• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
10lb and 11-lb Bass today - both at 30ft in caves..... pictures to follow when I have reduced the size of them.... happy me!

Last edited:
Their not real! Rubber fish and tomato sauce i bet!! Thats why you could not dive with us, you were moulding them... :t

Sounds good. I was going to go in today and Bass up the fridge but the lure of the Ale festival up at the George has proved too great... :friday

Excellent work UK. My congrats. Wanta make a story out of it. Viz, gun, other fish, solo effort etc,etc.

Dave

Viz was 40ft, and sparkling, water temp was 9deg. I was using my Beauchat 75 with 6.5mm twin barb seateck spear. 5mm suit. I was diving with my father (who was national champion in the late 60's early 70's, and represented GB several times). I also had a 3lb Mullet, loads off mullet in the shallows. I saw a big shoal of Bass serveral times, always on the egde of that amazing viz though. Difficult to tell their size at that range though, but probably none bigger than 5lb. Lots of small Pollock about. Eventually I saw a huge Bass dissapear in a rock and followed it down, about 40ft I guess, in the back end of the tide, so it was still running a bit. As I got to the rock I saw 5 or 6 massive bass. I was slow and deliberate in my movments and never spooked them but they always stayed just out of reach (my 120 Beauchat would have been good!). After the 4th dive to 40ft I settled on top of the rock I thought they were under and looked over the edge. My first Bass looked out from under the rock and I was right over it. Not being sure I was in range (that viz was soooo good) I dropped over the edge of the rock onto it. The Bass sensed I was there and twitched, but to late..... I nailed it in the head dead. I laid on the surface strung the fish and rebreathed and went down again. This time I went right to the bottom and into the cave. I could see an even bigger Bass, but could only see the white of it's belly as it was right up in the roof. I laid my shoulder down on the gravel and waited as long as my breath would hold me there. As I lay there the Bass dropped out of the cave and came 100% into full sight. With the sunlight shining in from the other end of the cave it looked a magnificent fish. I didn't move! I just let it gently drift about in the hole till at last it was right in front of my spear, 6ft away. Wack! It was dinner! As I suface (lungs burning a bit by now) I saw my Dad laying on the surface watching me.... I think I had a good teacher! One day I'd like to pass these skills onto my two sons as well.

Off again tomorrow!!!!!

Where was I??? - Somewhere between Brittany, Dover and Lands Ends :t

Excellent and refreshing report....:head :head
I just going to ask the wife if she won't mind postponing the birth of our 2nd child for another few months...:naughty
The bass are arriving and I'm on due date standby:head :head

Quality fish UK Spearo, hope they graced a BBQ last weekend Thanks for the report, always good to get all the facts...

Glowworm, finally camo'd my gun and said I'd post the pics so here you are....not sure on the advantage it will give but hey ho...
No Mar gun tape with clear acrylic spray layered on top to seal. :martial

Attachments

• camocressi.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 190
There's only one way to see if it makes a difference Surfinspear....give us a pm when you get the chance to get in...

Another day another lobster or 3..

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 207
  • Graphic2.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 190
  • Graphic3.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 170
  • Graphic4.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 173
First Bass of the year yesterday, nice to have an April fish Got a squid too! Bass was about 3lb, very plump and the squid was about the same length. Not convinced by your scales flyflicker!

Reactions: Almostafish
Managed to get in today after a busy weekend but i think i would have been wiser not going in.....a big swell,dropping tide,no vis and no fish.Now i know what swimming in a washing machine would feel like..:head

Reactions: Soul Deep
glowworm said:
Managed to get in today after a busy weekend but i think i would have been wiser not going in.....a big swell,dropping tide,no vis and no fish.Now i know what swimming in a washing machine would feel like..:head

Sorry not to have made it down to those I said I would! Weekend became an alcohol fuelled blur :friday

Glowworm, where did you end up jumping in with those conditions?

Congratulations Willpower, any details about where you caught your bass (e.g. temp, vis etc)?

Oh and Almostafish... Now you’re just showing off You live like a king with fresh lobsters, crab and fish each day (all washed down with copious amounts of decent red I'm sure)... Vis still holding up east side of the Island?

The bass was shoaling with mullet, as the snide ones like to do sometimes. Saw over 100 mullet and just that one bass. Vis was excellent, 12m ish and the sea temp was 10 degrees. The fish came to agachon/aspetto, leading the shoal and for the record i was using the old faithful cressi comanche 90. Chears for the welcome guys, i've been reading you for ages and finally decided to join in. Flyflicker, the fish was swollen with eggs or gonads, although they looked like the fish was re-absorbing them presumably due to an unsuccessful spawning. The behavior/appearance of the fish, its location and the time of year seem to support this, although i didn't like to see it.

Will don't worry too much, remember the fish was swimming with a shoal of mullet, no wonder it hadn't spawned - these cross dressers are all the same!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…