• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Canada - Quebec - List your spearfishing spots

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi there,
Tournament in Quebec sounds great. Let me know if anything can be arranged this summer and I'll find time and come. Also great video: I guess the spearguns you were using are HH. What length? 130cm? Any problems flying them over to Mexico?

We had a few guns, most of them provided by Spearfishingtoday.com, Leo uses Persistent Carbon Fibre guns. They were 120's. No issues bringing them down, just created a special PVC case from home depot.

Excellent for the Tourney, we will keep you posted. Do you know a lot of people in Toronto that spearfish?

JE

No, I don't know anyone here that spearfish. Thanks for the info and I'm looking forward to hearing from you. Maybe we can get together at some point and go spearing when the season opens.

Hi guys - am new to Quebec and have friends here that I dive with, however, none of them hunt (unreal, I know). So, am looking to meet some local spearos...I'm from BC but spent last 10yrs in Florida, been spearfishing for a few years now and did a couple of tournaments last summer...would def be interested in getting in on a tourney here, but this is a different world than what I am used to hunting in, so looking to get out with some locals and pick your brains on equipment, fish, spots, etc...in Fla I was shooting a 42" Rhino...also have a Mares Sten pneu which has never been wet. What guns are you guys using up here?

Hi there and we welcome to this thread.
I use a 90cm rubber band speargun (Marc Valentin, to be exact) and happy with it. For hunting in weeds (for pike) I'm getting a shorter gun - didn't decide yet between 65cm and 75cm. Visibility here is quite good so it's pretty much what length you prefer :). I used to have pneumatic guns before but found them to be inaccurate compared to rubber. Good luck and maybe I'll see you in the water.

Thanks arkbass...I have always used bands and no interest in pneumatic...need to pick up a shorter one as well as mine is 120cm. Thanks for the info.

Quebec-Spearo, Arkbass, if you don't mind I will join you in this trip. I also like the idea of a spearfishing competetition. I used to take part in such competitions and now I look forward to participate in another one. Besides, I know several guys in Quebec who may be interested in this event too.

Hello to all my fellow Canadian spearos. I'm starting my spearfishing career this summer and my first stop will be the lakes in Gatineau Park (lac Meech, lac Phillipe and lac La Peche). I also plan on taking a trip up to either lac du Poissson Blancs or lac des Trentes et une milles and exploring some of the seemingly thousands of little lakes sprinkled around the region.

Has anybody gone spearing (or regular fishing) in the Gatineau Park before? Any info about fish types and good spots would be appreciated. Lac Meech is crawling with bass (you can see good eating-sized fish from shore if you have polarized shades on) but what about perch and walleye? I've never been to the other lakes in the park but its all connected so i'm sure there's fish.

As for the two big (really big) lakes up, I've only ever heard about the camping not the fishing , so any info would be appreciated.

Not sure if I'll get any responses because this thread is a few years old but hey, who knows, maybe we can bring it back from the dead.

Cheers!

Hi there. To answer your questions: Yes, I spearfished all of the above mentioned lakes in Gatineau Park. Never saw walleye in any of them however lots of bass, rock bass (Lac Meech, Lac Phillipe) and good size sunfish (La Peche). According to the local La Peche has walleye in it but I did't see any. Maybe this year. As for locations - stay as far as possible from public beaches to avoid pissing off swimmers.
Good luck.
P.S. Had no luck on 31 mile.

Thanks for the reply Arkbass. Glad to know I can spearfish in Gatineau park because its super close to my house. I can be in Meech lake in like 30 minutes (including bushwhacking for a bit to get away from the main beach.) Hopefully I can spear some after-work dinner this summer seeing as how I'm there after work pretty much every hot day in the summer. Might as well catch supper while I cool off. Haha.

Good point about the swimmers. Not sure about the other lakes, but Meech lake is super busy in the summertime. Definitely don't want someone getting freaked out and complaining to the NCC. Even though spearfishing is perfectly legal, I'm sure a lot a people would be more that a little taken aback by a frogman with speargun in their favourite swimming hole. The other lakes are probably a little less busy but for Meech lake in particular, I plan on being as discreet as possible.

That sucks about 31 Mile Lake. I heard the visibility was really good there. Is this true? Have you tried any other lakes? I understand a fisherman doesn't like to give up his good spots, so if you don't want to tell me your super secret spearing hole, I understand :) Maybe once I find my own super secret spearing hole, I'll have some info to trade ;)

Cheers!

hello and welcome... we'll definitely have to setup some sort of spearfishing get together this year.

Hey! I want to camp this summer in Quebec, I can't seem to find out the cost at camp grounds, can some one post info?
Bye the way check out Spearboard, it is a North American site.
Cheers.

Man, I have to get out of this Heat! Thanks for the vis report Turbo.
~~~ Does anyone know of camp grounds at good spear fishing spots?
Hey I'm almost a Canadian, I had the misfortune of being born in New York! ~Cheers,
Kerry Kraft.

how about......ottawa river

blue see lake

31 miles lake

meech lake

roddick lake

tons off gret lake in the outawais regions.

hi guys i am new in here i live in hull...2min frome ottawa.

my main sport is kayak fishing(yakfisher.net) are site.local guys.

but i will get back into spear fishing this summer...and use my yak for this purpose.

there is not that mnay canadian doing this..there some great spearman in montreal area but here in ottawa just a couple guys.

nice to see fellow canadian.

joco
Hey Joco - I am a spearo looking to spear ni Quebec - let me know if we can set something up for the summer July or August cgalati@ymail.com. Thanks!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT