• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dangers of free diving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Hi,
As a relatively new spearo I started reading up on latest free diving techniques & theory. It is pretty scary to read. I also talk to a scuba instructor. There seems to be some new ailment, accident scenario or danger to discuss every time we meet. I thought it might be interesting to create a list of common injuries, maladies, etc. that afflict freedivers ... so that we all know what we are letting ourselves in for.

Here is my little starter list, please feel free to add more, correct, re-classify, etc. or explain more (some of these seem to be inter-related):

1. Blackout zzz
a. LOMC "loss of motor control (LOMC or LMC)".
b. SWB Shallow Water Blackout (scary)
:hungover

2. Coughing blood. :crutch
a. Associated with Blebs (=bubbles)? "Foaming saliva with traces of blood".
(intra-alveolar hemorrhaging?)

3. Barotrauma :head :blackeye
a. "Lung Squeeze" = pulmonary oedema/edema (the one that kills high altitude mountaineers, along with the celebral variety).
b. Ear injuries: perforated ear drum (, ruptures to inner ear/eustachean tubes??)

4. "Free diver bends" ? :friday Presumably caused by repeated short duration, deep dives within a relatively short period of time.

5. Immersion hypothermia :(

6. Perforated lung/pneumothorax/collapsed lung. :naughty

[***See [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showpost.php?p=563328&postcount=7"]"The Master List"[/ame], maintained below]

Last edited:
Dont forget perforated ear drum

The one that is always in my head is blackout, by far the scarriest thing I have ever experienced. Not the experience itself but the fact that it happened. Most difficult thing to predict and it has the worse consequences.

Last edited:
Although blackout can have the worst consequences, if I am in a safe environment with a buddy I am much more scared of the other things, like lung squeeze and perforated eardrum. At least after a blackout I am not physically injured. The thing that scares me the most is being left with terrible health problems, which is what puts me off many other sports. I think I am reasonably careful, and what I do is unlikely to seriously damage my health, so I hope it's OK!

I can't think of any more things that can go wrong... :blackeye

Lucia

Dont forget the deep water blackout, sinuse squeeze, trachea squeeze, CO2 narcosis...

The Master List
(I will edit this copy with any new suggestions):

1. Drowning :waterwork, asphyxia by submersion

2. Blackout zzz
a. LOMC "loss of motor control (LOMC or LMC)".
b. SWB/SAMBA Shallow Water Blackout (scary)
c. DWB, Deep Water Blackout
d. Vacuum Effect.
e. Laryngospasm

3. CO2 Narcosis

4. "Free diver bends" = Nitrogen Narcosis :friday Presumably caused by repeated short duration, deep dives within a relatively short period of time.

5. Immersion hypothermia :(

6. Loosing out in other areas of your life (due to inattention)[ref. this thread]
a. Loosing your job
b. Loosing girlfriend/boyfriend :ban
c. "Tastes of enlightenment, leading to enthusiastic pro-active spiritual seeking at the expense of all other 3 dimensional pursuits"​

7. Decompression sickness - yes, freedivers can get this.

8. Lung contractions

9. Cardiac arrest

10. Respitory arrest

11. Amnesia (where was I?)

12. Temporary paralysis

13. Cyanosis -- a bluish or purplish tinge to the skin and mucous membranes

14. Bleeding nose.

15. Eye pain

16. Stroke. Read Nigel Dobier's poignant lifting buoy review.

17. "Immersion Diuresis"/dehydration

18. Diaphragm/abdominal injuries (more info. required here)
a. Strained Diaphragm

19. Injury by sea creature:
- poisoned (jelly fish, etc.)
- eaten/bitten (shark attack, congor, giant squid?,...)
- shocked (electric eel)​
20. Infection -- sewage, bacteria/amoeba/prion/virus, farm run-off & other pollution

21. Poisoned/irradiated -- pollution e.g. mercury, fuel, chemical run off, Sellafield overflow, jellyfish

22. Collision trauma -- run over by a boat, ship, kayak, jet ski, whale-shark, anchor,...

23. Brain Hypoxia. "Black spot on the brain" after blackout. ("black spot = little bit of brain dead, lost forever"). [ref. this thread]

24. Neoprene/rubber related issues (allergy, fetish, chaffing, pissette/bec du canard related issues, suffocation, loosing balance while suiting-up, fastening beaver tail around rail [ref. movie this thread], etc.)!

25. Asthma attack (chlorine/stress/allergy induced [also ref. talc issues below]).

26. Silicosis/talco-silicosis/talcum lung /Talcosis -- if you use talc or other dry powders instead of wet lubes to get your open-cell wetsuit on. [Also see asthma attack above].

27. [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=572867#post572867"]Loss of voice/raspy voice[/ame]

28. Chronic sypmtoms similar to pulmonary hypertension. Caused by [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=60421"]"vasoconstriction caused by the dive reflex and hypoxia (kind of like in sleep apnea)."[/ame]

29. [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?p=441024#post441024"]Sleep Apnea[/ame]

30. Equipment failure: " Things like lift bags not inflating, getting tangled, or visits from curious marine life..." [ref. ]Tanya Streeter: a Deep Interview by Peter Scott on DeeperBlue.net - Fanatical About FreeDiving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing & Technical Diving. Sled failure [see drowning, above]

31. [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=64075"]Arrythmia (irregular heart beat)[/ame]

32. Entanglement in fishing line, nets, anchor lines, lobster pots, float lines, water ski lines, boat rails. Carry a knife, a big, sharp one with a serrated edge or powerful dive shears.

33. Choking on gum (check out thread on DeeperBlue -- I kid you not, caused heart attack too).

34. "getting jumped on/kicked/stood on/trapped underwater by other pool users" [ref. this thread]

35. Vertical split in toe nail on largest toes (caused by finning).

36. Speared [ref. DeeperBlue threads]

37. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocapnia"]hypocapnia[/ame] - "a state in which the level of carbon dioxide in the blood is lower than normal; can result from deep or rapid breathing" - hypocapnia - definition of hypocapnia by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

38. Surfer's Ear. Bone growth around the outer ear caused by frequent exposure to cold water. Read the Devon 2006 thread to hear from sufferers (& surfers). Apparently quite common for spearos with other water sport interests.

Barotrauma :head

39. "Lung Squeeze" = pulmonary oedema/edema (the one that kills high altitude mountaineers, along with the celebral variety).

40. Coughing blood. :crutch
a. Associated with Blebs (=bubbles)? "Foaming saliva with traces of blood".
(intra-alveolar hemorrhaging?)

41. Perforated lung/pneumothorax/collapsed lung. :naughty

43. Lung over-expansion injury

43. Ear injuries: perforated ear drum (, ruptures to inner ear/eustachean tubes??)

44. Sinus squeeze :duh

45. Trachea squeeze :vangry

46. Tooth squeeze

Keep them coming (Any Doctors/Dentists/Nurses/Paramedics/lifeguards/patients/... out there?)

Last edited:
I rememberd another. Decompresion sicknes (DCS).

For all the people reading this. Most of things listed here u have to dive to extreme depths to be dangerous. 90% of those things wont happen when diving to lets say 30m or less whitch again only a minoryti of people can do.

*gulp* I guess I won't be training this week...

Losing job - why? Apnea in the workplace? I thought I was the only one who holds my breath everywhere!

Lucia

hi,

quote:
"I am much more scared of the other things, like lung squeeze and perforated eardrum."

but these are the easiest to avoid. avoiding a bo can be more difficult i guess. i do agree, though, that longterm effects, especially lung damages, are more severe than a bo.

sansan, people have barotraumas all the time even in very shallow water (missed equalisation, etc). the only things you can reasonably avoid when diving less than 30m are narcosis and dcs.

what i´d like to hear more about is the possibility of lung overexpansion injury. there is supposedly a rare chance (in theory) but i haven´t heard of a real case.

cheers,

roland

Any risk of brain damage from oxygen starvation/blacking out? Seems like there would be. Longer term issues from repeated black outs (alzhimers/Parkinsons/dementure/scaring/...)? :ko

What about long term lung issues? Lungs seem like something that don't repair as well as, say, muscles. Any scaring issues. How about onset of allegeries or asthma (indoor pools bring on asthma in some people). :crutch

Also, see this thread: [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=18238"]How Risky is Freediving?[/ame]

A bite like "loosing your job", you have "loosing your girlfriend"
This can happen in a couple of holidays, if not week-ends :hmm take care !!

Remi is right! losing your partner is by far the most dangerous part of freediving...

I see it everytime someone joins SaltFree - the first couple of weekends the girlfriend is sitting patiently in the car. By the third month she is conspicuously absent....

and then of course there is my own life...... I can safely say I have lost more boyfriends because of freediving than I have had black outs!!

Perfect solution to that - make sure your partner is a scuba diver and can become an angel!! Problem solved.....

Oh yes, I did forget - I must've grabbed the last decent one then :D

not sure it was a question of decency, more indecency

(or just incompatibility.... monofins and twinsets just don't mix!)

Re: Dangers of spearfishing?

Anyways...back on thread... rofl

I like the Sumora website -- lots of good spearo info., well presented too. I thought this page had some interesting information on Shallow Water Blackout (SWB) in the context of spearfishing:

http://www.sumora.com/swb.php

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT