• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Spot the SEA bass..

Attachments

• Bass.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Grey-Mullet.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Brown-Crab.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Sea-Bass.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 171
  • Squid.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 168
Sorry I cant recognise any of those fish, it seems to me all the ones I see have a 5' long thin protrusion comming out of their heads!

Reactions: Almostafish

Thanks for the info and yes a dive in Oct.sounds good.
Has any one else fished this area Bridport etc?

I agree fox, there are too many people giving dodgy advice on the forums.

Jurassic – I suspect not many people dive here because of the prevailing winds causing bad vis, but like fear says it’s all wonderful ground and one that needs exploring, with both spear & rod

jurrasic said:
Have just moved near Bridport. Have any of you speared around this area Hive beach, Burton Bradstock, West Bay etc. Any info would be most helpful.

I have a mate who lives in Beer who is nuts about spearing; I'm sure he would go out with you in that area

Sounds like most of my spearing will be round portland while waiting for clear seas round this area.
Fly flicker what is the trout fishing like round this area is it lake or river ?
I used to flyfish lakes and lure fish for the pike.

There a few lakes best are Chew or Blagdon- My friend had 9 pike while fly fishing for trout on Blagdon Sunday, so it must be your sort of heaven!

I'm a river man and fish the River Frome around Dorchester - check out their website www.grhe.co.uk

Weather looks good for the weekend - I'm itching to get

Looks good do Salmon or Sea Trout get up to your stretch.
How long is a healthy waiting list ?

Salmon & sea trout do get up to our stretch, but only late in the season when they are ready to spawn. Waiting list = 100, average turnover is 8, so the 100th person has a good few years wait!!

Re: Scallops

Hello everybody,

Just thought i'd post a few bits and pieces for all the dorset scallop plunderers! Was quite interested in how fast they grow etc. The information was for scallops off scotland but i assume that its probably quite similar to the life cycles of the ones in dorset!

"The scallop is a hermaphrodite animal that reproduces by releasing the male and female gametes separately into the surrounding water. Fertilization then takes place, and free-swimming larvae spend about three to four weeks in the water column before settling onto the seabed. Although by this time the larvae have assumed their adult form, they sometimes attach themselves to
seaweed for several months before eventually settling on to the seabed. Juvenile scallops usually spawn for the first time in the autumn of their second year.

The rate of growth and the age of a scallop can be determined from annual growth rings visible on the external surface of the shell. In Scotland, scallops can live for more than 20 years and can grow to lengths in excess of 175 mm. Factors such as water temperature and food availability can affect scallop growth rates, so that they can vary noticeably between different areas. In favorable conditions they can reach the minimum legal landing size of 100 mm in three years, but where conditions for growth are exceptionally poor, even ten year-old scallops may fail to reach this size.

They are found in both sheltered lochs and open exposed or tidal areas from
just below the low water mark down to depths of 180m or more. Scallops normally lie in shallow recesses excavated into seabed sediments consisting of sand, gravel and mud, even where these occur in patches
between rocks or stones. "

Just gotta find some now!

Jim

Re: Scallops

stuckinsurrey said:
Just gotta find some now!

Jim

Patience my shellfish loving friend I’ve told you before about that unhealthy obsession of yours, at least you’ve moved on from lobsters.:inlove
And the weekend will soon be here.

Our scallops grow quick. Minimum size is reached in about 3 years. It's easy to count the rings up to about 5 years old. After that the rings tend to be only a small distance apart and rather indistinct. 175mm is humongus. Anything over 150mm (6 inches) is a rare monster indeed. We have lots of small ones due to regular harvesting of "size" scallops. You can't get many freediving as they are so heavily fished. Last year I had 6 one day freediving which is good for Guernsey. One of them was a 6-incher which was probably bigger than any I had with the tanks.

Dave

Scallops in Dorset... Naaa mate not round here..Never seen one.... Far to deep for freedivers to reach and they a deadly poisonous for 99.99% of the year.

No don’t say that Jim might end up in a fit of depression and jump off something high, and we can’t have that as its his round (Beer and Crisps)

foxfish said:
Sorry I cant recognise any of those fish, it seems to me all the ones I see have a 5' long thin protrusion comming out of their heads!

I spotted the crab eventhough its nothing like the crabs most people show me!!!rofl

Reactions: podge
Doc great reply.

Any of you local boys know if it’s going to be fishable on Sunday?

I wana get out sunday but my mate can make it anybody fancy taking a newbie out?

Almostafish said:
Portlands not looking good. Just been out and it was lumpy and grim.

Thanks Bryn it's all shite then
If it’s ok I’ll give you a bell Sunday morning for last minute thoughts.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…