• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dahab News Thread - POST NEWS IN HERE!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I was last in Dahab about 33 years ago. Very bad things were happening in Sinai at that time, and I suppose that's why I never considered going there for recreational purposes.

I'm so very saddened by the Dahab bombings, and the Taba and Sharm attacks which preceded them. And there will be more. I'm no psychic, but since Egypt is and has been the key for those seeking dominance in the Middle East I cannot find a reason to suppose this will not continue.

I'm heartened by the calls made in this forum to defy the bombers, to continue to do what we do, where and when we want to do it. Bravo.

Mostly, I wish the injured a speedy recovery and that the bereaved find solace. I wish I knew how to help in some way.

Last edited:
I guess the world is no safer than it has ever been. It is always awful to hear about attacks against unknowing, unarmed people. It is worse when they are members of your community, your club, your family, etc... It is so awful to hear that some very well known athletes were injured in this incident. The irony is, as always with terrorists, that they are attacking and killing people who are far more open and willing to celebrate differences than to condemn them. Who could ally themselves with this kind of behavior?

I flew to England on the first day that aircraft were allowed to fly after the 9/11 attacks to do a presentation at Leeds. I felt that it was very important for me as an American and as a human being who decries violence to make certain that I was on that airplane. We can't let them have even the slightest psychological edge, the slightest sense of reward for their actions.

Perhaps the freediving community needs to have a little get together in Dahab....

Lungfish

Linda and Roland - Thanks so much for keeping us up-to-date here. It has meant a lot.

Synthespian - I have sent you a PM to do with press coverage

Mark

Brigitte has arrived by Ambulance Jet at Zurich Airport.
She is in a stable state but one leg is wounded severely.
The Swiss freedivers here and so many other people are very caring and I passed her best wishes from all she knows for the therapy and healing process through her mother.
Pat

I must say i am quite frustrated by all these attacks over the past year, the frightening thing is that i was going to dahab this time, last minute decision to go to the north coast instead, i was also going to sharm on the fateful day the bombs exploded there, i am glad to see that everyone on this network who was there at the time is allright and my deepest condolences to those who were lost, i hope they hang the bas####rds who did it

hi,

last update about sam:
i didn't make it to cairo in time, he is now at the airport and will be flying in an hour or so. he's fine but tired, but still in the mood of making jokes and make us laugh. and he was so happy that we could deliver his laptop so that he can watch movies at the hospital!
he says he's coming back to dahab as soon as he's out of the hospital!

thanks for everybody's support so far. a lot of people are calling and writing saying they're not cancelling their freediving trips, and so far only one canceled for tripledepth, which is very comforting.
we have the wish to keep it all up, and go on with our lives and continue what we love to do...freediving.

please, if anybody needs to contact freedivedahab, don't write to lotta, her inbox is already exploding with all the mails she's trying to answer, so write me at linda@freedivedahab.com

lotta is going to post soon her experience about what happened that night, as she an peter were together at the restaurant with brigitte and sam when the bombs went off, and they were the first to rescue them.

thanks,
linda

Aaaaah.
The desperation to print a story that you get it wrong.

Still - he made the front page of the Telegraph today which was nice.

To:

Linda, Brigitte, Lotta & her husband & Sam.

Our thoughts and well wishes to you all for a safe and speedy recovery!

Don't be distracted from what you all are there to do.... freedive!

Hope the Triple Depth Comp goes forward and good luck to all the competitors.

We wish we could have attended.

Deron Verbeck & Mouna Ghossoub

Kona, Hawaii

Even tho I called the Evening Standard, they've repeated the story incorrectly. (Don't you just LOVE the media!)
And even better, if you read it one way, sam now has a wife!!

The Evening Standard said:
Henry Luce, cousin of Lord Luce, who as Lord Chamberlain is head of the Queen's household, is said to be in a "stable" condition.

A statement said: "The Luce family would like to inform his friends that Henry is in a stable condition and that we are grateful to those who assisted him at the scene. We are also relieved that his wife is unharmed."

The 42-year-old, from Cadhay, near Ottery St Mary in east Devon, is being treated in hospital in Cairo along with the only other Briton known to have been hurt, 75-year-old Sam Still. His wife is called Therese.

Last edited:
Synthespian said:
Even tho I called the Evening Standard, they've repeated the story incorrectly. (Don't you just LOVE the media!)

ooh i'd better hide those photos from Dahab then ;)

Reactions: Shadowkiller
Synthespian said:
Noo.
Send them over to me. :D

island_sands said:
There must be opportunities for Intel guys down in Egypt... I believe that if there was somebody in these touristic towns would have known this was going to happen. More moles needed

Slightly more dificult than just moving in sara, the word inteligence is usualy a contradictive word, i used to prefer information gathering. the problem lies not in the, not knowing "where", but "when", also the main groups lose control over the fundimental splinter groups that loose faith in the party heads,(not killing enough) and DIY, they keep funds and use them to their own ends, usualy without permision of the main faction, but (now the odd bit) they will (the faction), if it was a succesful mission(ie no local outcry against them, not too many local casualties, and High media coverage), claim the full responsability to gain extra power(plus funding) within the organization which covers the word "international terrorism".

Last edited:
There certainly doesn't seem to be any shortage of "inverted commas" in the world ! Makes it hard to "understand" what seems to be a very "informative" and, indeed, "interesting" message. Any "clarification" possible ?

I'll be off to Egypt in about 3 weeks myself and I won't allow the terrorists to dictate my life.

My thoughts are with whose involved and I wish them all a speedy recovery.
(hopefully Sam will be fully recovered in time for his 76 birthday:) )

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT