• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Mr. X said:
"I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it. "
- Joe ("The Man with no name" ), A Fist Full of Dollars

Flea bitten range bums don’t usually stop long in Dorset life here’s a little to quick for um!:)
High plains drifter

Doc said:
So do you guys with one big one and one little one take both out with you ? or do you guess the vis and pick one.
With two guns I'd be tempted to add in the poncho and cigar!!!

If i'm out with the float then usually the spare gun gets strapped to that, i've had a couple of trips end early due to broken wishbones/rubbers and i find spares are more difficult to carry around and fit than a second gun. It also allows a change in tactics if/when your original plan goes to pot.

If, however, the float is 'impractical' for an area then i generally make the wrong choice before going out based mainly on poor judgement (but at least it provides an excuse!).

Also, the 90 is very useful for shallow work (even in weed), if the bottom is close the horizontal range can still be long...

Any vis reports from around the coast?I looked in at newtons cove today and it looked pretty dismal about 1-2 meters at best:head

Mr. X said:
Sounds like a Spaghetti Western - perhaps you should ask forum member Spaghetti?! (I believe he takes out 2 guns. Personally, I would take only one -- too much cr@p to deal with otherwise.)
Always 2 guns (or sometimes 3). My most used combo's:
-100 bandgun with reel and a short pneumatic (when guessing good viz and possible cave fish).
-75 band with and 60 band with threaded shaft (when guessing bad viz and possible cave fish: the 60 cm bandgun becomes primary gun if visibility shows to be worse than bad).
--Two guns or more is quite a normal habit for spearos in my country, especially in certain areas where visibility is a problem, but I don't think that you english friends :)inlove ) should take italian habits as an example to follow. It's also a matter of terrain and fish: we're more concerned on cave fish (sargo bream, conger, grouper, octopus, murenas and others) than you are.
--I think that for the same reason we all use a reel on our longer guns, while you english friends normally don't: mullets and bass don't require a reel, while bluefish and amberjacks do (and we always HOPE to find any of these two by chance: that's the only reason why we mount reels :martial ).

Reactions: Mr. X
Just had a thought! if I go the whole hog and wear a steel plate round my neck I can ditch the lead!!

Now how to keep my fins in the water HMMM??

Off to weymouth tonight hope to see some of you tomorrow in the water maybe if not at the chesil cove inn in the evening

Cheers

glowworm said:
Any vis reports from around the coast?I looked in at newtons cove today and it looked pretty dismal about 1-2 meters at best:head

Twas good this evening.

Another three today. Note to self; get a bigger freezer. :t

Thanks for the vis report Buster...

Note to self; try hitting bassrofl rofl

glowworm said:
Thanks for the vis report Buster...

Note to self; try hitting bassrofl rofl

And have your weetabix next time we go to Ringstead.....rofl
.....twas good this evening too Buster....:t

Last edited:
It was a good day surfnspear....if we swam another mile or so we would have made normandyrofl rofl

Just back from weymouth this weekend. Beer with fearthespear at lunchtime and a dip in the evening.So keen to get going managed to leave my card behind the bar all day.Followed his lead and got a lift in a rib past balaclava bay. Looked really promising but really quiet bass wise one skittish shoal of mullett high and wide. gone by the time I'd turned. Spotted a big dark grey back in the weed but on closer inspection it belonged to a conger!
Eventually one solitary bass obliged. Saved face at the BBQ at least.
Back in the rib it turned out my driver wondered why sometimes i had a snorkel and sometimes not? Didn't understand until a seal popped up.
Anyway zoomed back over the Hood but resisted the temptation to have a look.
Shame really but I'll be back in august for a week while the lad is sailing so will have another dip then. Till then back to bovisand ledges!

There is a Porbeagle on the west side up from Pulpit rock. I just saw a flash of him when I was in the kelp. All the fish are super jumpy and the viz was not great. Still got a nice bass and a 4lb crab. :)

Almostafish said:
There is a Porbeagle on the west side up from Pulpit rock. I just saw a flash of him when I was in the kelp. All the fish are super jumpy and the viz was not great. Still got a nice bass and a 4lb crab. :)

Nice crab mate that’ll do me nicely
Mrs Rogers would be most impressed!:)

Crabs and lobbys are quite thick on the ground at the momment so no probs there.. See you Sunday!

A Porbeagle ere - wondered why I hadn't seen a thing in a 4hr, 4 mile swim!!! Best I get my big gun and float out and go get some shark steaks :p

Reactions: podge
UK Spearo said:
A Porbeagle ere - wondered why I hadn't seen a thing in a 4hr, 4 mile swim!!! Best I get my big gun and float out and go get some shark steaks :p

UK Spearo you nail it and I’ll cook it.
Would be one hell of a BBQ
Porbeagle and bass fish cakes in a bun where’s Hugh Furnley Whittingstall
When you need him!!!!

Careful or youll be drinking whisky all night and saying " now there's a scar!" and singing the "spanish lady"
now youve guessed the movie all the sequels were c**p I reckon. Maybe its a publicity thing for the 30th anniversary or somethingrofl

Doc, the only thing I’d need if I saw it would be a prescription for something to GIVE me constipation
And as for the mad man UK Spearo who’s not afraid of anything
And I quote from the film Predator
"There’s something down there and it ante no man"

Shark steaks... Bloody water skiing more like! You send a shaft into a 250lb mackerel shark ( Same family as a white pointer ) and you is just going to piss it off :crutch

Funny as Fk though if I see UK spearo fly past me with a look of mild concern on his face as he gets dragged towards the shambles at 25 knots by a dirty great Porbeagle!! LAff!!:t

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT