• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Just spent the last weekend back in my old home town in Guernsey, spearfishing with Mart (Foxfish). Lots of bass and golden grey mullet about but missed my first 8 shots- put the blame on it being my first time out with my new Mamba, great power but a little difficult to aim at first to say the least, kept longing for my old rubber powered Immersion!
Spent sunday AM diving on a favourite spot on the west coast and came across the biggest seal I have ever seen who just wanted to play. Spent at least an hour with him, he was very freindly and curious and began copying my movements or so it seemed. Being face to face at about 18 inches from something about 8 foot long and as large round as a barrel was quite something. Foxfish got out to get a photo as I coaxed him in to the shallows but the results were not great (see Guernsey thread) his bloody phone went off at the vital time! Incredible experience but the seal made sure there were no bass shot that dive.

Reactions: foxfish
guys, whats the legal size limit for bass? I speared my first last weekend, and it seemed pretty big underwater, but when I weighed it it was just under 2lbs and I felt really bad, because I seem to remember hearing that you're only allowed to take bass over 2.5 lbs. I ate it and it was lush, but it made me think that I really need to have a better idea of what I should and shouldn't be pointing my spear at. Are there any websites out there? A quick google search didn't turn much up...

Went for a short dive today.Walked for twenty minutes in my suit to get to the right spot.Felt like a boil in the bag meal when i got to the sea.Spotted a bass in some jap weed but a first i couldn't make out if he was a ballan wrasse or bass so i didn't shoot straight away and by the time i had a good view of him he had the same of me and off he went.Vis again was not as good as i had expected considering the weather we have had recently.After a short aspetto on a reef 4 very small bass appeared and spent at least 10 minutes hanging around beneth and behind me.I did manage to find a bass of about 3lb in some string weed sitting beneth me in about 3 meters so i took aim and shot him through the top of his head.I must say that Monsuier Dessault really needs a round of applause for creating the Quattro Carbone gun.There was no noise no fuss and i was just amazed how accurate and powerfull the gun was.

Last edited:
Forgot to add that the bass was very fat and he had two shore crabs in his stomach when i gutted him.

Milkman its the length not the weight you need to know.Minimun size for bass is 36cm but the British Spearfishing Association and some counties ask for 45cm.Like most animals thay can be very long and thin or very short and fat.

Did see one lone Golden Grey Mullet as well it looked almost transparent on the sand.

glowworm said:
Milkman its the length not the weight you need to know.Minimun size for bass is 36cm but the British Spearfishing Association and some counties ask for 45cm.Like most animals thay can be very long and thin or very short and fat.

thanks for that, glowworm I think I might just have got away with it on length - it was about 36ish, but won't be spearing something that small again. Excitement got the better of me as it was my first bass...

Gentleman of Dorset,
Would any of you know anything about Tilly Whim?
Such as where to park?
How far is the walk to an entry point?
Best state of tide to fish?
Depth of water and sea bed topography?
And most of all what’s there to spear or pick up (bass, lobster)

podge said:
Gentleman of Dorset,
Would any of you know anything about Tilly Whim?
Such as where to park?
How far is the walk to an entry point?
Best state of tide to fish?
Depth of water and sea bed topography?
And most of all what’s there to spear or pick up (bass, lobster)

Podge...that's my normal dive......click back on this thread to page 29...;)

glowworm said:
Went for a short dive today.Walked for twenty minutes in my suit to get to the right spot.
I did manage to find a bass of about 3lb in some string weed sitting beneth me in about 3 meters so i took aim and shot him through the top of his head.

Wooo Hoooo...!:friday :martial Johnno you are back in the zone!:ko
P.S...20mins walk...Mmmm...would that be....;)

SurfnSpear said:
Podge...that's my normal dive......click back on this thread to page 29...;)

SurfnSpear
Had a look back though and found some good stuff also checked out google.
Looks pretty good and thanks for the info.
Also spoken to my mate about Sunday and he likes the look of Kimmeridge so it’ll be one of the two.

gents - Defra law is Bass should be 36cm. The BSA set there rules it above that at 40cm and 45cm (for the Sussex area to help keep good relationships with the the fisheries).

Dived today with 'Almost' 'Flyficker' and my Dad. I did some drifts in the thumping tide. Saw a stack of fish, and some really big Bass, but wouldn't come in close. Ended up taking 4 of about 4lbs..... Seems I had the fish round me cos no one else saw much... had Mullet all round me most of the time but left them alone.

Nice one guys, thanks for that.

The dive was great though. Absolutely beautiful reef with the most amazing seaweeds on the inside and further out, white sandy patches interspersed with these big columns of weed. Viz was about 4-5m even with a bit of a southeasterly blowing. Saw the biggest wrasse I've ever laid eyes on. In fact it was so big I'm not even sure it was a wrasse. It would have been at least 60cm and really thick set, kinda browny with green speckles. Looked like a ballan wrasse to me but I didn't think they got that big - any ideas what it could have been?

There were absolutely tons of bass out there, some really good sized ones as well, but I missed all but 2. And the first of the 2, which was bigger, wriggled off my spear before I could pull it in. The end of my spear (cressi sub beginners bit of rubbish) is a bit blunt. Does it help if it's sharper or is it just because the rubbers are rubbish? Of course it might be a case of the old workman and his tools scenario ;)

Last edited:
You're only jealous, Nemo!! :koToot toot! And besides, you have massive hands!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I havn't posted on here for well over a year, been out of spearfishing for a while whilst setting up a new business in Weymouth and fishing quite a bit.

Anyway, i'm hoping to get back into the swing of it now and was wondering if anyone had ever bothered with Overcombe Reef, it always looks fishy but i've never got round to having a look, shame as its only 10mns walk from my house!

Steve

HI Steve,

Overcombe reef has a few Wrasse on it and some spider crabs (this time of year anyway). Not much else though. You might be lucky and find the odd Bass or beyound the reef I suspect you'll find some flounder or other flaties. The trouble is that beach gets busy with people and I think they scare the fish away. I used to dive that reef as a youngster and never saw much (like you was only a 15min walk from where my parents live.) Where you might find some Bass is right at the other end of the reef by Pontins Holiday camp. Go to the end of the beach and out of the bay to the first point on the left. There is some srting weed there and I have had a couple nice Bass and mullet in there before now. Years since I have dived there though. And .... Watch out for the yet skies there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Mr. X
the_milkman said:
Nice one guys, thanks for that.

The dive was great though. Absolutely beautiful reef with the most amazing seaweeds on the inside and further out, white sandy patches interspersed with these big columns of weed. Viz was about 4-5m even with a bit of a southeasterly blowing. Saw the biggest wrasse I've ever laid eyes on. In fact it was so big I'm not even sure it was a wrasse. It would have been at least 60cm and really thick set, kinda browny with green speckles. Looked like a ballan wrasse to me but I didn't think they got that big - any ideas what it could have been?

There were absolutely tons of bass out there, some really good sized ones as well, but I missed all but 2. And the first of the 2, which was bigger, wriggled off my spear before I could pull it in. The end of my spear (cressi sub beginners bit of rubbish) is a bit blunt. Does it help if it's sharper or is it just because the rubbers are rubbish? Of course it might be a case of the old workman and his tools scenario ;)

If the gun/rubbers are old, get some new ones; check the rubber for signs of perishing, especially around the screw ends. A sharp spear is essential, just use a metalwork file, the steel is quite easy to file. If you have a cressi gun you can buy new rubbers/parts at Portland Oceaneering

Steve T - caught plenty of bass on plug and bait round there - head towards Red Cliff, but like Spearo says, best very early in the morning before it get busy.

Re Portland Oceaneering - not much Cressi spares in at the mo - more due in next 5 days, I know I'm after a new wishbone :)

Last edited:
Spaniard said:
If the gun/rubbers are old, get some new ones; check the rubber for signs of perishing, especially around the screw ends. A sharp spear is essential, just use a metalwork file, the steel is quite easy to file. If you have a cressi gun you can buy new rubbers/parts at Portland Oceaneering

Thanks for that. I bought it new from Portland about 4 months ago, so the rubbers are not perished, just thought that as it was an entry level gun they might be a bit thinner and less powerful than on more advanced guns. I'm still rubbish though and can't catch a cold so won't be upgrading 'til I've at least paid for the cressi gun in bass!! The spear came quite blunt new (I was surprised as I had a very very sharp polespear) so thought that was how it should be but will file it now - thanks for the tip (no pun intended! :))

Cheers guys, will try and give it a go round Redcliffe area soon.

Flyflicker, have you had any decent size bass around that way, I'm always looking for new spots for fishing/diving. I had an 11 lber on bait last autumn from Preston Beach, nice fish, put up a decent scrap aswell!

Steve

Any thoughts on this weekends weather forecast? Having casually opted not to spear last week :duh (darn, forgot football & tennis were on -- roads were probably quiet(?)), I was planning to go this weekend. Looking at the forecast though, I am thinking things are going to be a little blustery:(. The BBC forecast was misleading last time but this forecast seems a little more foreboding. Any locations good under such conditions? May have to skip it again.

(Glowworm, did you sponge paint the camo on your fins? Looks good.)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT