• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dummies Guide to Rigging a Speargun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
miles said:
I simply HATE carry-ing my crimper in my dive-bag. It rusts so quickly when exposed to a bit of saltwater :(

You need a Yamashita stainless crimper:) not cheap, but pretty much indestructable. I keep one on my boat in my spares box

cheers
dave
www.spearo.co.uk

hi miles!
thanks a lot, that really helped.
still two more questions:

1) how long should the line be for a 75cm omer?
(maybe you wrote it and i didnt get it)

2) when i load my gun the spear can move upwards in the muzzle,
so i am wondering, whether it is a good idea to run the line across
the spear, when it comes to the muzzle the second time.

hope it is clear what i meant.

anyway. thanx in advance for any answers.

charly

Hello all... this is a great thread.. can someone please post a closeup pic of how the double barreled crimp should be place and squeezed in a crimper?

Thanx
Zane

These aren't great photos, but I hope they help.

With a big crimper like this one, the jaws are centered on the crimp so that the ends are flared out, not cutting into the mono. With a smaller hand crimper, you will have to move it and crimp twice, but you should still leave the ends flared.

Attachments

• IMG_2814.JPG
    IMG_2814.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_2815.JPG
    IMG_2815.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 575
Reactions: Mr. X
Excellent!! Thanx Much. I crimped mine the first time wrong, i used point to cup on a double barrel but knew there was something wrong so i cut the line off and thought i should ask here.. heh...

Thanx again:)

Zane

hey guys, great thread!
there was talk about float line winders etc. Not a great idea in my opinion, but what works well and is used by most if the divers on my coast is this system:
say 30m floatline. shore entry. the line is tied up into little bundles of convinient lenghts, say 3. so when swiming through the surf the float is just behind you. you get to backline, and undo one bundle. now the line is 10m long. get deeper, undo another and so on. when comming back, you tie up new bundles again for easier exit through the waves.
the bundles are made by doing a figure of 8 between hand and forearm. they are secured by looping a few clove hitches around the two ends. this system is bullet proof cause the figure 8 means no twisting and so no tangles. the hitches are easy to pull off, so undoing it is a cynch. confused? probably. i'll try to take some pics and post them tomorrow.
cheers
mark

ok, here are some pics. sorry, a wooden floor aint the best background for an orange line.

so here's how it goes, with illustrations.

step 1. hold the line in your right hand, palm up, about 1.5m from the end.
step 2. wind the line between your palm and elbow, making a figure 8. you do this by talking the line out the right hand side of your palm, bringing it down and accross the LHS of your elbow. then back up and into the LHS of your palm. keep going till you have enough winds.
step 3. take the windings off with the left hand, making sure you keep the shape of the windings.
step 4. tie a few hitches, 2 or 3, around the end. the closer to the end the more streamlined, but bigger chance of coming off by accident.
repeat for the other bundles.
to take it apart, just pull the hitches off the end. the bundle comes apart tangle free.

let me know if more expl is needed.
cheers
mark

Attachments

• float line 010.jpg
    float line 010.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 409
  • float line 009.jpg
    float line 009.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 411
  • float line 008.jpg
    float line 008.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 364
  • float line 002.jpg
    float line 002.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 421
  • float line 001.jpg
    float line 001.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 398
Reactions: Mr. X
more pics........

Attachments

• float line 011.jpg
    float line 011.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 395
  • float line 013.jpg
    float line 013.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 338
How did I miss this one for a month? Thans Griff. I was looking for this since I traveled with Colin Chester (also from Durban) and saw him bundling his float lines like this. But we started getting fish so I forgot to ask him how to do it.

For years we've used in Brazil floats in which the line is wound around it (design inspired in a model we saw in South Africa many years ago) or with an European type hand winder. But it's a disadvantage too when boat diving with two or more guys in water: whenever you cross someone else's line, the damn things get tangled. I wanted to use a South African float without winder, but we dive near rocks here. Sometimes a swell throws the float over it, so we must keep the shortest line length possible.

I figure bundling Durban style may solve the problem, doesn't it?

Excellent post Griff!
Thank you very much for sharing that system.

Cheers,

Roberto

Hi ted

as you say, shorter lines means less tangles. When I dive shallow, either inside or just off the surf zone, I dive with a 5m bungee and a small float. this works really well cause the float is always close so the waves catch it less often and if you do shoot a big fish, the bungee can stretch to 20m giving you space to play it.

cheers
Mark

Doing high angle rescue work I learned that we use the figure eight exclusively for anchors and life support because it Is the knot that reduces the strength of the rope the least, a Bowline removes about 30% of your rated capacity a figure eight something like 14% this is why I use a figure eight follow thru on all of my line. To tie this just put an eight into the line pass it thru what ever you’re tying to and then follow the line back around the opposite direction you made the initial eight. As long as you put the lode bearing side of this knot (the loop) on the inside it will be very easy to untie.

Remember the four essential qualities of a good not
1 easy to tie
2 easy to untie
3 easy to identify
4 dose not significantly reduce the strength of the rope or line.

Last edited:
Hey Mark, can get another photo like this one in a larger size or resolution? My eyes are tired... and cannot see the loops very well when you enlarge it.

TIA and Cheers

Attachments

• float line 007.jpg
    float line 007.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 414
sorry but im new to this fourm and i want to know how to put on a break away rig on a riffe competitor

Its a Centro CH-30, and I got it from a big game fishing store in Newport Beach. I think I've seen it in on-line catalogs.

PS: I'm leaving for surgery on my shoulder in a few minutes, so my next posts will be delayed and may not make much sense before the general anesthetic wears off.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT