• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dummies Guide to Rigging a Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
How do you tie the mono with the Whipping technique? I saw the pictures but haven't seen the process explained. Did I miss it?

To mount that omer reel you can get a bracket from omer that you can screw into the riffe. I would not recommend using wood screws, but getting the metal inserts that you can thread machine screw into put on the gun so you never strip the wood. I am not sure where you can get them, but I would like to know.

To mount that omer reel you can get a bracket from omer that you can screw into the riffe. I would not recommend using wood screws, but getting the metal inserts that you can thread machine screw into put on the gun so you never strip the wood. I am not sure where you can get them, but I would like to know.

I get them at West Marine, but others have told me that not all of the stores carry them.

Attachments

• inserts.JPG
    inserts.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 371
  • inserts2.JPG
    inserts2.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 365
thank you i have been looking for them, i dont think the one i go to has them. never checked the book i guess i have to now

In the West Marine where I get them, they are in the section with the nuts, bolts, washers, etc.

Step 4

Push the mono so that quite a bit sticks out of the crimp. Use a lighter or a match to now burn the end of the mono. The mono will then form a "blob" at the end. This is done as a safety measure, should your crimps start to fail, due to improper crimping, the "blob" will not pull back through the crimp.

My apologies if this is an obvious post, but i'm very new. I noticed that in step 4 your burning the end of the line to create a "blob", but the post directly underneath I don't see any trace of the burn't line at all? it's almost like the slack has been cut off because there is no extra line after the crimp. Is that true?

LGHT,

I believe the blob is there but you can't see it (it is not that big). Then, you pull the other side of the line so the blob sits flush against the crimp. Finally, you crimp the crimp. In the second foto, the line has probably been pulled through so the blob is tight against the crimp. It is really easy if you watch someone do it live. Also though you can probably try it and you will see how it's done as you follow the instructions. Good luck.

LGHT,

I believe the blob is there but you can't see it (it is not that big). Then, you pull the other side of the line so the blob sits flush against the crimp. Finally, you crimp the crimp. In the second foto, the line has probably been pulled through so the blob is tight against the crimp. It is really easy if you watch someone do it live. Also though you can probably try it and you will see how it's done as you follow the instructions. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I got some new 400lb mono and crimps, but didn't want to shell out the $55.00 for the crimper at the LDS. I figured I could probably find one a lot cheaper online.

Anyone have a good online source to buy a crimping tool?

Hopefully I can get my gun working for a short dive this weekend!

I also would like to know how to do this.
Smee if you find out can you PM me.

Muzzle bungee & bungee float-line

...shorter lines means less tangles. When I dive shallow, either inside or just off the surf zone, I dive with a 5m bungee and a small float. this works really well cause the float is always close so the waves catch it less often and if you do shoot a big fish, the bungee can stretch to 20m giving you space to play it...
Does the bungee line float? (Just discovered 2 lots of bungee, one 5m & another 7m - nice lengths for short floatlines).

I also thought about using v. thin bungee as a simple, slim, muzzle shock absorber on my new lightweight speargun but was concerned that it might not be strong enough; others usually wrap braid around the outside as the ultimate load-bearer. I just did a simple lift test with the two thinnest sizes of bungee that I have (3mm & 4mm) & both easily held my 22lb weight belt. I wondered if anybody depended on this type of bungee cord (woven nylon covered rubber) directly in-line with their spear-line (i.e. with no additional external or internal braid)? I'm wondering if the nylon sheath is strong enough to make additional cord/braid unnecessary (for UK-size fish). If so, it would be a very simple, cheap, streamline, muzzle-bungee.

e.g.

------------------Spear-line------------OO======Bungee cord=====O[Muzzle]

Last edited:
Re: Muzzle bungee & bungee float-line

Does the bungee line float? (Just discovered 2 lots of bungee, one 5m & another 7m - nice lengths for short floatlines).

I also thought about using v. thin bungee as a simple, slim, muzzle shock absorber on my new lightweight speargun but was concerned that it might not be strong enough; others usually wrap braid around the outside as the ultimate load-bearer. I just did a simple lift test with the two thinnest sizes of bungee that I have (3mm & 4mm) & both easily held my 22lb weight belt. I wondered if anybody depended on this type of bungee cord (woven nylon covered rubber) directly in-line with their spear-line (i.e. with no additional external or internal braid)? I'm wondering if the nylon sheath is strong enough to make additional cord/braid unnecessary (for UK-size fish). If so, it would be a very simple, cheap, streamline, muzzle-bungee.

e.g.

------------------Spear-line------------OO======Bungee cord=====O[Muzzle]

MrX interesting you mention this as I have for quite a few years been using a bungee/Dyneema setup and can say it is amazing.
one barrel length is dyneema (serves as a leader if you will) and the next 2-3 wraps(depending on circumastances) is a 3mm marine bungee which can hold over 200#'s. I rig all my custom guns with the bungee and most of my clients are stoked with the performance of this setup....give it a try I'm sure you'll like it!

Reactions: Mr. X and foxfish
Thanks guys. I guess that answers my questions. Maybe I should check to see if my 3mm solid bungee will hold my weight (240lb?) ... but that'll wreck it.:D It's from Portland Oceaneering so it should be marine grade. Foxfish your solid bungee is being used just as I meant, although it looks thicker than mine, maybe 5mm? I can't help thinking those Omer bungees are intended to be strong enough to handle the job without the external windings (as the spiral of cord always looks fairly short)- but I could be completely wrong.

Next time I need to rig the Omer, I will try using the 3mm rubber tied directly into the muzzle line hole. I guess I will need to test the strength with the same knots that I intend to use. Was thinking of a double sheet bend to tie the bungee to the spearline's crimped loop (per Omer XXV thread) - so that it can be easily untied in the water if necessary & either a fixed loop (bowline), slip-knot at the muzzle (e.g.Palomar) or perhaps just a stopper knot (e.g. doubled thumb knot) or bead (or loop & bead) like Foxfish's - good ideas.

Last edited:
I tried rigging an Omer bungees just by tying the line to both ends but it soon broke (mamba power)
That red bungee has worked well for me, it is in fact 4mm multi strand covered with a stretchy fine mesh.
I can get you some if you want? it cost about £1 mtr.

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT