• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DIY Fluid Goggles

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
(I used the 15mm FL, also from Anchor/Edmund).

Reference T45-093 € 27,08 per lens according to the Edmund Optics catalog.

Why did you choose this type of lenses and not the 'smaller brother' (23080) of the mostly used 20mm lense (23083)? It is made of a different material. Is it better?

Aussie

I couldn't find the T43-093 you mention but they must be nice at twice the price...
For those in Australia, I wanted to mention that I've have some spare new 15mm lenses that come out a little cheaper than getting them from Anchor Optics.
I'm looking at putting them in an Aqua Sphere Vista which used to be a pipe mask. Hope it will be easier than goggles as they don't flex much at the nose but they are higher volume (45ml)...
Newbie opinion coming up :confused:

Hi All

Does anyone know if you can get a 20mm diameter with a 15mm focal length?

I can only find a 20mm x 20 fl or 15mm x 15fl

'Does anyone know if you can get a 20mm diameter with a 15mm focal length?'
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that like putting 12 oz of water in a cup.

Just to confirm, there's no set of lenses under $40 that will work?

Anyone thought about custom contact lenses?

Hi,

JAEGERS 19MM DIAMETER PYREX PCX LENS, 20MM FL from Surplus Shed

definitely did not worked for me. I was not able to read my watch.

anybody tried mounting these on some mask like sphera? im diving in cold water and have to have the surface water inside the mask to not get a cold shock in the thermoclines.

any ideas?

Very valid concern. I've not tried the in Sphera yet, but you may want to have then in a seal mask in combination with a noseclip.
Some use a plasic tube to glue the lens to the Sphera/Seal lens.
I've made a skirt for the Trigons fluid goggles that also works.
The thing you need to keep in mind is the lenses work best when they are in the same plain and precisely positioned in front and close to your eyes.

Hey guys!
Are there any news on this topic?
Does somebody have an better method or better lenses for building your fluid goggles?

I believe so.
I've tested a pair that had the lenses inside, and that was great!

Reactions: xbuster
Hi Everyone,

I do not participate much here because I m more a scuba than apnea guy. I want to make a pair of fluid goggles that I will keep as a spare in my thigh pocket. My first guess is that I will make it from scratch using neoprene and aluminum thread, like those anodised black wires used to make gypsy jewels. That should allow me to bend the specs to shape and position the lenses as close to my eyelashes as I like. The black neoprene on the side of the lense may help by blocking distorted and parasitic light, and possibly keep my eyesocket and sinus a bit warm (ahem).

Does anyone have left over at least 2 (maybe 4 ?) of the real-deal 20x20 planoconvex lenses made from SF11 material, with or without antireflection coatings, that he/she can ship to France ? Pretty please ?

Hi Everyone,

I do not participate much here because I m more a scuba than apnea guy. I want to make a pair of fluid goggles that I will keep as a spare in my thigh pocket. My first guess is that I will make it from scratch using neoprene and aluminum thread, like those anodised black wires used to make gypsy jewels. That should allow me to bend the specs to shape and position the lenses as close to my eyelashes as I like. The black neoprene on the side of the lense may help by blocking distorted and parasitic light, and possibly keep my eyesocket and sinus a bit warm (ahem).

Does anyone have left over at least 2 (maybe 4 ?) of the real-deal 20x20 planoconvex lenses made from SF11 material, with or without antireflection coatings, that he/she can ship to France ? Pretty please ?

Hi fnog,

I've this lenses: http://www.edmundoptics.com/optics/...enses/uncoated-plano-convex-pcx-lenses/45237/

2 - $50 - including shipping
4 - $95 - including shipping

Send me a private message if you want it.

What is the optical property such lens has to have in order to see underwater? I have short sight vision plus stigmatism. Is it possible to make a custom fluid goggle lens so I can see as good as other fluid gogglers? I hate wearing contact lens.

20mm with 20mm focal length
or
15mm with 15mm focal length
or...?

Which works best, and is it better to glue them inside of goggles, or is the way to drill holes into the goggles and than gluing the lenses in?
Any suggestions / expireiences?

Best Regards

I've used 20mm with 20mm focal length. If you glue (see posts on forum how to do it) don't let the glue touch the lenses!

If you glue (see posts on forum how to do it) don't let the glue touch the lenses

Because ?

I'm thinking of gluing 20mm x 20mm lens over my glasses and dive with a rubber croakies. Will it work ?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT