• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DB spearo 'world series'

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hey, coming up with ideas' is the easy part, making them stick is what takes the work!!
Besides, the whole format is looking a lot more serious than the idea I originally bounced off the forum, so kudus to Alison and her 'team' for all the background effort!!
I originally promised to get prizes sponsored as well, so will carry thru my part of the deal.

Chow! :D

Jeff

Reactions: Murat and Alison
bluecape said:
so kudus to Alison and her 'team' for all the background effort!!
No no, not me mate :) I just made a couple of posts here, the rest of the team are doing the work ;) They know so much more about it than me rofl
Now when it comes to serving tea............

Well if you need the Aussie records Ive got the file on my PC... :)

I would suggest a percentage point system, where the official record in the divers country counts as 100%. Where no record exists that species doesnt count... Otherwise Im gonna win with a 200g Weedfish.. ;-)

Fish should be weighed on certified scales. Like the local butchers or fish shop. No bathroom scales. Picture of scale value should be mandatory.

Otherwise the rules should probably follow the IUSA rules, ie no assists by dive buddy, no shooting from a boat, no trawling of teasers behind boat, no explosives rofl

Shadowkiller said:
Well if you need the Aussie records Ive got the file on my PC... :)

I would suggest a percentage point system, where the official record in the divers country counts as 100%. Where no record exists that species doesnt count... Otherwise Im gonna win with a 200g Weedfish.. ;-)

Fish should be weighed on certified scales. Like the local butchers or fish shop. No bathroom scales. Picture of scale value should be mandatory.

Otherwise the rules should probably follow the IUSA rules, ie no assists by dive buddy, no shooting from a boat, no trawling of teasers behind boat, no explosives rofl

No EXPOSSIVES DAMN!!

Crusty

Don't need to make it that complex, more simple rules will encourage people to contribute more, the important thing is pictures should come regullar basis from members.

Reactions: bluecape
I think Sahdow is right though, we should base ourselves on the spearfishing competition criterion for each local area. For example, in Gibraltar a 3 kg dorada is pretty normal, here in the Costa Brava the same size would be outstanding - so how to judge? Would Shane's or Memo's 4 kilo dorada be equivalent to our 3 kilo one? Or is a 10 kilo grouper better than a 4 kilo dorada in the Costa Brava? Normally the local comps already have a pretty good point system worked out, but how to compare this to other areas?

We'ld have to maken an excel sheet to cover all the local areas and species in the world so anyone could see at a glance how their fish ranks with others. For fairness to be present and accounted there's a lot of background work and research to be done. Any ideas?

Adrian

Hiya

We could then possibly look at the percentage weight of a particular specie compared to THAT countries spearfishing records. We could then ONLY allow fish that are ON that particular countries record list.

Regards
miles

my dear miles,
while it is a great idea, i will have to include myself with another country :) :) as we do not have any "official'' records :) :)
happy ramadan by the way bro

Reactions: miles
If a country is so backward as to not have spearfishing records... joke...

But seriously, if Egypt doesnt keep Spearing records, then use the nearest country that does. Enough of our senior guys cover the world that making a call on what to use shouldn't be that hard.

And if its gonna be a fair comp, it will get very technical, they always do!

Something that WILL have to be ensured is certified scales. Too many people out there think their fish is 10kg because their bathroom scales tell them so, plonk the same fish on proper scales and it wont break 5kg.

What ever happened with this? Did it go on? Who won? What were the prizes? Could it happen again?

We will be looking to run the World Series, we are currently looking to pick up where we left off later in the year.

Thats exactly what I was thinking when I noticed the dates on the posts, if it ever went down Im really sorry I missed it :waterwork .
If that is infact the case and some of us missed this amazing comp, what about doing another one, maybe in 07 :confused:

Looks like you guys posted at exactly te same time. That sounds great Stephan! Keep us posted, please.

Thanks

Im thinking its time to revive this thread, seein that weve got a whole bunch of relatively new members here, myself for one, who would really like the chance to see what comes out of the waters in the rest of the world. Could a web hosted comp like this be accomplished? I do think there is a maybe...

We will be looking to run the World Series, we are currently looking to pick up where we left off later in the year.
Which year's that then? zzz

Just saw the Wisconsin spearing contest thread and thought it was time to resurface the thread :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT