• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
naiad said:
I will be in Portland/Weymouth from 3-5 July for some (very shallow) freediving. If anyone else is going we can meet up! It would be nice to see some of the people on this thread.

Lucia
Unfortunately I had to cancel the trip due to other commitments. Maybe one day...

podge said:
Have been in contact with spearo Dave and he’s sorted me out mid to end of July all will be well in the world of podge.

That's great mate but what has Dave sorted for you?

foxfish said:
That's great mate but what has Dave sorted for you?

Sworn to secrecy :naughty
But the draw of the dark side was all to much?????

Yo,
I have a beuchat 50 which I bought off ebay when I first started and after the trip out on sunday with almostafish i can see the big advantage in having a short stubby gun for under the rocks etc. Its fitted with a trident tip but lacks some power, what sort of bands could I get away with fitting as i think it has 14mm bands at the moment?

Jim

Both my guns have Cressi G20s on and they were a big step up from the standard S45s, i would recommend them, very powerful!

A 50cm Beuchat with a 3 pronger and 14mm band bought on ebay is probably a Racasse. I wouldn't recommend fitting thicker rubbers, the trigger is really not up to the job, it may not fail, but it will become very stiff
cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

Cheers Dave,

looks like I may have to invest in a new gun! oh well, never mind, need to try to keep up with podge anyway!

Jim

Reactions: Almostafish
stuckinsurrey said:
Cheers Dave,

looks like I may have to invest in a new gun! oh well, never mind, need to try to keep up with podge anyway!

Jim

Keep up with me won’t ever happen me laddo
The only thing you have that’s bigger is your mortgage and the size of your demolition ball.rofl rofl

StuckInSurrey,
Do you really need more powerful bands? If this is for caves/holes/gulleys seems like more power could be a liability. I'm thinking ricochet/rebound. I guess it would broaden the possible uses of the gun though; although I would heed Spearo Dave. [I keep thinking of the injuries thread. Seemed like several of the accidents involved particularly short guns. Perhaps because they are easier to point at yourself (or maybe because they are often cheaper / more readily available elsewhere, or perhaps folk overpower the triggers or ...)]

Ricochet/rebound..

I have always thought that was the point of aiming..:t

But yes of course I see your point. Even if you did not mention mullering your spear tips on the rock or shooting them straight out the other hole.. Doh!

Keep up with me won’t ever happen me laddo
The only thing you have that’s bigger is your mortgage and the size of your demolition ball.rofl rofl

Harsh but true! Yes, your belly will always be bigger than mine:t

If this is for caves/holes/gulleys seems like more power could be a liability. I'm thinking ricochet/rebound. I guess it would broaden the possible uses of the gun though

I was really just hoping to improve the range really. I guess its horses for courses though and you shouldnt expect (or try to get) lots of range from a 50????? Maybe it would be possible to change the spear to a smaller diameter one (its quite chunky at mo) and probably do away with the trident tip in favour of something more streamlined. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Jim

stuckinsurrey said:
I was really just hoping to improve the range really. I guess its horses for courses though and you shouldnt expect (or try to get) lots of range from a 50?????

I think you've hit the nail on the head there matey (or the spear on the rock!), by over-powering your gun i think you might just end up in a world of jamming triggers, flexing spears, inaccuracy and blunted tips. I'd say save the £15 odd quid you would spend on big rubbers and put it towards your new gun when you decide what you want and need for your type of fishing.

That's funny, I have been thinking about getting a small, low power, trident gun with chunky spear for gulleys/reefs/holes. Maybe you should keep this gun as a cave gun and pick up a nice new 75cm/80cm general purpose gun from a local supplier?

So do you guys with one big one and one little one take both out with you ? or do you guess the vis and pick one.
With two guns I'd be tempted to add in the poncho and cigar!!!

I fish with a Beuchat Mundial 90 for 90% of the time, rarely using the 75. I tend to fish quite deep and hardly ever in the shallows, where perhaps the 75 would be more agile. Maybe I'm used to the longer guns, learning in France where the 75's are used far less. I've never found the 90 a problem, even in swell.

Many reports posted tell of swimming in jap weed in 2 mt of water and stoning 5lb + bass at 2ft !!!...Mates of mine have proved this to work, but I'm getting good size similar fish at between 5-12 mts.....just harder work.

Maybe I'll try this shallow, gut rubbing method too....I just like the
'Jacques Mayol' thing I suppose...

Rob

Reactions: Mr. X
Doc said:
So do you guys with one big one and one little one take both out with you ? or do you guess the vis and pick one.
Sounds like a Spaghetti Western - perhaps you should ask forum member Spaghetti?! (I believe he takes out 2 guns. Personally, I would take only one -- too much cr@p to deal with otherwise.)

Doc said:

If I'm 100% sure about viz I usually only take 1 gun; if not, or if it is new territory to me I will strap a 2nd gun to the float which doesn't really get in the way and is useful to have just in case.

Doc said:

Tried it the poncho doesn’t fit like my wetsuit and the cigar tends to fall to bits after the first dive and to top it all my horse didn’t rate it that highly either.rofl
Nice one Doc
Great reply brightened up my morning.

Reactions: Mr. X
podge said:
Tried it the poncho doesn’t fit like my wetsuit and the cigar tends to fall to bits after the first dive and to top it all my horse didn’t rate it that highly either.rofl
roflYou could probably use this line then...
"I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it. "
- Joe ("The Man with no name" ), A Fist Full of Dollars

Last edited:
Reactions: podge
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…