• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
You may like to come during a spring tide? I have all the dates for 2006.
Gas is not popular for central heating. Bottled gas is obviously used for cooking BBQ heat lamps etc, we have a company caller Kosangas they supply butane gas.

OK mate, there are spring tides every two weeks but July 15th & 16th (sat sun) a 9.1 . Aug 12 13 (sat sun) a 9.9. Sep 9 10 (sat sun) a 10.3. (that is a big one). To be honest any tide can be good, you may want to avoid the spring algae!

Are spring tides the best to fish or will any tide produce.The July dates are the week before the BSA competitions localy so i will need to practice.August might be a good shout but later from when you said.

I guess it depends on what you want to do or catch? Just pick your time, we will catch something edible! having said that spring tides always offer opportunities that see me taking time off work!!!

P.S. Are you one half of the Ben and Will bass killing parnership from the spearo BBQ? Just seeing some of your posted pics...
If you are...I seem to remember you taking a few pics at the event last year and out on the duck. Do you have them to post?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Well here they are at last Surfnspear! Will managed to dig them out of his computer along with a piccy of a bass from Osmington. Remember us bigging up this place for early season fish??

Looking forward to this years' spearo barby, maybe you guys might catch something this year (cough!):)
View attachment 7654

View attachment 7655

View attachment 7656

Last edited:
Ok...OK...we'll all try to catch more this year and not leave it up to the bass partniship fearthespear rofl rofl

I have posted on the Guernsey 2006 thread that i would like to visit Guernsey between 18th - 20th August this year.I will be taking my car(verso) so i will have room for another 3-4 people.Got some scary quotes from condor ferries leaving weymouth but have since managed to find some deals and special offers.Would be nice to get the tickets booked early so anybody else intrested in a mini invasion :)

Maybe we could talk Ben into taking us to Guernsey in the dukw..I'm sure the local's would love to see us turn up on the beach in that rofl rofl

Mr. X said:
...The clincher was the tides. I got really confused about the tides at Portland....Or did I just catch one of those discontinuities in the tide that occur near the solent?
I picked up a fisherman's Tide Timetable from Denning Tackle last time I was near Chesil. There are a few interesting snippets of info. (it actually predicts which fish will be where & when too :)):

"Between Start Point and Portland the tidal curve gradually becomes more distorted especially onthe rising tide. The rise is relatively fast for the first hour after low water and there is a noticeable slackening in the rate of rise for the next 11/2 hours, after which the rapid rate of rise is resumed. There is often a stand at high water...Double low waters occur between Portland and Lulworth Cove. [In fact low water is often not the lowest water...check the internet graphs or go take look yourself] Owing to the complicated variations in the tide between Portland and Portsmouth, the time and height differences for these place will give only approximate predictions."

Also for Dorset:
Bass min. size is 41cm
Specimen bass size: 9lb 8oz /4.3Kg

UK records:
Boat record (Kent): 19lb 9oz / 8.876 Kg
Shore record (Kent): 19lb 0z/8.618 Kg

FearTheSpear -- did you use many of those Grenades in the box at the back?

Last edited:
FearTheSpear -- did you use many of those Grenades in the box at the back?

Damn straight...gotta get them somehow!!!

Cheers for the pictures Ben, I do remember you telling us about that place for fish. Visited, but never actually got into the water there, but 2006 is a new year. Had some success yesterday with shooting and got some partridge and pheasant, but I am sure looking forward to some bass.

Regards

SurfnSpear said:
Cheers for the pictures Ben, I do remember you telling us about that place for fish. Visited, but never actually got into the water there, but 2006 is a new year. Had some success yesterday with shooting and got some partridge and pheasant, but I am sure looking forward to some bass.

Regards
Nice! So its Surfshootnspear now then??!!

Does anyone know what colour float flag the BSA require for their competitions? There seem to be two designs available, the red with diagonal white stripe and the half blue half white one. Are they interchangeable or is one an international/european one? Thought i'd ask before i bought the wrong one!

The cressi or spetton float both have blue flags on them 1shot 1kill and don't forget your compass....

glowworm said:
The cressi or spetton float both have blue flags on them 1shot 1kill and don't forget your compass....
Portland Oceaneering had some float with both flags on, one below the other, when I was in there a couple of weeks ago. Not such a great idea -- they were really small flags & it looks like you might be Nelson sending "England expects..."! ;)

Do you think this weekend might be worth a try? I need to take my February dip!

For those that are interested. To enter a BSA comp, equipment wise you will need;a float with blue white flag, bouy line with anchor, your float should also have a fish stringer attached, watch, compass. Your gun or float should be marked with fish sizes so that you don't land undersize fish (do this some time before the comps start to get some practice of the right size fish.) At least one gun, most carry two, a knife (safety and fish, conger dispatching). Some also take water out in a bottle, a torch at some venues. You must also off-course have an adequate suit, first comp this year is at Bognor in May.Six hours is a long time in the waterif you are cold. The fog can also come down at this time of year and thats why you must have a compass.

Kev

Does your watch and compass have to be attached to the float???
I have a D3 with a compass on the strap.Will this be ok???

I use exactly the same set up, D3 with a very small suanto £5.00 compass glued to the strap. but both can be attached to you bouy if you want, no rules about were they are, as long as they are there.

Thanks for the info KWM.Just one more question if i may..How do you mark fish sizes on your float or gun and keep them there???Any pictures of your flaot or gun set up with the marks would be helpfull.Don't want to get it wrong.:naughty :naughty

Use a bit of tape around the gun, or paint/draw on marks with water proof pen. Some have made up stickers which can be attached to gun or float. It only has to be very simple.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT