• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dorset Spearfishing 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
To my knowledge, unless anyone knows of resident shoals, all UK bass winter in the western approaches in deep water where the consistent temperature of the deeper water prepares them for spawning. This is where the French trawl for them in pairs because it is literally like shooting fish in a barrel once you locate a shoal. Also lots of dolphin by-catch which gets widely reported when they turn up dead on our beaches. Personally I have neither seen or shot bass any earlier than April on the mainland, anywhere. I know you can in the Channel Islands and I'm sure smaller ones are about in the estuaries which are designated nurseries so you can't catch them. I'm sure loads of people will now respond saying how many bass they've caught in Winter months. If so, they can tell you where to catch 'em :)

Reactions: Mr. X
Your experiences ring true with me too Spaniard. As yet, no bass before May! Only been at this game for a few years mind! We are fishing much better sites now so I'll be hoping to see earlier fish this year...

fearthespear said:
Your experiences ring true with me too Spaniard. As yet, no bass before May! Only been at this game for a few years mind! We are fishing much better sites now so I'll be hoping to see earlier fish this year...

Yeah and you and Will seem to see the bloody decent fish later in the year too!!!rofl rofl
...er roughly around a certain BBQ (or Braaivleis in Saffa!)

So, do you reckon they'll be other fish about?

What sort of flatties do you guys get (sole? plaice?). Any particular technique - do you shoot them? I've heard scuba divers sometimes stab them with a knife or the spike on the handle end of a crab hook.

Went down by the sea today..vis looked rubbish and it was very,very,very,very cold with the wind coming of the sea...

suddenly a 5mm suit just doesn't sound enough rofl rofl

More important than the suit thickness is your IOB (Inches of Blubber)measurement. I'm working on 1 inch minimum all over.
If you don't measure up try the old man dave fitness regime. Min 7000 calories (mainly jam doughnuts) taken daily. No exercise at all except for diving. Beats the hell out of practising breath holds! :D
Dave

Its not that bad! We are out for flatys on Saturday morning.. Mild Hypothermia is much underated. :cool:

glowworm said:
Went down by the sea today..vis looked rubbish and it was very,very,very,very cold with the wind coming of the sea...

suddenly a 5mm suit just doesn't sound enough rofl rofl
Pity about the viz. I am not convinced about 5mm not being enough though. Last time I looked, the wind blows over the water, not in it! ;)

Old Man Dave said:
More important than the suit thickness is your IOB (Inches of Blubber)measurement. I'm working on 1 inch minimum all over.
If you don't measure up try the old man dave fitness regime. Min 7000 calories (mainly jam doughnuts) taken daily. No exercise at all except for diving. Beats the hell out of practising breath holds! :D
Dave
At last a diet guru I can identify with!rofl The diet of Champions? (Atkins, Homer Simpson & Woody Allen! ;)).

Last edited:
My kids have birthday parties to attend for the next three weekends....how come my children have a busier social life than me..rofl rofl

Oh well can't say i'll mind not being able to get in with the weather as it is....on the plus side bouncy castles and triffles for the next three weekends :) :) :)

SurfnSpear said:
Mad dogs and Englishmen?rofl rofl Brrrrrrr......
Not expecting a lot of Midday sun:(!rofl ("Defy the sun!"- Windsor Davies as Battery Sergeant-Major 'Shut Up' Williams).
glowworm said:
....on the plus side bouncy castles and triffles for the next three weekends :) :) :)
Trifle - yum!;)

Lyme Bay?

Will be near Lyme Bay in April. Any suggestions for areas to spearfish? From Satellite pictures looks quite promising. [If anybody interested in coming out sometime let me know]. Might also try rod fishing from a day boat (any recommendations)?

Last edited:
Mr X if you want to go boat fishing give Ron Bailey a ring on 07850 180331.He has a boat called Susie B which he runs out of Lyme Regis.Surfinspear,myself and some friends went out with him last year and although cold with easterly winds it was a laugh.You can also email him ron@susie-b.co.uk and he will let you know if there is any space.He was very resonable with price and even lent us all the tackle and provided bait.

Perfect! Thanks, that was quick. :) I have just emailed him.

7c Better viz and 4 flatys between UK spearo and myself. Over all a nice dive but quite short at 1.30h.

Almostafish said:
7c Better viz and 4 flatys between UK spearo and myself. Over all a nice dive but quite short at 1.30h.
:cool: Were you diving from shore? It was really cold last night -- the coldest so far this winter according to the news! (Felt like it here too). Good to hear viz is improving. Wind prediction for Sunday has changed to 6mph out of the NW.

AlmostAFish, as you went out this morning, it sounds like you were fishing on the slack water around high tide?

[Is there a rule of thumb for judging size limits for flatties -- plate size?]

Last edited:
MR X, 'Almostafish' and I dived the tide as it was thumping in. Nothing quite like having your snorel humming in the tide as the water surges past you. Hard work.... nice. Cold? - naa just sorts the boys from the men :)

dive safe.

One of the boys here -- I only lasted 50mins. Well done Almost & UK, all I saw was a few scallops and one small flounder. It was a chilling 5c - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

UK Spearo said:
MR X, 'Almostafish' and I dived the tide as it was thumping in...
...did you dive before high tide at 10.40am? (I have to ask, the Dorset tides confuse me:confused: :eek: ). [The period immediately before high tide has been good for me in the past.]

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT