask for a refund. This seems like a serious issue and that's why I wanted to be sure.
This is my approach.
It occurs to me that when the bands are cocked the shaft will straighten up in the sear box and not sit on one side as you see in those photos. The shaft tail in many cast handle euroguns entered the sear box through a rectangular mouth wider than the shaft, but they always centered when the band load went on, although they did have side lugs on the shaft tail in the early spears which acted as a line slide stop, but behind the shaft wishbone notches! Later on tail stops behind shaft notches was recognized as a way to snap the tail off under certain circumstances.

My returned money, less exchange rate conversion costs each way, was sitting in my PayPal account, so I decided to buy an "Urukay" instead rather than wait for the “Mr Dark” to return to production, if ever it does. The C4 "Urukay" 120 cm arrived a couple of days ago, but being busy I only got around to unpacking it today. Seems that the gun advert photos had not been updated as this gun has the line release lever inside the trigger mechanism and not on the barrel as depicted in the website adverts, so it is in fact the latest model of the “Urukay”. When I can find my electronic weighing gadget I will check out how much it weighs as it seems to be reasonably hefty, which is good.

Last edited:
Out of the box the C4 Carbon "Urukay" 120 cm model weighs 2.57 kg. First time I weighed it the scale showed 2.575 kg and then 2.565 kg on a second try, so 2.57 kg is probably about right (Chinese scales). I usually carry my guns around by gripping then mid-stock when going into and exiting the water (but not from a boat), however the "Urukay" is too fat to grip it around the middle as I cannot close my fingers around it enough to get a really firm grip. I can hold it, but would not want to stumble or trip, especially with wet gloves. The main benefit I can see is that slim forward barrel which will have low drag on the traverse, but still a lot of fat barrel to swing located a bit further back. I will be putting an 8 mm shaft and two or three bands on it, probably 16 mm. Most fish I shoot need more than 7 mm to knock the stuffing out of them.

Please keep us updated. Would love to hear more about it’s performance!

The Mr. Dark is out of production, Pete.

Show us some pictures of your Urukay. :)
Here it is straight out of the shipping box and cut free of meters of bubble wrap and an outer protective clear bag which was inside the box. Took about half an hour to free it which was good as another gun I purchased a month ago arrived snapped clean in two (fortunately not one of these) as it was in a package that served only as outer cladding and the gun stock bore all of the shipping weight (effectively doubling the weight of the gun) when it was dropped or something was dumped on top of it during shipping.
C4 Urukay wide shot R.jpg

C4 Urukay mech entrance.jpg

C4 Urukay rear lhs R.jpg
C4 Urukay handle rhs.jpg
C4 Urukay full length R.jpg

And very heavy as my alloy Riffe "Metaltech" wears 1.50 kg, although it is not as long as the "Urukay", being only a MT#3. Compare that with 2.84 kg for an Ultimate Double complete with two spears! The "Urukay" weighs 2.57 kg with no spear and no bands and no line on the reel. That is 3 thick bands and 9 mm shaft territory.

Last edited:
I would set it up with 7 mm shaft and 2 x 14 mm bands.
For its mass the "Urukay" is wasted on that set-up as much lighter guns use that shaft and band combination. There are plenty of guns half the weight of the "Urukay" shooting 7 mm shafts with 14 mm bands, and even 16 mm bands on long shafts.

Reactions: sharkey
With a heavier shaft, you'll get lots of recoil. Maybe a 7.5 mm but not even an 8 mm.

I have a number of guns shooting 3/8" shafts and don't have any problems with the recoil, although you need both hands on the guns. C4 Carbon even indicate the gun's capabilities on their website:-

"Urukay can feature double or triple circular bands and shafts from 7 to 8 mm. The trigger mechanism is behind the hand and it has a shaft guide and bands elevator. Excellent handling in relation to the high mass."

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT