• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spear Fishing 2011

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
it's always good to meet other spearos and have more potential dive buddies. Particularly when mine is hogging all the bloody mullet. ;) [/QUOTE said:
lee is the mullet man. got a nice new gun to prove it!
SPEARO MULLET LEE :martialha ha !!

spearo lees mully.

Attachments

• Mully.jpg
    Mully.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 139
spearo lees mully.

I reckon he was more like 5lb; wish I'd weighed it now. Ah well tasted good. I'll weigh my big bass next week.

ps the gun in the picture is a 70cm SL star; fantastic bit of kit; extremely powerful and deadly accurate. Going to try and convert to a banded gun when my new one arrives (thanks to deeper blue, apnea store and all those who voted for my fatty mully) and keep my gas gun on the float as a back up.

Last edited:
I bought an Xtar D06 - it is a XML-T6 dive torch, officially rated at up to 900 lumens. It's a bit like holding a full-beam headlight in your hand. Dimmable too. It runs off a single lithium 18650 battery and lasts around 2 hours or so. Bloomin' great.

I can thoroughly recommend the seller I bought it from. He is to be found on ebay here: big f d d | eBay

I also bought myself a nice 3mm titanium undervest, so I'm ready for the winter flattie season! Anybody up for some night dives?...

My new torch has just come .what service I only ordered it xmas eve .Never have I been so excited waiting for a battery to charge I think the residue alcohol is getting to me! I will probably be blind by the end of the day ?The torch looks brill .I will report back happy new year everyone !What you get then?I won't tell her indoors!

Hi folks,

First time posting. Hope you all had a good Christmas.

The odd December temperature has resulted in me getting in the water a whopping four times during my Christmas leave which is quite something for me as i'd usully give up late November and focus on the river paddling as i'm not so local anymore.

Whilst i can't claim to have speared anything, i've manged to get plenty of big scallops and have enjoyed seeing some massive Ballan wrasse around 6 - 7lb i'd guess and a conger around the 30lb mark.

Sadly during my christmas adventures i seem to have lost my dive torch. Boohoo! Last seen on the white motor boats jetty steps by the Portland castle car park. Its a trigger style torch and i will be very happy to provide a reward for its safe return. That said i think its fairly safe to assume the sea has claimed it and so might have to go for one of the Xtar D06 torches misterlizard recommended.

All the best for 2012

Well done to you three lads and your fantastic fish.

Goodluck with getting your torch back Slicky and welcome.

I hope everyone had a great christmas and wish you all a safe and healthy new year.

Bish

Hi folks,

First time posting. Hope you all had a good Christmas.

The odd December temperature has resulted in me getting in the water a whopping four times during my Christmas leave which is quite something for me as i'd usully give up late November and focus on the river paddling as i'm not so local anymore.

Whilst i can't claim to have speared anything, i've manged to get plenty of big scallops and have enjoyed seeing some massive Ballan wrasse around 6 - 7lb i'd guess and a conger around the 30lb mark.

Sadly during my christmas adventures i seem to have lost my dive torch. Boohoo! Last seen on the white motor boats jetty steps by the Portland castle car park. Its a trigger style torch and i will be very happy to provide a reward for its safe return. That said i think its fairly safe to assume the sea has claimed it and so might have to go for one of the Xtar D06 torches misterlizard recommended.

All the best for 2012
hi slicky, i should be diving round there soon so will keep an eye out. if i find it i will let u know. it should b pretty safe from being washed out from there so fingers crossed. didnt fancy shooting the conger then??

Welcome to Deeper Blue Slicky, nice one on the December dives. Sounds like you’ve had the same results as most of us, a few shells but not a lot of fish, shame as there’s usually a few nice flatfish around at this time of year.
Enjoy the water and the forum.:)

Good work to the Mullet masher:):):), nice to hear that the odd silver fish is still around.

Excellent work on the Xmas mullet!

Happy New year to all of my fellow Spearo's - hope the hangover isn't a killer!

Cheers

Ryan

happy new year every1!!!!

spearo lee and i went out for a new years eve dive today as it is the last 1 of 2011. was praying for a monster bass to finish off the year, had the camera ready to go for the monster . WISHFULL THINKING!!!! so not to be defeated by the lack of fish we made the most of the viz.

Attachments

• PC310040.jpg
    PC310040.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 148
  • PC310032.jpg
    PC310032.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 154
  • PC310039.jpg
    PC310039.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 154
  • PC310034.jpg
    PC310034.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 142
  • PC310041.jpg
    PC310041.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: podge
happy new year every1!!!!

spearo lee and i went out for a new years eve dive today as it is the last 1 of 2011. was praying for a monster bass to finish off the year, had the camera ready to go for the monster . WISHFULL THINKING!!!! so not to be defeated by the lack of fish we made the most of the viz.

Was a good day testing out the different camo's against the varying bottom types. Th competition was to see who was the least visable to the hordes of fish out there. Nobby did u post up the pics of me?? I can only see the rob Allen gun on all my Pics :)

Was a good day testing out the different camo's against the varying bottom types. Th competition was to see who was the least visable to the hordes of fish out there. Nobby did u post up the pics of me?? I can only see the rob Allen gun on all my Pics :)
Think I may, may, be almost converted to a banded gun after using nobbys Rob Allen. I had 3 shots with it and hit the target dead center every time. Shame target was already expired.
Now eagerly awaiting my brand new banded gun prize from the mullet comp.

was a fun dive! would love 2 claim the same wen i used lees gas gun but couldnt hit a barn door with it!! was funny trying it tho for me and lee. prob would have been closer to target if i closed my eyes. ha ha !! ha ha yes lee won on the camo for that spot. next time thick brown/orange weed!

Well done for getting in. I've got a lousy cold so am having to settle for playing Hungry Shark (great fun eating scuba divers)

Glad to see we have some Dorset posse still getting wet. Wishing you all a smashing 2012 and a safe and successful spearing season.

Ben

had a great night dive with spearo lee,tom and matt. tom ended up with a plaice and a few flounder and i got myself a 2lb plaice. vis was quite good and water was still warm.

Attachments

• DSC00236.jpg
    DSC00236.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 168
Nice one Nobby, although damn it I wanted to get the first fish post of the new year! :D

Like Nobby said, had a nice night dive with him and Lee and Matt, and came home with two plaice and two flounder. Water surprisingly warm - we were in for 2 hours and I definitely could have done the same again.

Looking forward to the next one already...

Edit: oops, just realised I posted this in the wrong thread. I'll repost it in the 2012 one...

I use a Cressi SL 70 with a MATC trident when the vis is bad. Quite often the case around my patch. The trigger mech is a little stiff, but it has plenty of power when using such a heavy projectile and it paralyses the fish. Would like to get a tahitian for it but they seem hard to get hold of in 8mm.

Glad to hear the Dorset Boys are getting in the water!
North

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT