• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Car Keys

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I've actually given this some thought :) I use a very old and ragged North Face internal frame pack for my gear - I figure nobody is likely to steal it because it's sort of.. well.. fungal - and the nylon is breaking down a bit - but if they do; no big loss. It holds my sporasubs, weight belt, omer vest, mask, snork and wetsuit no problemo.

Still, I don't like to leave my keys in it - or bring them along. I have a spare set concealed in my truck but still. I usually end up stashing them in my truck somewhere when Iknow nobody is looking.

Crusty, Crusty, Crusty- my butt hurts even thinking about that. :waterwork

I've worked this out different ways. When I have my retrieval system in the water I tie the keys off inside of one of the floats.

When we spearfish I have them clipped off in a bag tied to my torpedo float. I also carry my flip-flops tied to that float and carry water bottles, gatorade and , just recently, some of those energy gels used for running marathons- easy to digest and pack small. I can also tie my camera off to this if I am carrying my gun and vice-versa.

I was out yesterday just swimming a lake in my monofin and fron-mounted snorkel. Since there are no motor boats allowed on the lake, and I was trying to be as streamlined as possible, I just dropped the key down my wetsuit. I had to make sure that it laid side-ways so as not to puncutre anything when I swam.

I've seen other divers do the necklace thing and I may have to give that a go.

Jon

Last edited:
ben said:
If you dive/surf etc in South Wales (UK) be very cautious about sticking the keys on/under the car. Some places in pembs, gower and porthcawl have real problems with car crime and surfers etc are watched from the dunes or other cars and their key hideaways noted ready for theft! The police have even taken to watching carparks with CCTV in places because the problem is so bad! You have been warned!

Ben
This is becoming quite widespread I believe, these hoods are using binoculars to watch watersport types to see exactly where they stash their keys and are away with your car or contents if they like the look of it :(
Keep ours on a carabiner on my float

Hiya

We use a old pencil flare container. Small enough to hold your car keys plus cellphone (mobile phone), which you simply attach to your float. waterproof and orange in colour.

Works great!!

Or else, simply buy a boat to keep your keys in!!! Now THAT's a great reason to get a boat!!!!:D:D:D

Regards
miles

Cheers Miles
i am sure my wife will see reason and let me buy a boat now.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT. :ko :rcard :waterwork

I like Jon's flotilla idea....although he usually attaches way more stuff than the picture seems to show.

Attachments

• Jonflotilla.jpg
    Jonflotilla.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 175
Another thing that might be helpfull is to put a tag on your key with the vehicle type and registration so if someone finds your key they can wait by your car and give it you back when you come out of the water. If you have your house keys on the same keyring then add your address and the times your likely to be in/out as they might prefer drop the keys round.

Last edited:
Er, that might cause problems for more clever and deceptive hoodlems that might be able to con the kind of lackeys that would probably be stuck with the registration job. If some no-goodnik were to obtain your car and house keys, they would have a new ride in which to haul off some loot from your house while you're still out spearing.

If there were a regsitration-type check-in, you'd have to have strict picture identification standards, which in turn might cause problems if you were to suffer an accident and were transported to a hospital. It'd be hard for a friend or girlfriend to retrieve your car and housekeys.

I think it'd be possible, though, and seems like a great idea. One would just have to think of every contingency and what not.

Sinkweight, my friend, you've just been unfairly exposed to some typical Brit irony! :)
What initially may seem like some pretty dumb advice is actually a clevery vieled socio-political statement about the lack of trust and general state of affairs in modern society. In an ideal world one should be able to label ones keys without fear of this trust being abused. Heck, in an even more ideal world cars and houses wouldn't even have keys!
But hey, this is the world we live in and we're stuck with it! The only good thing is that with all these dipsticks about somene of merely average moral fibre looks like a saint!

PS We knew you guys from across the pond didn't do irony when Alanis Morisette released that song 'Isn't it Ironic' in which all the things she thought were ironic were actually just hard luck. Alanis, if your reading this, rain on your wedding day is only ironic if your marrying a weather forcaster who predicted the day before it would be sunny...

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepThought
Alanis, if your reading this, rain on your wedding day is only ironic if your marrying a weather forcaster who predicted the day before it would be sunny...

Now THAT's irony.

Excellent point about Alanis. In point of fact on my wedding day it not only rained, but a group of ducklings strode right across our feet. This largely symbolic event took place precisely at the time of it's occurance and, much like Alanis' song, left no room for irony.

Or as on the Simpsons, in the "Homer vs. Dignity" Episode...Chief Wiggum is in the Financial Planning office with his wife....

Financial planner: You haven't set aside anything for the future.

Wiggum: Well, you know how it is with cops. I'll get shot three days before retirement. In the business we call it "retir-ony".

Financial planner: What if you don't get shot?

Wiggum: What a terrible thing to say. Now look, you've made my wife cry!

Reactions: DeepThought
Hi Everyone

Lizzard make a key/powerhead pouch which is excellent for keys. especially good if you've locked up and find you left something out cause you dont have to take the wetsuit off to get your key. My dive buddy got his suit with one and i'm going to get one retro-fitted. my key has a transponder for the immobiliser in it so i cant get it wet so I wrap it in tissue paper and stick it in one of those gov issue condoms. its a tight fit, but the lube helps it slide in pretty sweetly.
i'd rather keep my key on my person than the float because we always dream of the big one that one day may drag your float off into the sunset.

Reactions: Oldsarge
I hide my keys under the fuel filling cover, next to the fuel filler cap.

Peter S.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT