• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cornwall Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Viz was 2-5 metres,saw a fair few bass but they were all pretty small except one that i missed that was so close i could have applied lipstick to it.Bloody cold today,my feet are still like ice,seriously considering calling it a day until next year. (i say that now,but that'll all change next time the conditions are A1)

Doesn't look those conditions are gonna happen...can't complain though,surfs been pretty good and at the rate i'm using multimap for potential spots for next year i'll have a photographic memory of the whole coast.
Probably gonna have nothing to chat about now other than how many bass i saw on the counter at Tescos extra......jesus.
Plus i appear to be locked into equipment surfing,it tends to go....Apnea - Spearo - Scubastore -repeat.
Sad,truely sad.

badlander said:
Probably gonna have nothing to chat about now other than how many bass i saw on the counter at Tescos extra.

The bass in Tesco are no good - they are all undersize :naughty

It's not scrumpy but you lot might like some wine....:friday :friday
[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=68762"]http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=68762[/ame]

Spiderman said:
The bass in Tesco are no good - they are all undersize :naughty
Sea Angling magazine Nov. had a letter making a similar point. The editor reckoned the Bass is probably farmed but you should ask. I expect that's their story & their sticking to it:D Anybody ever seen a bass fish farm (there is a cod farm in Scotland, featured on BBC Country File a couple of months ago)?

I was watching a Sat. morning cooking show recently (hey the weather was sh!tty) and the chef reckoned bass are plentiful & easy to catch off the south coast using a line (and a boat I assume) "get a 150 a day no problem"!! They used live mackeral as bait.

Went line fishing for Bass off the south coast 5 weeks ago - over a Bass hotspot. We caught 5 Bass between 4 rods. The chef didn't know what he was talking about - complete nonsense.

On another day the same guys I went with took 30 Bass each - a whole days fishing in the same places. But this is not the norm. So I guess even though the remark about 150 Bass being easy to take off the South coast is stretching it a bit, it is possible for a whole boat to take that number.

Would love to spear some of these places but it is too damn deep (30m+)

Don't know anything about Bass farms around the UK. But I have seen them in the Med - they farm e.g. Bass and Gilthead Bream off Corsica.
In our local Waitrose the Bass are undersize - but these are sold as Corsican farmed Bass. The do have line caught Cornish Bass - these are a bit bigger but I bet they aren't 40cm

The farmed bass are clearly tiny,but they had 'sea bass' that were 30-35 cm max at tesco which clearly sucks.
As for taking numbers of bass,our shore fishing record is 20 between us in about 2 hours at Droskin at Perran,we only stopped cause we ran out of bait,god i love those scaley silver bastards.

Reactions: Mr. X
Finally managed to upload all of my pictures that i took over the summer, and thought i would post a few! Mind you looking over them drives me crazy, i just want the summer back so badly :(

Here they are anyway:

First one is a friend holding my pb thick lipped mullet.

Second is the same fish next to my seatec gabbiano 90cm.

Third is a couple of bass from the kelp - the larger weighed just over 4lb.

The last one is my dive buddy and a golden grey (not that you can really see in that picture).

I apologise in advance for the terrible quality of all pics as they were taken with a camera on a phone. I attempted to blow up the 1st picture but it became even more pixilated than normal so im not sure what to do. :confused:

Let me know what you think :D

Cheers,
Huw

Attachments

• heather and mullet 2.jpg
    heather and mullet 2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 198
  • mullet and gun.jpg
    mullet and gun.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 267
  • mine and petes bass.jpg
    mine and petes bass.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 255
  • pete and GG.jpg
    pete and GG.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 263
Huw said:
i just want the summer back so badly :(
Tell me about it! Just 6 more short months to go! (why isn't there a smiley of some desperate git running of into the sunset?)

Huw said:
I apologise in advance for the terrible quality of all pics as they were taken with a camera on a phone.
Don't expect forgiveness it's nearly 2007 (why isn't there a smiley of some desperate git running of into the sunset?)

Reactions: Huw
Good skills Huw!
Plus i always have time for a man packing a gabbiano 90.Love that gun.

Sucks doesn't it?...i'm preparing to go off the rails a little while i'm denied my salty fix,surfing just don't cut it no more.

I'm just hoping my misses gets all the hints about my favoured christmas present (some omer ice fins) plus i need to take my suit up to snugg in newquay to get some kneepads stuck on.

Out of interest,i bumped into another spearo in portreath carpark in the summer,i was wondering if it was anyone here?

Reactions: Huw
badlander said:
Good skills Huw!
Plus i always have time for a man packing a gabbiano 90.Love that gun.

Sucks doesn't it?...i'm preparing to go off the rails a little while i'm denied my salty fix,surfing just don't cut it no more.

I'm just hoping my misses gets all the hints about my favoured christmas present (some omer ice fins) plus i need to take my suit up to snugg in newquay to get some kneepads stuck on.

Out of interest,i bumped into another spearo in portreath carpark in the summer,i was wondering if it was anyone here?

Ideal... i take it you also use a gabbiano 90?!? Its my favorite gun i have used so far i have to admit... although i wanna try out a woodie of some sort soon just to understand what all of the hype is about!!!

you sound like a man after my own heart... i have also dropped thousands of hints for a pair of omer ice fins... along with the new riffe naida mask from apnea.co.uk.

And pastor... we'll have to get onto papa smurf to get that smiley!!!! 6 months seems like such a long time... i may have to take the gun to the local swimming pool and bag some speedo wearers :D

Cheers,
Huw.

'Weekend Summary:

'Weather patterns are set to settle down for the weekend as we're greeted by a run of light/medium NW winds. Unfortunately for the surf, this'll mean small onshore mush.'
(as quoted from A1 surf report)

Sod the surf,a run of light NW?......Hooorah!​

badlander said:
'Weekend Summary:​

'Weather patterns are set to settle down for the weekend as we're greeted by a run of light/medium NW winds. Unfortunately for the surf, this'll mean small onshore mush.'
(as quoted from A1 surf report)

Sod the surf,a run of light NW?......Hooorah!​
I wouldnt be trusting them..

Well,looks like i'm on for a dive in the morning.Been round the neighbours and begged my old fins back for the day (Mrs wouldn't budge on the 'you're not using your new ice's,they're for christmas' scenario)
Forecast looks like 8 mph westerlys....nice.
Not expecting much but it'll be nice to get back in after a bit of a break,any fish'll just be a bonus.

Arrived at the beach shortly after 9am,lovely conditions,light off-shores and no swell,got suited up and put on my........damnit...no weight belt,jumped in the car and 50 minutes and much swearing later i was back and running down the beach.Water was surprisingly mild,and viz was somewhere between 3-5 metres so not too bad....didn't have that long but managed just over an hour,saw some wrasse,a huge shoal of mullet,of which i took one,a few dogfish and a monster conger.
Now i've never actually seen one before and i'd not really made up my mind about shooting one but this one just looked too big for a first one,probably about as thick as my leg and at least 5 feet long.It looked like a big handfull so i gently cruised off and left him to it.Maybe if i had someone else with me and a bit more time,plus an extra freezer and maybe a sword then perhaps it would have been different.....but nah,no regrets.
Hope others managed to get in today.

Reactions: Pav
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT