• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
UK Spearo said:
interesting that the bubbly guys are 'legally' allowed to sell their catch!?! European law states that 'no fish can be sold that has been caught by a projectile'. If 'they' are legally allowed to sell thier catch how come the BSA is not allowed to sell fish caught in comps, or individuals allowed to sell their own catch?

In my life time there has always been a few professional scuba divers who catch fish & scallops for a living in Guernsey. You need a commercial licence to legally sell any type of fish in Guernsey. If you are not registered with a fishing licence you can not sell your fish no matter how they are caught. But as far as I now there is no law forbidding the sale of speared fish?

Selling of speared fish is covered by an EU regulation about "exceptional methods of fish capture" It is the same paragraph that bans selling fish caught using explosives or poisons:head
I cant remember the exact wording, but it bans the sale of fish caught using a projectile. There is no further clarification, and no case law, so it could be argued that a handspear is not a projectile (although a spear from a gun obviously is)
A seperate regulation bans the use of non registered vessels in commercial fishing (maximum fine £50000) It is perfectly legal for shore anglers shellfish gatherers or netters to sell their catch without registration (although they would need to declare any income for tax)
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk
www.c-ski.co.uk
www.eliossub.co.uk

UK Spearo said:
interesting that the bubbly guys are 'legally' allowed to sell their catch!?! European law states that 'no fish can be sold that has been caught by a projectile'. If 'they' are legally allowed to sell thier catch how come the BSA is not allowed to sell fish caught in comps, or individuals allowed to sell their own catch?

What projectile??????

Buster Lung said:
What projectile??????
Ok, I'll take the bait ... the spear.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=projectile

pro·jec·tile ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-jktl, -tl)
n.
A fired, thrown, or otherwise propelled object, such as a bullet, having no capacity for self-propulsion.
A self-propelled missile, such as a rocket.

projectile

adj : impelling or impelled forward; "a projectile force"; "a projectile missile" n : a weapon that is thrown or projected [syn: missile]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=projected
v. pro·ject (pr-jkt) pro·ject·ed, pro·ject·ing, pro·jects
v. tr.
To thrust outward or forward: project one's jaw in defiance.
To throw forward; hurl: project an arrow.

pro·pel ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-pl)
tr.v. pro·pelled, pro·pel·ling, pro·pels
To cause to move forward or onward. See Synonyms at push.​
Seems like you'd need to move a spear (even hand spear) forward i.e. project it, for it to work. I guess you could also argue that it is fishing equipment and not a weapon but it might be hard to prove it is not a propelled object. :(

Went in first thing this morning to my local spot.Everything looked perfect no winfd,glass like waters surface the beach to myself then when i got in i found the May bloom had arrived and i struggled to see the end of my gun in some patches.Did see some wrasse,pollack and sandeels during some shallow dives but it was more a case of me dropping on top of them in the green water.

Oh well still going to the FA cup final tomorrow..:friday :friday

Yes the May bloom has arrived and the vis off Portland is pretty bad. Did see a small schoolie and a BIG cuttle fish, not a lot else :(

On the bright side, the vis across Weymouth bay still looks FAB :) (get in quick while it lasts)

Soul Deep -- Ok the stats! So far this year only had 4 bass, 3 with 6mm holes in and one with 0.5mm hole. First, Second, Third by spear at 4lb, 2lb, 2lb. approx weight as gutted and scaled at the scene. Last one was rod & line at 2lb on live prawns. Water temp 10.3 deg (accurate mares nemo). Vis was poor on all, about 3m max. Biggest was the easiest as she deceided to come head on to within a metre and then showed her side. Big mistake. Cooked as fillets by frying in a little olive oil. Fish rolled in plain flour seasoned with mixed herbs and black pepper. Gently fried skin down for 10-12 mins then turned for 6-8 mins. Dash of lemon just before taken from pan. Served with saute potatoes, tomatoes and lettuce. Now you've made me hungry and I gotta go and do it again!

Silent Assassin said:
Soul Deep -- Ok the stats! So far this year only had 4 bass, 3 with 6mm holes in and one with 0.5mm hole. First, Second, Third by spear at 4lb, 2lb, 2lb. approx weight as gutted and scaled at the scene. Last one was rod & line at 2lb on live prawns. Water temp 10.3 deg (accurate mares nemo). Vis was poor on all, about 3m max. Biggest was the easiest as she deceided to come head on to within a metre and then showed her side. Big mistake. Cooked as fillets by frying in a little olive oil. Fish rolled in plain flour seasoned with mixed herbs and black pepper. Gently fried skin down for 10-12 mins then turned for 6-8 mins. Dash of lemon just before taken from pan. Served with saute potatoes, tomatoes and lettuce. Now you've made me hungry and I gotta go and do it again!

Ta very much Assassin. Yum... Read it at the wrong time, can't get any decent grub like that in the city at lunch, soggy lettice sandwiches or need to take out a morgage to eat a sad excuse for a bass at some poncy resturant :rcard

Cool, anyway has anyone got some end of week reports for vis any where round Dorset? Will try and get in this weekend as off to Egypt next week for some freediving fun until mid June...

30 to 35mph winds all week (must eat less curry ;o)..... sea is a bit lumpy, to say the least.....

Bad thing to hear; people have to respect the sea when she is angry, all too often things end in tragedy..................

yeah not good. fancy going for a swim when the waves are crashing in like that. Puts the emergency guys at risk as well. Still tragic.

this weekend is a non starter was going in at durdle door for a look but not with the weather the way it is.
bad job is the death of any swimmer sad to hear about it.
going down to north devon on the surf board instead at least i'll be in the sea!!!:)

Hummph looks like a weekend to gain some brownie points, at least the sea has warmed up to 13c :)

flyflicker said:
sorry I was fishing with a rod! surface popper does what it say's and the bass love em - no pics :(

Fly cast or spin?

I Usually frequent Dorset but had a fly caught Bass of 4½lb last week from N.Wales. Excellent fun on a 6#.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old Man Dave
Thats a good fish on the fly Billy, was it from a boat or shore?

I tend to leave my fly fishing for the rivers and spin/plug fish the sea. I was hoping to catch the 1st of the mayfly this weekend, but the river will be flooded and I can't go diving -- arghhhhh -- shopping has been mentioned already today :(

flyflicker said:
Thats a good fish on the fly Billy, was it from a boat or shore?

Kayak! But usually I fish from the shore. It went well in the deeper water and was the largest of 3 fish caught, on fly that day, by me.

I'm impressed too. I spent last year trying to catch a bass on a surface popper. Nowhere near graduating to the fly yet.

Got one to my feet when it threw the lure. Was beeing tutored by the local expert who caught 13 decent bass ( 4- 6lb) one day in about an hour while I fished beside him for .........not even a follow.

Got over 40 bass with my gun last year though and that was really only until mainly August when I got "bassed out".

So far this year it's only 3 bass so far (best about 5.5lb) from about 17 dives, but it's early and they're just starting.

Old Man Dave said:
Was beeing tutored by the local expert who caught 13 decent bass ( 4- 6lb) one day in about an hour while I fished beside him.

O M Dave

Was his name Darren?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT