• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dangers of free diving?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Mr. X,

Please don't overlook the subject of "Immersion Diuresis"

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

jimdoe2you said:
Mr. X,

Please don't overlook the subject of "Immersion Diuresis"

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
That's a new on me! :hmm Is it dangerous? Sounds like it could lead to dehydration! :D

That reminds me: when climbing legend, Don Whillans was asked why he drank so much beer, he responded dryly: "I have a morbid fear of dehydration".

[Where else but DeeperBlue could I learn 2 new phrases in a single day: "Immersion Diuresis" & "felching". Technology -- isn't it wonderful! rofl ]

Last edited:
lets not forget the possibility of shark attack, man-o-war stings (not deadly but makes u want to die). there are some pretty nasty critters out in the ocean....also dont know if anyone mentioned abdominal/diaphragm injures.

Last edited:
SpearoPimp said:
lets not forget the possibility of shark attack, man-o-war stings (not deadly but makes u want to die). there are some pretty nasty critters out in the ocean....also dont know if anyone mentioned abdominal/diaphragm injures.
Cool :cool: Any details on ab/diaphragm? medical terms? How about hernias? You inspired me to add a few more of my own too. Thanks!

BTW what does meat tenderizer do to jellyfish stings -- my South African spearo book recommends carrying it. What is it?

Run over by a drunken boater! :blackeye

Meat tenderizer, alcohol, or vinegar will denature the venom. The reason being, all venom is basically a serum (protein), and alcohol if strong enough, will denature protein by dehydrating and coagulating it, thus rendering it biologically inactive. Meat tenderizer actually contains papain. Papain is a proteolytic enzyme (protease) which breaks down proteins, thus inactivating the venom.

There are quite a few other remedies available, but it depends where you are in the world. If you are near some papaya, this works as well. One remedy is always available no matter where you are in the world because you carry it with you. Your freinds also carry it with them as well. It is the beer they drank the night before. Now let's see who your real freinds are!!! rofl rofl rofl

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
jimdoe2you said:
Run over by a drunken boater! :blackeye

Meat tenderizer, alcohol, or vinegar will denature the venom. The reason being, all venom is basically a serum (protein), and alcohol if strong enough, will denature protein by dehydrating and coagulating it, thus rendering it biologically inactive. Meat tenderizer actually contains papain. Papain is a proteolytic enzyme (protease) which breaks down proteins, thus inactivating the venom.

There are quite a few other remedies available, but it depends where you are in the world. If you are near some papaya, this works as well. One remedy is always available no matter where you are in the world because you carry it with you. Your freinds also carry it with them as well. It is the beer they drank the night before. Now let's see who your real freinds are!!! rofl rofl rofl

Jim you are such a wealth of information is there anything you dont know??

The other remedie is also good for putting out your friends when they are on fire

Crusty

Killing to many fish

Hitting your head on the oil rig cross member when hauling a** from a deep dive. (in my case)

Intoxication(boat ride home)

Getting eaten by a mako ( boy would that s*ck)

Having a scuba diver out shoot you. :vangry

Skid marks in your grape smuggler after almost being eaten by a mako.

Wow - good answer JimDoe2you! So when people pee on you -- it could be a sign of friendship & caring?! rofl

Already added boat trauma & creature attack. There are about 30 items in the danger list now, think I will take up a safer activity, such as knitting or ice climbing.:D

naiad said:
. At least after a blackout I am not physically injured.
Lucia

Bad news Lucia

some computerized axialtomography CAT show the appearance of black spot on brain after BO :(

not so good!

andrea

lamantino said:
Bad news Lucia

some computerized axialtomography CAT show the appearance of black spot on brain after BO :(

not so good!

andrea

whaaaaa? even after coming back after a short period? links please.

Noooooo! :( :blackeye :waterwork :vangry

What sort of blackout? Surely not a short one?

I would be interested to see the thesis.

Lucia

samdive said:
Remi is right! losing your partner is by far the most dangerous part of freediving...

I see it everytime someone joins SaltFree - the first couple of weekends the girlfriend is sitting patiently in the car. By the third month she is conspicuously absent....

and then of course there is my own life...... I can safely say I have lost more boyfriends because of freediving than I have had black outs!!

Hi Sam,

how did that happen ?

Did you also leave them sitting in the car ?? ;-)

greetings
Holger

ha ha.... that would be telling...

no, I never leave them in the car park. I just forget to invite them altogether and then realise six months later that I haven't seen them for a while!!

lamantino said:
Bad news Lucia

not so good!

andrea
So a black spot is worse than a green spot? :) I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible to see a short term evidence for such an occurance on instruments, what about long term effects?

I think the same, it's not surprising if there's a short term effect, but long term? I hope not!

DeepThought said:
So a black spot is worse than a green spot? :) I wouldn't be surprised if it's possible to see a short term evidence for such an occurance on instruments, what about long term effects?
sorry for my bad english
black spot = little bit of brain dead, lost forever

even for a little BO, it seems

the effect onLMC had to be verified

that's why I never thought to push my apnea just near the limit
but I'm a beginner

andrea

Reactions: DeepThought
Could you post a more specific link? I can't find that text...

Attachments

• wetsuit-fart.jpg
    wetsuit-fart.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT