• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Don't start QiGong without a master/grandmaster

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Speaking of masters

In my opinion the real master is someone who is humble and listens to others experience but not go exactly in others footsteps!! The true master is the one who invents new ideas and share it to others or am I wrong??

(And never tell anyone: YOU'RE WRONG, because no one knows and everybody is different)

In the beginning there were no styles (martial arts) and no masters, just people trying to make a living.

In the modern world we try to find a style that will give us the abilitys we wan't and we follow some so called master. My idea is listen to the experienced but also think for yourself.

And I would like to beg you nice guys that share your experiences on these threads: keep doing it, I think 99% of the readers really appreciate it and don't let it down!:D

Reactions: Erik
To Gerard

Hello Gerardo,
I already read all the answers in the forum and I want to give you my answer but honest.
When I began to read the things that Fattah made, my first impression was that he was crazy. For example once he said that the fast was good in the static, but that after 48 hours he had not found benefit. I thought, he has to be crazy to fast two days, just to see if it is or not good for the apnea. My brother, to which his friends call "the lunatic" , has some similar ideas because he thinks that it is necessary to experience a lot to find the ideal training. With the time and with the contact with people I have begun to question me what it is really to be crazy?. Living another reality, making things that nobody makes, seeing things that other they don't see, thinking different. And at the moment I find difficult to say who is crazy. I believe that we should be tolerant and understand that for other the reality is different. My colleagues think that I'm crazy, for the sport that I practice, and they believe they are sure, when I say that if some day I die practicing I will be happy and I will die in my law.
I was a sceptic of all that smelled of yoga and meditation, etc. but I have understood that it can be an option of life. I believe that your advice is sincere, but who knows which the true reality is?. What is good or what is wrong?
Open your mind and enjoy the life

choices

It's so easy to live in peace, why complicate things? People make choices because the sum total of their experiences lead them in a certain direction. We all make choices based on what we think is best, no matter what. They can be right choices, they can be bad ones, but until we find out otherwise, they are the very best possible choices - and that makes us happy!

To do otherwise is to go against our very own nature. And even it being "our" own nature we screw up so many times, imagine how much harder it is to evaluate someone else's needs. It is virtually impossible to judge what is best for another person especially in such a sensitive and personal area as spiritual development. First of all we haven't gone through the same experiences they have, and second, even if we did, we are still different people and will digest, process and react in totally different ways. So, what to do? Choose what you think is best and go for it. In fact whether you meditate, or don't meditate, or do this or that, it is the best possible thing you can be doing at the moment so enjoy it.

As one Buddhist monk once said, "We are condemned to be happy", so actually there is not much choice is there? We are already doing what we have to be doing, no matter what, no matter where.

Adrian

QiGong thread

Gentlemen,
I think the foregoing posts comprise one of the most interesting discussions I have read on this or any forum. I thank all those who contributed for your honesty, forthrightness, and willingness to share your personal experiences.

OK is time for self-defence

To JimGlynn:

Gerard- You need to train more and read less.
Jim

You should have said: You need to train less (I tend to overtrain) and chat less on the Net.

To Erik:

We say in Spanish: "ese tipo las mata callando", which stands for: quiet people are often the most dangerous.

-One thing I have become very good at is picking out the people that will not last-.

I guess it's you mate :)

-After a few years of martial arts training, or running, or weight training, or scuba instructing, it's easy to see those who will burn out fast: they buy all the cool gear, get all the right books, show up with the latest and greatest information or methodology, and can be very positive and can be very outspoken about the hobby/pastime/activity, and the "masters" involved.
Then something happens which is extremely predictable in this sort of person. They shit all over anyone who has actually accomplished anything in said hobby/pastime/activity then quit....just fade away usually, but not before decrying that this activity is "full of assholes", the "teacher is a jerk." This is followed by any number of excuses to stop training or practicing.
Most of us who have achieved anything that takes dedication have seen something analogous to a White Belt in martial arts who, after 2 months of training, suddenly is an expert on the art: he reads a few books or breaks a board- gets the taste of power, talks no end about it, then quits once the heat actually gets turned up.
My point is this: if you have had a taste of something wonderful, then keep eating it....for a long time, before you start telling others how or what to eat. At least have something under your belt to show that you are capable of achieving the professed result of that which you speak. If you need a master, then look for someone who leads by example, freely gives information and refuses to be called "master". As soon as you hear "you're not ready to learn this yet", then run like hell- this is someone who wants to gain power by controlling you. He/she understands nothing about true power.
"Listen to those who who are hardest to hear"-

That double who who shows a bit of a neurotic personality, doesn't it?

And all those fancy words still don't describe the essence of my previous post. However it takes mastery to accomplish a given task. Erik you lack of it, just grow up and learn. As "The Art of War" says:

"To lift an autumn hair is no sign of great strength;
to see the sun and moon is no sign of sharp sight;
to hear the noise of thunder is no sign of a quick ear".

You make a good actor.

Take care and learn, gerard.

"you make a good actor" ???:confused:

Gerard,
I have seen him in the water and his previous world record should prove that he's the real deal.

Jon

Everyone PLEASE stop with all this hostility!!
Everbody can have it's own opinion and it is welcome to share it with the rest of us. You can agree or disagree that opinion (your choise). But whatever you have to say do it with respect to all other participants in this forum/thread!!
We are all freedivers (rare species ;) ) we should be the first to get along :)

Zipy

Reactions: Adrian
Re: OK is time for self-defence

Originally posted by gerard

-"Listen to those who who are hardest to hear"-

That double who who shows a bit of a neurotic personality, doesn't it?

And all those fancy words still don't describe the essence of my previous post. Erik you lack of it, just grow up and learn. You make a good actor.

Take care and learn, gerard.

Your defense is to point out my lack of typing skills and make a psychoanalysis from that?
Ok, I'm no typist ;) I bow before your superior typing.

If you read your previous posts, you might observe that the essence of them was to crap all over someone who is well respected in our community of freedivers. Usually I avoid conflict when it's directed at me, but when it's at others, then I feel that it's time to express my opinon also.
I can be a good actor, but I'm also honest about who I am, I genuinely try to help others, and therefore make my piece of existence a better place for me and those around me....even the loudmouths I encounter.
These forums have been an extremely friendly place to coimmunicate so far, and you might find that we will only tolerate so much when it comes to attempts to hurt others. Mostly we are soft spoken; even the "gruff" guys are aware of a high level of respect.
What made you think I was talking about you anyway? I never named anyone. Can you draw on your psychonayltical expertise pertaining to that feux-pas?
I'll let my history speak for me here; not a book I picked up a month ago.
Erik Y.

hi

This is starting to turn out like the situation we had last year in the spearing forums where Scott T ended up leaving we dont want that again :(

Gerard you are a good mate and have been extremely valuable to me on this site but Erik has been here a long time and ive never seen him get angry like this same as Eric. These are well respected guys and freedivers we dont want anyone leaving this forum again as it was so sad to see Scott leave last year. If we feel like paying out someone pay out George bush for his trigger happy attitude lets all get along :)

cheers

Originally posted by gerard
True teachers are the ones who (and according to Frantzis):

3. Well balanced psychologically, which means they are open-minded, open-hearted, and generous of spirit

Gerard,

You've been everything but this in your postings. I suggest you take a step back, take a deep breath and take a new approach to following up on other's posts. Otherwise, your posts will start being edited and/or removed if you continue with your combativeness.

Anderson

Reactions: loopy and Erik
Only just read some of posts of this thread ????

Gerard if you go back and read some of the posts you made you might find them just a tad hostile. I think the DB site is great place to chat and share opinions, which are exactly that, opinions. You don't have to agree with any of them, but at least treat people with respect even if you disagree with them?

Wishing everyone here on DB some great and happy diving :)

Cheers,
Wal

Reactions: loopy and Erik
Originally posted by Walrus
Wishing everyone here on DB some great and happy diving :)
Cheers,
Wal

Me too. Speaking of diving, I'll be in Bali from March 21 to March 30. Anyone care to join me for some surfing, diving, a few beers?
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Reactions: loopy
hi

Id love to Erik but it aint gonna happen not enough $$$$$$$ :D

Congrats on your article in the freedive section od Andrsns website that was pretty :cool:

cheers

Reactions: loopy
Thanks Andrew, always a pleasure to share anything I've learned.
What's airfare return to Bali these days from your house? From Jakarta, its 1.5 million Rupiah, which is about 155$ US, so I can't pass it up!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

hi

Not sure how much it is, but too much for someone as poor as me I trying to save for my Omer Wetsuit + Car rego.

The weather is shocking here what about in your area. The creeks are almost flowing over the bridges I hope it doesnt flood cos I need clear water.

cheers

Originally posted by ivan
The weather is shocking here what about in your area.

Bloody hot! And humid, and polluted as always :(
Looking forward to some R and R in Bali.
Lets all pray to the Godess of the ocean where Iya is diving tomorrow....get him some big fish!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

hi

Iya is going freediving tommorow ???

Is he hunting for Tuna again or something.

cheers

Hi thanks for all the valuable information and the new book recomended in this post.

I just want to say that Eric Fattah is a great teacher and I am impressed by all the knowledge he shares with less experienced divers like me.

Thanks to Eric I have started Chi Gong and I feel great. I looked for many teachers in NY and many were asking for large sums of money for their knowledge. The books and knowledge I have acquired by Eric and many other ideas, has made me more healthy and happier with my life. Right now I can't afford a teacher, but with this books I feel better with myself and can hold my breath easier underwater, enjoying more this wonderful sport.

Thanks to everybody and I appreciate all the knowledge Eric shares with us.

Roberto Zuniga
NY

I would also like to pass thanks onto Eric F for his sharing of Knowledge. I'd never heard of Qi Gong until reading some of his posts and have since got a few books that he has suggested.
With my family taking alot of my time I find the resourses on the web and books are my only real option for self growth, thanks (everyone) for sharing!

As discussed in this thread, peoples choices are very personal on so many levels. Most members here have a deep understanding of others needs and offer "advice" yet not "propoganda".

cheers,
Paul.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT