• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

coronavirus and freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
We will try to blame less and look for solutions no promises. So necessity is the mother of invention. Hydroxyl chloroquine looks promising

Since it’s an apocalyptic situation globally we can make an exception and leave it here lol

The Italian gov test everyone in a small town in Italy that is locked down and has been under watch and they founded that early results from indicate that a low proportion of the general population has contracted the virus and that about half of those who tested positive are non-symptomatic . The other half displays very moderate cold-like symptoms. And Iceland are doing the same thing they are testing the entire population 364000 very small nation lol and they are finding a huge numbers of non-symptomatic have a virus. That is super scary to think what going on here in US with low testing. We are just ten days behind Italy. It is not time to blame anyone it is time to act and spread the awareness to those who they hurting others by not listening to the experts.

Someone said you can test your self by holding breath in 10 Seconds. I think this method for a severe cases and not for a mild symptoms.
I saw a number of videos of peoples who have a virus and they all have a common symptoms descriptions of something stock in their throat and couldn’t spited it.Honestly I had this symptoms but I never had fever or coughing. I don’t know what the heck is going on.

Someone said you can test your self by holding breath in 10 Seconds. I think this method for a severe cases and not for a mild symptoms.
I saw a number of videos of peoples who have a virus and they all have a common symptoms descriptions of something stock in their throat and couldn’t spited it.Honestly I had this symptoms but I never had fever or coughing. I don’t know what the heck is going on.
It was a whatsapp doc a friend of mine received. I expected it to be fake-news but shared the idea here anyway as some on this forum seem to have quite some knowledge of how this virus works.

I had/have the feeling of something stuck in my throat too for about a week now. But no other symptoms at all. As I live quite remote it would have really been bad luck if I caught it with the three encounters of the past week.

It's interesting though. Normally everything here is quiet, but now that people are advised to stay indoors, one after the other comes chatting. I guess they think it's safe out here in the fields. I try my hardest not to catch it and they come bringing it. :)

A friend of mine who has been on and off with flu and cold for the past monts (she works at a syore and a climbing gym, so sees a lot of people) almost certainly has it. Not tested/confirmed though. But she says to her it started as a dry couch, a blocked nose and a light fever'ish tingling in her body. Then slowly getting less and at the moment she thought everything was clearing up she got the full hit, couching up orange mucus and fever. Friends of her reported the same rollercoaster-effect.

Reactions: Tangerino
If you have a fever (or pre-fever chills), would cold water (~17°C) be good or bad? I'm not talking about going diving while tripping it on a 41° fever, but just bathing in one of the shallow rock pools around here.

It wouldn't have an increased risk of temperature shock? I figured it might be good as a way to both cool down and stimulate healthy breathing.

I think totally safe. We cool people with ice all the time when dangerous temps occur.

The WHO has specifically debunked as false some claims that have circulated on social media, including that a person can tell if they have the virus or not simply by holding their breath; that drinking lots of water will protect against the virus; and that that gargling salt water will prevent infection.
--Wikipedia

Just a thought. When we hold our breath a long time ( several minutes), our CO2 goes up making blood more acidic, that acidic CO2 goes into our lungs and makes the lung tisssue and air in our lungs more acidic. So what effect does acid have on any virus which might be in our lungs?

Suspect that doesn't help much, but it does inspire another question

Given that Coronovirus reduces lung capacity and standard therapy is O2, that improves getting oxygen into the body but does nothing to get rid of C02. It looks to me like a bad case of Covid-19(sp?) is like an endless co2 table, that should get horribly uncomfortable. Case studies I've seen look like that is happening but not nearly to the extent I would expect. So, what is going on here? Are the patients too sick to notice how bad the co2 makes them feel? Is the body able to buffer the co2 enough to reduce discomfort? Something else? Need a doc with some physiological knowledge. Grarena, your up.

You are asking if these patients develop hypercarbia and can’t get rid of CO2? I doubt that. I think if you tested them as they getting sicker they are eliminating Co2 fine but oxygenation is the first trouble. Once they are in really bad shape with hypoxia and hypercarbia then they are intubated In full blown pulmonary edema/pneumonia/ARDS

"You are asking if these patients develop hypercarbia and can’t get rid of CO2?"

Exactly. If gas exchange is so reduced as to reduce 02, why wouldn't C02 be very high?

If gas exchange were so bad exchange of Co2 was efficient they are intubated on a ventilator. Before that they would have a resp rate of 30-40 and obvious resp failure. There would be no doubt this is a serious problem to anyone including the patient. I’ve never thought about it tho. Good question. I think we are more efficient removing CO2 in dire situations then oxygenating. If that makes sense.

If gas exchange were so bad exchange of Co2 was inefficient they are intubated on a ventilator. Before that they would have a resp rate of 30-40 and obvious resp failure. There would be no doubt this is a serious problem to anyone including the patient. I’ve never thought about it tho. Good question. I think we are more efficient removing CO2 in dire situations then oxygenating. If that makes sense.

Thanks. Freediving experience(healthy divers) suggests its a lot easier and faster to replace 02 than to offload c02. Could be its different with the sick. Maybe at a resp rate of 30-40, they are getting rid of the co2 and worse than that they got a tube (and are sedated?).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT