• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dahab News Thread - POST NEWS IN HERE!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
pkotik said:
There certainly doesn't seem to be any shortage of "inverted commas" in the world ! Makes it hard to "understand" what seems to be a very "informative" and, indeed, "interesting" message. Any "clarification" possible ?

"Thanks Paul", Please Edit "wherever" possable my "Grammama" has always been the "worst":) :) :) .

Hi.
Finally I am at the computer. Since I was at the spot with Sam Still and Brigitte Hauenstein i feel like sharing my story with you.

Me, Robin and Peter, my son and husband, were sitting at the Chinese restaurant with Linda right at the bridge having dinner. We are sitting right at the beach promenade with only a waist high wooden fence between us and the "street". The beginning of the bridge is only 10m from the place we are sitting. Linda leaves the restaurant at 6.30 and Brigitte arrives at about 6.40. She is supposed to meet Sam at the bridge at 7.00. She sits down with us and at 6.50. Sam arrives. At this time Robin (12 years) leaves the restaurant to go and see a friend. Thank GOD! Now Sam and Brigitte are standing on the side of our table, on the beach walk with only the wooden fence between them and us. They are facing us having their backs towards the bridge. We are less than 1m apart. Peter and I are still sitting down and we are facing the bridge.

Next thing a red blinding light and a sound that was literally PAINFUL hit me (us) in combination with a strong heat and I remember things flying in front of my eyes. I lift my arm to my left ear that is hurting and at the same time Peter is pulling my head down in his lap and bowing over me. My thought is that something exploded on the table, maybe a lighter, right in my face.
(Linda, who by then was at home, about 1.5/2 km away, said the violence of the explosions was such that her walls were shaking during the blasts). Now the second bomb comes, as loud and close as the first as I experienced it. Peter and I are now on the floor. He is lying on top of me and I still think it is an accident, maybe a gas bottle exploding in the restaurant, but it seemed to be too close to be a gas bottle... and I now look out on the street for a second and I see a girl half lying on the ground with her foot/leg in an impossible position. So I understand that this was not only happening at my table or in the restaurant. Also I feel that Peter is getting heavy on top of me. Maybe he is hurt… Maybe he is dying on top of me… But no, he is ok. The third explosion comes and then silence. All this happens within 10-15 seconds and by now we understand it is bombs.

Peter and I are under the table and I hear both Sam and Brigitte calling to see if all of us are ok. Peter and I rise up and we are without ANY wounds! I still don’t understand how this is possible. Sam, after the first detonation, has dragged himself around a wooden wall that is behind mine and Peter’s backs, and now he is on our left side while Brigitte is out on the street against the wall across from us. I now understand that it was her I saw already before with the broken foot. I think Sam is ok since I and Peter are, but he walks over to me asking for help telling me he is bleeding badly. Hi is holding his hands hard against his right thigh. I look at his legs and it looks horrible. Lots of blood and wounds like holes in both his legs but the right leg is worse and his left foot looks like is partly deformed. I immediately make him lay down and I take my sweater to tie around his thigh to stop the bleeding. At this time Peter already get a phone call from Robin, so now we know that he is fine and he knows we are alright. He is with his friend and his parents in a safe place. I run into the restaurant to find more things to use to stop the bleeding. There I see a man with a belt, I get it from him and go back to Sam. Peter is there and I can hear Sam saying to him “there goes my chance in the triple depth”. I ask Peter to go to Brigitte, since I am already helping Sam. He does, and I also see that other people from the nearby dive centers have arrived to Brigitte with a first aid box and I feel confident that she is getting the immediate help she needs. I see that she is conscious and talking, just like Sam. I tie the belt around Sam right thigh and move my sweater to the left thigh. He is lying on the floor and I put a chair under his legs to keep them up. Now he tells me he’s also bleeding from the back of his head. I run into the restaurant again to find something for his head. Inside there are 2 waiters. I ask for cloth and tell them to call the hospital and doctors. They ask me if I need Betadine… I ignore them and find by myself a clean towel that I roll up and give to Sam to press against the wound in his neck. I start looking around to see what else has happened. Up to this point I still think that all the bombs were at our place. On the street I see 2 dead bodies, of which one is burning, only 4-5 meters from where we were sitting. A horse is blown to pieces. I see lots of wounded and lots of people helping. I stay around Sam and at the same time I try to get hold of Robin again. But now it is impossible to get any connection. I look across the bridge and for the first time I realize that something also happened over there. So we didn’t get all the bombs, and one of them was obviously on the other side about 50m away. Now someone is coming with a trolley that is usually used to transport dive equipment to the local dive sites. They are starting to take the wounded on to the trolley. But before they get to take Sam, a Minibus arrives. The wounded are carried to the minibus instead. Two men pick up Sam and he asks me to gather his things. Brigitte is taken to the same car and Peter comes over to me asking for Brigitte’s brown bag. She wants him to get it for her. We are now both looking for the bag but it is nowhere to be found. The minibus leaves and we are still there… No wounded are now left and only a dead man and the horse are still there. Now about 15 minutes passed since the first bomb went off.

Peter and I start walking back towards our hotel with Sam’s things and bike. We still didn’t get hold of Robin again. As we approach the super market we realize that there was a bomb also there. This is about 200m from the place we were. So it was only the first bomb that hit us, but at the moment it felt like all three of them were right on top of us. We keep walking on the beach promenade instead and there we meet Robin and his friend with his parents. Finally we are together again. We walk to our hotel where we meet other friends and we all start to get hold of our families at home and friends in Dahab of which we don’t have any news yet. I was so worried for Sam and Brigitte since now we lost contact with them and there is no way to find out where they were taken, and if they got good assistance. Linda calls from home and she goes with our good friend Mahmoud to Dahab hospital to see if they can find Sam and Brigitte there. But no way. They are told that the wounded are taken straight to Sharm and we can only wish Sam and Brigitte are going there. I have Sam’s phone and I get in contact with Alun George. He informs Sam’s parents and friends in UK. But we can’t do anything for Brigitte. It feels horrible.

Now we know that they are both fine. Brigitte is in hospital in Switzerland and being taken care of. She is fine but has a badly injured foot. Sam is on his way home in UK at this very moment. He got operated in Cairo and we spoke to him several times.
A few months ago, me, Sam, Annelie and Fred did an EFR course together. So the first thing Sam said to me on the phone from Cairo, is that I failed in my Emergency First response, since I didn’t tell him “HI, my name is Lotta, I am an emergency first responder, may I help you?” and even worse … I DIDN’T take any blue plastic gloves on, exactly like they teach you to do during the course!
I cried and laughed at the same time as he said that. It was just wonderful to hear his voice again and know that he still has his sense of humor left.
Now we are only waiting to finally get the chance to also talk to Brigitte!
We love you both!

Lotta

Very impressive and emotional story! Just incredible what happened. Thanks for sharing.

Lotta,
great to hear that your family and friends are safe, it must have been a horrible experience

My greatest respect to you and all the others. The story really makes you get goose bumps and shake.

Robert

Incredible story. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to know that you, your family, Brigitte and Sam are ok.

Lucia

Hi Lotta and all .... Im glad to hear you are ok !
Its been a horrific last 48 hours !!! My family (Lars & Rikke) are now on the way back to Copenhagen, where they will be taken straight to the Hospital..

They´ve got several injuries...some real bad.. but I will know when I see them... I just hope they will be ok ! (I know they will)

Thanks to all you guys for being super helpfull, and sincerely hope you´ll be ok!

All the best..

Brian.

Dear Lotta and Sam,

Got quite choked up reading your account Lotta. So glad you are both OK.

George Bryan-Orr

Glad to hear all are reasonably ok I knew when I herad some divers would be hurt. Our thoughts are with you

Dear Lotta,

Thanks for taking the time from your chaos to share your experiences with everyone. Your report is chilling but heart-warming as well. Despite the heinous actions of the bombers, they only cast in higher relief the most positive aspects of human nature, caring and empathy.

I will be coming to Dahab in September. Damn the torpedoes!

Pete

Reactions: oferdegi
Lotta,

Lots of hug, love and support from me, Karol and Polish freedivers.
Even though it seems to cool down there we are still terribly worried about you all in Dahab.
Your story made my wheep....

I am amazed how brave you were and cold blooded giving spontaneous help to Sam and Brigitte. And Peter - you are my hero too for what you did to Lotta!!! Lotta you are really lucky LOVED WOMAN :)

Thank you and Linda for updates
I wish you all quick recovery from wounds and trauma
Love
Agata

Dear Lotta, great emergency first responder,

Great to hear that your family and friends are safe, it must have been a horrible moment. Gonnie and I wish you all a quick recovery

Peter

Lotta and Roland were the people I met in Dahab, before anything organised was happening with freedivers.
My first thoughts were of you 2, and I am relieved to hear less bad news than could be expected.
Carry on, do what you have to for the psychological trauma ASAP, and keep diving.
I am not specifically a Christian, but one of the quotes I like is "The meek shall inherit the Earth".
Thanks for the debrief,
Peace,
Erik Y.

Lotta - thanks so much for the update. I'm so glad that out of a horrible situation there is good news. Keep strong and chat soon!

My condolences to the families of victims, my deepest regard for those who worked through the events and continue to do so, and my heartfelt sympathies and respect to those that live under such rooves day in and day out.

I have been following this thread, but a bit tongue-tied and speechless from afar, and I commend those who have voiced their experiences and to Lotta for her detailed account.

With my deepest love,

Tyler

Reactions: laminar
I have been visiting Brigitte in the hospital. Her state is stable, but she is severly wounded. Media interest is huge and she asked me to respect privacy in that sense, so not too many details for now. But I can tell you so far that she said to me: "I will go freediving again!". She has a great fighting heart and the Swiss freedivers try to support her all the way. I am thinking of how the freediving community could support her. Does anybody have ideas about that?
Pat

Ok.
To follow on from that.

I've just been in the hospital visiting Sam.
He arrived back in the UK around 8pm GMT, and has now gone to a hospital (of course I'm not saying which).

He's in very good condition - considering.
If he was sitting behind a desk face-on you wouldn't know he's been in a bomb blast. It's staggering.

He's going to take some time for his injuries to heal, but he's in good hands.
Got his whole family around who will be visiting regularly (poor guy :)) and the doctors are keeping a close eye on him.

He did ask to be fixed up to go diving again in a few days.

That's Sam!

As for any press people reading this - he's in no shape tho to talk I'm afraid.

Anyway - that's the news for now.
Best wishes to all the others.

And again, to all those that helped:
Lotta, Peter, Linda, Sue, pat fish, AltSaint, and anyone else I've missed.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT