• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Ya cant shoot salmon or sea trout and your a very bad bod if you spear shellfish!

I understand what you are on about when you chundered and felt strange, I had a " Water drunk " thing, I came out from west side the other day after spending 2-3hours around in the weed and kelp and felt like i had had quite a few pints of that broadside stuff, I did not feel sick, but it made climbing up the rocks and driving home quite fun.. Must be the movement of the plants and water wot does in the ears old chap! hope its nothing more than a that..

B:)

The "water Drunk" thing could be either Labyrinthine dysfunction ie the balance mechanism playing silly buggers with you just as being sea sick or that beach game spinning roung a cricket stump sets off nausea and vomiting. if so CINNARIZINE 15mg 3 times daily blocks it while it settles usually within 5 days. 4 weeks is a bit rash.
The other option is postural hypotension / hypovolaemia. you have 5 litres of blood but enough vessels in one leg to hold all 5L. The constant hydostatic pressure when in water tends to allow our blood vessels to dilate so when you get out you faint or nearly do. To make things work the hormone that stops you pissing switches off when in water,Ever wondered why you always need to go after 20mins in the water? thats why. we lose fluid so our blood volume depletes further. This happened to me after a night out on the piss then 2 hours in a lolloping chop. felt awful in the water and did an Elvis Costello on exit.
This is why we always rescue in the water victims horizontally. We learnt the lesson in the Fastnet disaster when loads of live lifts went dead out of water.
Any way now you know why I call myself Doc!!

I'm in weymouth this weekend as my son is sailing love to meet up and have a dip if you experts can tolerate an enthusiastic novice!

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks for that Doc, i've got some different pills to those you suggest but we'll see how they do... Weymouth is an excellent place for spearing. I'll be happy to meet this weekend although i'll be watching:rcard. I'm sure there will be others who'll go with you...

Youve probably been given SERC or betahistine tabs same sort of effect but you have to have a prescription. Cinnarizine is usually marketed over the counter as Stugeron and is cheaper than a script.
I'll be at the sailing acadamy in a camper van so wont be able to park up in laybys that easily. It would be nice to meet up with some of you. ill bring my gear
Steve

Crumbs! between Doc & Stevew we have got our own consultation team.:)

Bad luck Fearthespear :head :head Hope the doc is right and you get back in before te 4 weeks.

Doc i could be up for a dive on saturday afternoon just send me a pm.

Just hope the wind forcast doesn't mess the vis up too much..

Hey Fear, I seemed to get a unusual bout of what you mention end of last year and had the working week to recover. Hydrating a lot more than usual just before the dive helped me a lot and is still helping me now as no recurrence this year. But nice to have the Doc lay it out in terms like that! Glowworm will remember my face looking green as his avatar...:yack :D

The doc has given me Prochlorperazine. I've got to take it until the symptoms go... Day off work today but back at it tomorrow so we'll see how it goes...

I expect i'll be having a rod and line fish at the weekend but would be happy to meet up for an hour or two. Good pub at chesil cove...

Yep know the one as I stopped in there last time is was down. I'll be wearing the white carnation and carrying a copy of the telegraph rofl

Doc said:
The "water Drunk" thing could be either Labyrinthine dysfunction ie the balance mechanism playing silly buggers with you just as being sea sick or that beach game spinning roung a cricket stump sets off nausea and vomiting. if so CINNARIZINE 15mg 3 times daily blocks it while it settles usually within 5 days. 4 weeks is a bit rash.

Had Labyrinthitis once (similar I guess). Lasted for around a week. Spent the first few days crawling around the house using walls to prop myself up :) It sometimes re-occurs for a day or so. Not fun. The really scary thing was that my wife developed Neuritis shortly afterwards. The docs reconed my Labyrinthitis kick started it. The poor sweetheart was in the hospital for a few weeks on a drip, unable to eat, drink or move.

O.k. guys its new gun time, I’m going to buy two one smallish for rummaging around rocks and one bigger possibly a 90 for the more open water stuff. I’ve already got a 75 band gun that I have got on with fine, so here’s the question what do I go for???
We all know that anakin foxfish sith lord from the dark side:martial likes his mamba pneumatic as do a lot more off you so at the moment the 90 will probably be one of those but how about the 50. Almostafish the little 50 that you use looked ok but as I had a head full of water and was high on aspetto I can’t remember what it was?
So come on blokes give it to me what do you all use apart from UK Spearo who I think must use voodoo magic as the man never fails.:)

podge said:
O.k. guys its new gun time, I’m going to buy two one smallish for rummaging around rocks and one bigger possibly a 90 for the more open water stuff. I’ve already got a 75 band gun that I have got on with fine, so here’s the question what do I go for???
We all know that anakin foxfish sith lord from the dark side:martial likes his mamba pneumatic as do a lot more off you so at the moment the 90 will probably be one of those but how about the 50. Almostafish the little 50 that you use looked ok but as I had a head full of water and was high on aspetto I can’t remember what it was?
So come on blokes give it to me what do you all use apart from UK Spearo who I think must use voodoo magic as the man never fails.:)

I have a 50cm Sporasub Viper from years ago which I have hardly ever used in UK. In Spain I have used it successfully for Sargo (bream) which are usually found in holes/cracks etc. and a short gun with enough penetrative power to get the fish and not destroy the spear is essential. I don't know if anyone else in UK bothers with such a short gun; I would say stick with a 75cm and a 90cm gun and you should cover off most eventualities.

I've got a Picasso Century 60 to go with my Cressi Comanche 90, it seems pretty good for close quarters (when i can't twist the 90 enough for a shot and still be confident of not shooting myself in the foot/leg/arm/groin) but the range is much less than that of the 90 (as you lose 30cm of line twice along the barrel and the spear is shorter) although with 20mm rubbers the spear doesn't drop at all along a shot and seems very accurate to the end of the line. If you've got a 75 i personally wouldn't bother getting anything else shorter unless you're serious about an airgun with a reducer to allow close range work without wrecking the spear - i've got no experience of airguns but am getting more and more tempted by a Cressi Star SL the more i read about them on here... (anyone got a cheap second hand one going? PM me!). My main recommendation would be getting out and working with what you've got until you can see all its short-comings, then you'll know what will work best for you (which is all that matters)!

I lost count of how many guns I have - but out of all of them I rarly use anything other than my trusty Beauchat 75. It does everything from hole fishing to open water. I raley use my 90, makes it hard work pulling the gun round in the tide. You just need to stay down a little longer and be a little more patient. In the winter I go down to my Beuchat 60.

I tend to use my 90 and 120 Beachats in the Med or Azores!

Even when we had 60ft viz here the other week my 90 would have been no good as most of the good fish were either miles away (they see you and stay well out of range) or were hiding in holes. I had my best fish (9 and 10lbs Bass) so far this year out of caves with my 75.

My advise, is get a good 75, put thick ribbers on it and a thin spear and stick with it. I use 22mm (Picasso) rubbers, 6.5mm (Seateck) spear and have an added spear guide on my gun (else the thick rubbers bend the spear and make it jump as it comes out of the gun).

Just get what suits you. I have had all sorts of guns before and they are mostly all good (the branded ones) you just need to find one that fits in your hand well (the handles are all different shapes and sizes) and the angle of the handle in relation to the tube varies as well. I can't hit a barn door with a Cressi for instance! nothing wrong with them it's just I don't get on with them.

Good luck!

check this site for cheep gear.

http://www.scubaland.fr/index.php3

click on the Union Jack and it's all in English.

or check out Dave Thomasson in Cornwall he is helpful

www.UKspearo.co.uk

or Portland Oceanerring

http://www.portlandoceaneering.co.uk/

again very helpful in there......

Reactions: Mr. X
Looked in Portland harbour last night - was going to see if my son could get his 1st Bass - water was horrid (I could have dived it - but it would have put my 11yr old off) so we went home. Wind forecast for the next few days is bad!

Hey Podge

My little 50 is a Omer millenium and is more speargun erotica than anything else! I like to use to so i have to work on gettng the fish in that close, and its fantastic under rocks and in holes.. When there is something there.

As I said your 75's are fine untill you move onto the next level but if its a case of toys then thats a totally diferent matter :) My cressi 100SL is a fine gun and my Asso 115 is also exellent but is a bit of a sod to move in anything apart from a following tide. You do also tend to cut the fish in half with them. The Asso 65 was great until its shuttle broke and parts became hard to find and my Cressi 60 is also good now that I have 20mm rubbers and a titanium shaft on it. The new Beachat 75 i have looks to be very nice but it has not been in the water yet!

Takes yer pick :)

O.K guys first Spaniard I was looking for a 50 just for that ( hole fishing )
Which answers 1 shot,1 kill while hole spearing I can’t see that I will need to much range or is that not the case?
UK Spearo you’ve had um all, used um all and now use mostly a 75 (apart from the voodoo) but like you said its what feels right to the end user and on Sunday in the rocks I felt that my 75 was to awkward or may be that’s lack of experience.
Almostafish you got it in two "its fantastic under rocks and in holes" and I guess it is a bit of a toy thing although a toy thing with a purpose.
Great stuff guys and thanks for the input.
Paul.

Can't beat an air gun for use in holes. Not with the mamba kit though, thats for open water. Get a nice stocky 50/60 cm gun with an 8mm spear and twin barb head. The beuty of air guns is their short range punch and their rugged nature. Also you can fire then at strange angles in tight corners. Not recommended to fire a band gun next to your ear in a small hole, if you like your ears that is, also the band gun will soon be wrecked. Still it is everyone to their own and this is just my two pence worth.

Dave :) .

Old Man Dave
You’re another one that kill’s more than most and your two pence worth is much appreciated.
Have been in contact with spearo Dave and he’s sorted me out mid to end of July all will be well in the world of podge.:) :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT