• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cornwall Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Re. the Conger.

I've been in a similar position and always passed on the Conger! Whats the likelyhood of personal injury and damage to equipment?

Would it be better hand speared with a large trident tip?

I think the risk of personal injury is minimal so - long as a wetsuit and gloves are worn.

The really big boys can bend standard flopper shafts, but this is the most damage to equipment that you could reasonably expect.

It is alot easier (better) to use a trident... 4prong seems to be the favorite ( although spearo dave uses a matc trident), and just plant it right above the gills in the "neck" or above the eyes to attempt to stone it... although i have heard this is very hard. Then take hold of the trident immediately... but DO NOT put your fingers through the gaps of the trident to get a grip as congers frequently spin, and this can be very very painfull. And make sure you pull the conger out of his hole as quickly as possible... as if he is there for too long he will wrap around something... and they are very strong. Pull as hard as you can (tridents hold very well in a well placed shot), and then when he is in the open, cut the top of the spine with a knife, or brain it from the underneath.

If you use a standard flopper, make sure that you place the shot at a right angle to the hole, to help you guarantee that he cant hole up. Say you are using your summer gun at the time when you come across one (a 90cm with 16mm bands and a standard flopper), the chances are that you will be able to shoot it with about 15cm between the tip of the spear and the head of the conger... and it is more than likely that the spear will pass quite a way through the eel. make sure that the flopper opens, and then try to slide the eel towards the tip of the spear ( wedging it between your fist clenched around the shaft, and the flopper). Then use the same stoning method as i mentioned before.

All of this is info that i have gathered from the guys on here in preperation of spearing my first conger.So far i still ahve not seen one whils ti have been out spearing, however, i have now been told of a shallow offshore rock, where they are abundant... so next season - its on :ko :martial :crutch

:D

Hope this has helped...
if you need more then check this thread out:
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=62243"]Congers!![/ame]

Huw.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pav
When i shot my conger this summer i only used a single barb spear. I used a 90 gun. My spear got completley bent but its a good experience to spear the feared conger.:) Also tasty

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
spearheads said:
When i shot my conger this summer i only used a single barb spear. I used a 90 gun. My spear got completley bent but its a god experience to spear the feared conger.:)

I had the same experience when shot first conger....spear shaft bent beyond recognition and it was a strap conger too.
See attached of 'beau pere' holding conger. ( excuse wrasse...it's a French thing......I refuse to take them on principal)
Cooked a great fish soup using conger so nothing was wasted.

Shoot to eat....not to brag I say

Attachments

• MimiCongre2003.jpg
    MimiCongre2003.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Merry Christmas all!:wave

Having read your conger tales I'll be careful to avoid them...at least until the end of season/last day of the trip!:D I haven't encountered one yet. I was thinking my 6.6mm spear would withstand a lot of abuse -- but if you are encountering conger as thick as your legs...perhaps not!

Do you guys keep a spare spear - 'was thinking of getting one, although I am now thinking a second speargun would provide a back-up/spares for more situations.

Santa arrived early -- new reel showed up today :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Man Dave
Mr X,

I was putting together a list of spares to have "just incase" and then opted to get a 2nd gun (different size). This way I benifit from a more useful quiver and if ANYTHING breaks I have a reserve gun to keep me hunting until parts arrive mail order. With such good deals on Euro guns its probably cheaper than having a cupboard full of spares.

Reactions: Mr. X
I think most people look for the worm size conger for the first ellrofl .
Also you normally only see the head of the conger so how will you know its thicker than your leg.:confused:

Looking forward to seeing some conger pics next year then MR X ,that reel should come in handy if you need to run away from the conger if it gets angry:crutch .rofl

This must be the cheapest place on the web for spearfishing.http://www.subprof.com/tienda/index.php?osCsid=ca0afa620295b1a8c8c64895042f8f9e

Last edited:
The conger i saw wasn't in a hole,it was out sniffing about,i only got to see the last few feet of it but from that i could tell it was qiute long and pretty thick.Like you said you 'normally' only see the head,not this time.

Merry christmas One and All!! Wishing everyone well!

Huw.

A Smelly Christmas and a flappy new ear to one and all!

I've managed to successfully hold a full family chrimbo at mine with no serious casualties.....hoorah!

Wahooooo One new Riffe mask, a pair of blades and fin socks, and the new omer mini laser knife for christmas:friday :friday :friday .

Merry Christmas to one and all again,

a very very happy Huw!

I like the new omer knife its looks realy cool did you get the clear glass on the riffle mask. I got a Fuji Finepix f30 and the Fuji WP-FXF30 Underwater Housing. I cant wait to try it, i have been practicing close ups today and a few over types of modes on the camera. Also a underwater torch that glows green when turned on.:)

Well i had my new omer ice fins,but my new elios sub inner vest will be a few weeks coming,but hey,i scored a fair few pairs of pants and socks so hey,i'm stoked.
But alas,that was the extent of my spearing related gifts
I did score some wall mounted kit...so,im still happy.
Peace.

Nice ones guys. Post some pics on this thread when you get a chance. [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=68941"]Christmas and New Year 2006[/ame]
Spearheads, I've seen yours, well done. I've got my camera but all that freezing fog delayed santa's delivery of my U/W case, as expected.
Went diving today. First time ever in my long life diving on Christmas day :) .

Merry Christmas

Dave

I'm off to try and find some vaguely fishable waters,mostly just to try out my fins,i was going to have a little look on the south coast past porthcurno,might be lucky but there looks like a little bit of swell which might murk it up a bit.
I'll tell you how it went later.

4 hours of driving,thats how it went.
Checked Porthgwara,too choppy.....sennen,too much swell,then drove over to mullion but no joy there either.
Sod it,it's turkey sarnies and TV after all!

Out of interset,is there anyone who lives near me that spears?
I live at Porthtowan and i have two fickle buddys so i generally end up solo diving,which i don't really have a problem with but it'd be nice to have some company and someone to share spots with.
Drop me a line if you're interested.

Peace ..Daf.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT