• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Now that’s something I would pay to see up on his fins giving it the 360 spin and gaining big air from the tops of the swell.
Buster lung nice cartoon the only thing missing is the brown wetsuit.

I'd have to have my mates Omera 110 Compressed air gun (more like cannon!) and my 'game' float.... and a armour suit on though! Got followed by Mr Porbeagle two years ago, does make you a little uneasy I have ot say!

Enough, it's Radipole Lake for me on Thursday - hang on there's pike in there - eak - Weymouth swimming pool here I come

flyflicker said:
Enough, it's Radipole Lake for me on Thursday - hang on there's pike in there - eak - Weymouth swimming pool here I come

Count me in! I'm allergic to fish with big teeth!:t

flyflicker said:

Radipole lake has got dead swans in it. You'll end up catching bird flu...........

.........and as for Weymouth swimming pool, rumour has it that's where MRSA started.

Went in with Almostafish today for a dive.A good dive in an area which i had previously not dived as i thought it was a bit of a desert and held no fish.To my great suprise 2-3lb ballan wrasse were there as were shoals of small pollock,sandeels,smelt,edible crab and large spider crabs. Didn't see any bass or mullet just to make a change.I did collect nine scallops with an oyster and some cockles(three of the scallops i picked up were just empty shells )While i was collecting the scallops i spotted a thornback ray of about 7-8lbs sat on the sand.Didn't see the flattie i was after but still a good dive.Almostafish weighed in with a good haul of giant scallops and he also reported seeing a thornback ray (none of his scallops were empty shells).A nice dive in good company and an adventure to go somewhere new for me.

Warning!!!!!!!!!

Spotted this on a sign at the top of Castle Cove Steps!

Weymouth Port Health Authority

Your advised not to eat mussels, clams, oysters, scallops or other bivalves Molluscs taken from waters northern part of Portland Harbour, Weymouth Harbour & Newtons Cove.

The shellfish may have been affected by natural occurring poisons that can cause illness in people. :yack

Chief Port Health Officer
9th June 2006​

Only two small bass swam up to me and said Hi, mullet over the sand (2 feet deep!) and huge shoals of smelt everywhere.

Glowworm great stuff.
I’d swear that almostafish has got gills.
Down this weekend with stuckinsurrey hope you’ve left some for us.

Flyflicker that’s a bit on the worrying side any idea what it could be?

Toxins from the algea blooms and they ain't very nice toxins -

enjoy the scallops Almost & Glowworm and don't forget to sing the Three Degrees Hit - When Will I See You Again - SOONER THAN YOU THINK!

I swoped my haul for a romantic dinner for two at the crab shack.. I had conger in a dark choc sauce and Claire had more prawns than she could eat!

Might have been a very good move then! I will give you more info on friday night after UK Spearo have had a plunder and a munch. We will leave some for the rest of ya but we just wont tell you where they are!!

dived all day the 'aslmostafish' yesterday. Not much seen! We both saw a big bass each but neither of us could get near them. I ened the day with 2 Bass a Pollock (all about 2lbs) and a Cuttle fish. 'Almost' had a Bass about 3lb. The we moved places and I got 2 nice Flounder. So, all in all and hard work out, we were both diving to about 17mtrs and finding nothing. Not a single Mullet was seen either. We were in the water for about 7 1/2 hrs!

A days break today (well out of the water anyway....) and a 6hr comp tomorrow. lets hope for more fish there!

dive Safe.
Clive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. X
Well done to you both Opera was amazing on such a spectacular evening.
I went out yesterday morning Vis was great until I got to around 7m then it was like pea soup. Had a bass, another span off the spear before I could get my hands on it and saw one around 6lbs, but missed it!

First decent bass!

Thought now was the time to post a big thank you to all the old heads on this thread. I have been reading all your advice and exploits for a while now and soaking up all your experience. it all paid off this morning with a nice bass of 4.5lb.
I speared it between West bay and Eype beach 100 yards out in about 5m of water. vis was pretty good, about 5m. Had had a great dive with some big Wrass and lots of decent Pollock but nothing worth shooting. On the way back in after about an hour coming up from the bottom saw a group of 3 or four good sized bass mid water. One just came comming closer and closer... turned about 3 feet away and... finally had my first decent bass. Me and a mate have been spearing around this area for about a year, learning as we go and reading this thread for tips and much needed help.
Thanks guys.

- Dinner!

Well done Tiger and keep it up (or should that be down!) I bagged another today from a reef, that only last year was way too deep for me - so practice & more practice, especially over the winter months, chilly but well worth it.

Took my nephew to Portland Bill spearing today.I did one drift past pulpit rock but vis was not as good as expected.Plenty of mullet about but i left them all alone while looking for bass.Only three small schoolies spotted with the usual pollock and wrasse.I did see one ballan wrasse of about 2lbs with a long fresh scar down it's right side which looked like it came from a spear.Fish looked non the worse for its wound but still a shame too see.Looked hard for lobsters under some ledges but no luck.Reports of some gilthead bream in Portland harbour and one of the lobster pots had two large black bream filleted in them as bait.New suit should be here this week so maybe this will bring a change in fortunesrofl rofl

Did see another spearo getting out beneath Portland lighthouse i wonder if it is anybody on the DB forum???

Re: First decent bass!

Well done mate that's a nice bass.

Hi everybody,

Had a great day out yesterday with Almostafish and Podge. Bought some new fins (cressi garas) ,was amazed by the difference compared to my last pair. I now have a much more mellow action which can only be a good thing - have always been a bit of a thrasher!

Got in off the west side of portland and had a good morning looking under rocks. Managed to see some crabs and lobsters hidden away under the rocks - too far under for me to get out, but was very lucky and managed to catch one running along the sand in the open! Very pleased as this was my first! Wahoo! Also managed to shoot my first bass, small but so so pleased!

Was great to get in off Portland as always been a bit fearful of the tides so never bothered before. Some great ground we swam over, very rocky and kelpy in about 3 metres of water.

Went to Newtons cove in the afternoon, visibility wasnt as good but we did see some mullet, one of which went home with almostafish!

Brilliant day out (thanks to Almostafish) in great company and well worth the hideous 4 hr journey back to London. Think that everybody went to the seaside yesterday! :t

Well Stuckinsurrey just about summed it up great day out with the bass and the lobster going to Jim (I hope Mrs Evens rewarded you suitably for your hunter gathering skill’s)
Nothing for me yesterday but they will be there for next time.
Almostafish a big thankyou for all your help and advice and if I can return the favour just let me know.
I will always remember to-
Hydrate, relax, Hydrate, get my head right in there, Hydrate, don’t shoot at sharks, Hydrate, learn to read a tide chart, Hydrate, try not to dive alone and of course Hydrate.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…