• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dahab News Thread - POST NEWS IN HERE!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I am quite stunned and don't know what to say, except that it was a show of quiet and desperate bravery that showed through on Lotta's and others accounts of the event. I am so sad that there are those who value life so little that they don't really care who their victims are. The people who are making the real impact, the real statement, are those who stay and face the danger, those who helped their friends and strangers without leaving the scene while risking their own lives. Human will is indomitable, has no boundaries and goodness in the long run, will prevail. To those who were there and helped so much, you are the ones that will be remembered for many years beyond this. You are the shining lights. It sounds a little melodramatic, but this is what I really feel. Dahab is on my list to visit and I hope to meet you some time in the future.

with all the best wishes in the world,
Adrian

Herbert said:
I am going to Dahab tomorrow for 9 days. Anything I can help with?

Tell the German media you are going despite these attrocities! Thats the best way to help out the locals there!

I think Lotta's story really shows how well some people respond to crisis. I know I wouldn't have managed to hold things together that well. Kudos girl! :)

Thank you all for your love and concern.

Yesterday after I posted my story to you, Linda found a 2cm cut in my handbag. We looked inside and my notebook(paper one) was perforated with a fragment of metal from the bomb. (As you know, women keep their handbags close to them).

The best thing you all can do to support us now is to KEEP COMING TO DAHAB! Diving is a sport in which people from wealthy countries work directly with the poorer communities in the world, providing income and training. I have had three cancellations only. I have been very encouraged hearing from all individuals and groups who have said they are still coming here as planned - and others making new enquiries and bookings.

TRIPLE DEPTH WILL GO AHEAD AS PLANNED! Also the following sledge event. Please come and honour the spirit of our friends who were hurt.

Please contact me or Linda if you need more information.

LOVE TO YOU ALL
LOTTA

Thank you all for your love and concern.

Yesterday after I posted my story to you, Linda found a 2cm cut in my handbag. We looked inside and my notebook(paper one) was perforated with a fragment of metal from the bomb. (As you know, women keep their handbags close to them).

The best thing you all can do to support us now is to KEEP COMING TO DAHAB! Diving is a sport in which people from wealthy countries work directly with the poorer communities in the world, providing income and training. I have had three cancellations only. I have been very encouraged hearing from all individuals and groups who have said they are still coming here as planned - and others making new enquiries and bookings.

TRIPLE DEPTH WILL GO AHEAD AS PLANNED! Also the following sledge event. Please come and honour the spirit of our friends who were hurt.

Please contact me or Linda if you need more information.

LOVE TO YOU ALL
LOTTA

Hello Lotta

Just to let you know Wolfgang and I talked already this week and our plans are still on track seeing forward to join the team.

Robert

Hello Trux,

Israeli Government has had a warning since September 2000 (When the second Palestinian uprisal started) and still is today! It was never removed till then! The biggest problem caused by the Palestinian uprisal is lack of tourists in Israel, and as I was told by Senior Israeli governement officials, which happen to be friends of mine, that the warning was put to cover the senior's asses in case something happened although they had no indication and secondly to CAUSE the Israeli's to spend their money in the Israeli Red Sea city of Eilat instead of in the Egyptian side!
When you have a warning for six years without taking it off, you're sure to "get lucky", as they did.
You don't see Israeli officials puting out warnings about visiting Israel do you? (and we have the highest rate of suicide bombings after Iraq!!!)
Therefore, its only to cover the officials ass and to make sure that Israeli's money is spent in Israel!

Said

p.s. The Israeli's put a warning against visiting Thailand since 2001 and correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing happened!

trux said:
Israeli network ynetnews.com (Yedioth owned) reports that the Counter-Terrorism Bureau head Danny Arditi issued a strong warning to Israeli citizens not to travel to Sinai or to leave it if they are there already, just few weeks ago. It looks like these guys know well what's going on in advance - I wonder if anyone in place has heard abouth the warning, though I doubt people would listen to it anyway. However, it looks like watching Israeli press or official annuncements for travel warnings may be wise thing to do:

This is from the yNetNews.com article:
(the Israeli Independence Day (Yom Haatzmaut) will be just in few days, on May 3, 2006)

Said,

You do not need to be ashamed that you have an excellent intelligence service and government that cares about its citizens. I'd only wished we had such one too. Israeli intelligence issued a very strong warning in this case and they deserve credits for it, regardless if it was a clairvoyance, knowledge, or was just made in sake of keeping Israelis home for financial reasons. Finally, Israeli services issued similarly matching warnings for their citizens many times in the past - for example they warned the Prime Minister Netanyahu shortly before the London bombing (reported by Israeli news-portal Arutz Sheva), or Odigo employees before the 9/11 attack (reported by Israeli Haaretz) - I just wished it could have served to prevent the attacks, but understand that the information is rarely precise or sure enough to do so.

Last edited:
I've just heard something interesting.

A source of mine who works closely with people in Sharm and Dahab has told me that several people out there told him a few weeks ago they were expecting trouble. A westerner was injured in the head a few weeks ago when an egyptian smashed a bottle over their head. I also have heard reports that rioting had been happening in Sharm a few weeks ago.

Lotta, that was a gut-wrenching story. My thoughts are with you all and hope you can get back on your feet soon.

Freediver81 said:
Hello Trux,

Israeli Government has had a warning since September 2000 (When the second Palestinian uprisal started) and still is today! It was never removed till then!

Not accurate. Since 2000 the level of warnings have been changed inumerable times. There is a difference between a general comment that Israelis should be alert, a more specific comment that Israelis should re-consider their plans and a strong reccomendation that Israelis not go to Sinai at this time.

Freediver81 said:
The biggest problem caused by the Palestinian uprisal is lack of tourists in Israel, and as I was told by Senior Israeli governement officials, which happen to be friends of mine, that the warning was put to cover the senior's asses in case something happened although they had no indication and secondly to CAUSE the Israeli's to spend their money in the Israeli Red Sea city of Eilat instead of in the Egyptian side!

I would propose that the biggest problem is the indescriminant killing of Israeli civilians (Israeli-Arabs also, Said), the loss of life by Palestinians in Israeli responses and the total economic, social and political destruction of the Palestinian Authority. The conspiracy theory doesn't hold water. Eilat is totally filled, as anybody who tries to book there knows.
Millions of Israelis travel abroad every year. Instead of Sinai they go to Turkey, Cyprus, the Greek Islands etc. They're the ones who gain from Sinais' loss.

Freediver81 said:
When you have a warning for six years without taking it off, you're sure to "get lucky", as they did.
You don't see Israeli officials puting out warnings about visiting Israel do you? (and we have the highest rate of suicide bombings after Iraq!!!)
Therefore, its only to cover the officials ass and to make sure that Israeli's money is spent in Israel!

Said

p.s. The Israeli's put a warning against visiting Thailand since 2001 and correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing happened!

This was not a question of getting lucky. Before Passover (about two weeks ago) a specific warning was issued and Israelis were strongly reccommended not to go to Sinai. The same warning was issued in October 2004 before the attack on the Taba Hilton. The results were deadly in both cases.
Said, visit the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site (in Hebrew) and compare what it says about Sinai as opposed to Thailand.

Last edited:
This thread is teetering at sinking into a political debate, which will not be allowed to happen on this site I assure you. This is a freediving forum, and this thread in particular is for the emotional support of our friends from many nations who have been impacted by a brutal and cowardly act.
Please remember that we are all brothers/sisters and that some have been traumatized.
Peace,
Erik Y.

Tank you Erik for these words!
Lotta

Erik said:
This thread is teetering at sinking into a political debate, which will not be allowed to happen on this site I assure you. This is a freediving forum, and this thread in particular is for the emotional support of our friends from many nations who have been impacted by a brutal and cowardly act.
Please remember that we are all brothers/sisters and that some have been traumatized.
Peace,
Erik Y.

I'll second that. And thanks to you, Lotta, for your very intense account. Your selfless actions at the time, and your willingness and ability to write about it for all of us are truly heroic.

Sorry, this is my fault - I just posted a short information about the warning, without any political motivation, just because I thought it may be a valuable and on-topic information. I am unhappy it turned into a political discussion. I agree that expressing our sympathy and solidarity to those involved or injured, and condolences to the families of the victims is much more important and incompatible with such discussion. Just like others, I wish quick recovery, both physical and psychical, to all who were harmed. Many thanks to Lotta for taking the time to share the info with us, for her brave help to others, and for the continuing on the competition preparations in spite of that all. Please accept my apologies for posting about the terror warning at all.

I don't think apologies are necessary from anyone here amigo. We are humans and naturally look for answers and ways to prevent further injury to anyone.
Peace,
Erik Y.

Erik said:
Peace,
Erik Y.

deeply i can understand Eric
politcs >out

i like to tell Lota here above this pages
that GLORIA EYAL HAGAR & ASAF with the newborn baby (july?! maybe )
we will change our vacation from Eilat to Dahab !! !
they will enjoy the sea sun & place
i am gonna try to do some Freediving if it is possible
i heard a lot from Erez B about Lota & Dahab
seens the great lost that Erez ( my freediving INS ) moved to AU i think i prefer Dahab on Eilat

Lota be strong a lot of people think like me :)
see U

Last edited:
Reactions: mia
It is couple of weeks since the bombing, so I though I may ask how Brigitte and Sam (or other injured freedivers) are recovering. I hope everything is going without complications and wish quick return into the water.

Reactions: island_sands
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT