• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Car Keys

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
well you know, sometimes desperate times calls for desperate measures.
Untying the knot is a bit tricky though.

While shore diving on Guam I always bring my boonie dog with me. Tie her up to the truck, leave a bowl of water and I'm off. Lucky takes care of the truck and everthing in it and I bring home dinner.

Dive Safe,
Jay

Last edited:
glowworm said:
My car has a push button start but a small back up key so i keep it in my left glove.Kept against my palm it's pretty comfortable.
I like this idea:), although it may be even better to stick the key up your sleeve. If I forget to leave my spear-tip cover in the car, I stick it up my sleeve -- which seems to work well; even if it did one day fall out, it would just fall into the palm of my glove.

[I currently clip my key (with a small keyring) to an anodized Clogg krab on my float. I sometimes stick Gaffer tape on the blade of the key to give it a little protection -- but usually I forget something in the car & the Gaffer tape is far from watertight. I might try the sleeve/glove trick though.]

Groupermadness said:
I walk to the Beach and shore enter so the only problem i have is people stealing my cressi flip-flops, which they have done on numerous occasions. so any tips on where to stash my flippys?. :) :) :)
As an alternative to flippys, I sometimes use very old pair* of good leather shoes, where I have broken down the backs to turn them into mules effectively (which means you can wear neoprene booties inside). I use them to work in the garden. They look awful & people tend to stay away from them on the beach (probably afraid of catching some hideous foot disease!). As I said, the shoes are actually very good -- and can be popped back up into full shoes again -- they even polish up astonishingly well (although not like new). They spoil the sleek spearo image somewhat but very practical.

More stylish, although less practical, I also have a pair of cheap but good broken old Teva-like sandals (about $7 from Target). After a few years of very heavy use & abuse a strap finally broke. So I cut off all the back straps to turn them into rather natty, flippys -- I think they look better than a lot of proper flippys. Again, I already had far more use out of them than you could reasonably expect -- so even if somebody was desperate enough to steal them, good luck to 'em.;)

land shark said:
Found a pair of Speedo's with a Zipper pocket
Works great!...
Good call. I have new pair of Adidas trunks that have one of those funny hidden inside, fold-over key pockets -- perfect!

Last edited:
Mr x
For what it's worth the shop that sold me my scuba suit told me not to trust that type of pocket with my car key. I never pondered why but just took their word for it.
perhaps other members here can elaborate.
you know the fold over type pocket in wetsuits.

jim

Good idea Absolute except if you drive home and forgot you've brought the dog with you.

I use a velcro watch strap with my key attached. My key has a slotted hole that the strap fits into easily and I have the key on the inside of the strap against my wrist or attached it to a kayak.

My previous car had an alarm, and I had to open my car very quickly and dive for my remote under the driver's seat to shut the screaming alarm off.

I keep them in a waterproof pouch on my float. works well

Bloody hell I didn't realise the amount of daylight robbery around !

I lock the car sometimes (key goes somewhere around the vehicle or on a mates vehicle - swap keys - nothing like a simple ruse to confound the criminally intent) but more often than not I don't bother - same as beach rules in the summer, leave your clothes and hope for the best.

Mind you I doubt anyone would be interested in a rust coloured once white Micra with two revolutions on the speedo and a top whack of 35 miles per hour :) Actually I have seen Dave eyeing it up as he gets into his blue van with the doors that don't close properly and the reverse gear that is engaged by double declutching and pulling a green string to the side of the seat...
Ed

Another approach, although for a slightly different problem:

I used to climb occasionally at a bluff in Wisconsin. Local practice (it might have even been sign-posted) was to leave nothing in the car and leave your door unlocked and window open. The criminals in this case were after contents & usually broke your window -- an expensive inconvenience. Might not be the best approach if it is the car that they are after though!

This was also common practice in the Peak District a few years ago -- sometimes victims watched helplessly from the gritstone edges (a good argument for taking a cell phone and/or high power rifle?;)). The sad thing is, most climbers only carry climbing gear -- so it is climbers stealing from other climbers. A friend had his sleeping bag & mat stolen from a bunk house. Another had hardware stolen on Lundy Island -- the police caught the culprits in that case, arrested them and took them away.:)

In France, climbers cars were often turned over after the climbers have rappeled into the faces of the Verdon gorge or taken a boat into the sea cliffs of the Calanques.

Here in Wisconsin we now now have a"Conceal and carry gun bill."
Wonder if that will slow things down a bit :)

jim

We've got one of those. While it does slow perpetrators down a bit, it also speeds the lind up at water fountains, providing you have one of those wicked looking shoulder holsters. ha ha.

Hi guys and gals,

This thread is unbelievable; it shows how we get confused when there are so many options. Once we were four divers going for an early dive in Dahab (Sinai - Egypt) and we were so keen in getting to the spot as early as possible, we drove about 45 minutes on a desert track and went another 20 minutes towards the shore. Got geared up pretty quickly and we were all ready in 10-15 minutes.

Now with our tanks strapped, fins and masks in hand we started asking the “key” question !! Imagine having four different opinions :duh : in the chassis, in the wetsuit, under a rock and in the BCD. Everyone was so eager to defend his idea and demonstrate how vulnerable the other ideas were :ko . We spent 30 F@!#*! minutes arguing about it!

I don’t remember who won the argument, or in other words who was so stubborn enough to last to the end while everyone was sweating inside their suits :head , but we now remember that moment with great amusement. I believe each one of us is still using his own idea. Maybe a side effect of too much nitrogen narcoses. rofl

Gino

Attachments

• kp-car.jpg
    kp-car.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 177
  • kp-phone-2.jpg
    kp-phone-2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Looks a bit like the key boxes the American realtors use -- although I think they usually have a 9 digit keypad. [Thought: I used to know a kid that could open those 3 dial bike locks by listening to the clicks. He opened mine.].

I just bought an otterbox 1000 and it will be floating along behind my bouy.

That's a good idea and I should buy one for me and one for my friend back home.I went surfing christmas eve and strarted to leave around 4 or 5 in the afternoon when I saw my buddy in his car headed for the surf spot.I decided
to turn around and spend another 2 hours surfing with him. He put his key in his wetsuit pocket and lost it on the last wave he took.I gave him a ride home and brought him back to pickup his truck.If I wasn't there he would have been SOL and caught in a bad rainstorm.I definitly need to get something like that before it happens to me.

My car key has a transponder and I would be slow to bring it into the water however a shop will cut a non transponder key for buck or 2 and I hide the good key in the car and keep the cheapy on me or hidden. As it is flat and cannot start the car at least your car should still be there when you get back.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT